Author Topic: Conservatives lambast Romney, vow to take over Republican Party  (Read 10487 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Conservatives lambast Romney, vow to take over Republican Party
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2012, 03:07:37 am »
Solar power will work in the regions where there is enough sunlight during the entire year but as we go further from the equator and winter sun is less and less visible... It is simply impossible to use solar power in the Finnish winter as the sole source of electricity. And at least for now it is not viable to make the power in the equator and ship the electricity north (and south.)

Wave and tidal power is also quite good in the regions where using it is possible and wind turbines will help a bit (currently there is only a little pay off, it will take years untill a wind turbine has paid back the initial investment and you only get like 5 years when you are actually making profit with it untill repair is too expensive.) so we will still need several different sources of power.

And even though I support studying and using all clean energy sources I still consider nuclear power to be one of the cleaner forms of electricity production. (Maybe Fusion plants when we finally get them figured out.)

And don't forget the Generation IV Reactors.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2012, 03:21:18 am »
Finland is a good point. You guys can't really use a whole lot of solar power, can you?

The trouble with nuclear power is that the expected payoff from R and D is so low. If the payoff from Nuclear R and D is one dollar of improved efficiency for every dollar of investment, the ratio for solar is 1:50. Almost no money has been spent on solar R and D, and yet it's had astounding efficiency returns. By contrast, the dumptrucks of money poured in nuclear (and coal and oil...) have done almost nothing.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 03:26:21 am by Lt. Fred »
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2012, 03:23:22 am »
ATTENTION PEOPLE!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_IV_reactor

Generation IV reactors (coming 2030 if we keep working on them) will create waste that is only radioactive for few centuries rather than milleniums!

And guess what else? They can use the waste from older reactors as fuel.

And this is just one of the reasons why science is cool.
Now if there were some way to recycle the bullshit from politicians' mouths.