Author Topic: Random Thoughts Thread  (Read 159809 times)

Even Then

Re: Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #360 on: December 04, 2015, 01:13:30 am »
We should totally do a session.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #361 on: December 04, 2015, 02:30:14 am »
Just a reminder that the best "munchkin" build in FATAL is a grappling based character with a massive cock because raping opponents to death is the fastest way to kill them...

...This was explained to me by someone who likes that game.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Even Then

« Reply #362 on: December 04, 2015, 02:35:03 am »
...unironically?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #363 on: December 04, 2015, 06:55:56 am »
It really is. Just ask Mr Garrison.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #364 on: December 04, 2015, 07:45:44 am »
We should totally do a session.

for your sake and ours, i don't think that's a good idea.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Even Then

« Reply #365 on: December 04, 2015, 11:33:31 am »
Christian rock's playing at this café and I'm thinking "man, these people sure are enthusiastic about giving away the agency of their lives, flagellating themselves as intrinsically filthy, sinful and worthless and reducing themselves to puppets and vehicles of God's will". Like some of the lyrics are:

"We ain't nothing but the conduits
He's got the power, he'll light the switch"

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #366 on: December 04, 2015, 11:37:36 am »
For some, it keeps them from having to handle actual responsibility.  After all, the one who's ultimately responsible for everything is the guy upstairs, so why worry about being responsible yourself?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #367 on: December 04, 2015, 11:44:28 am »
You know, I've never thought about it like that before. Huh.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #368 on: December 04, 2015, 01:04:55 pm »
Reading thru some of the early drama on the board for shits and giggles...I gotta say, this place has, if anything, become a hell of a lot tamer than it used to be.  Nowadays, its just a poster or two being obtuse knobs when, used to be, we had Keiro fucking Eni and Miles out of several hundred dollars, Lighthorseman calling everyone pigfuckers, Joey mocking the victims of the Boston Marathon Bombing, Nappy being a complete prick-with-power...shit's comparatively smooth, today.  If ya ever think we're off the deep end, remember that, at one time, we had an admin who said we should be glad we're allowed to speak against mod decisions publicly.  UP ain't shit, compared to that.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #369 on: December 05, 2015, 05:32:14 am »
On topic of the horrors of war: Imagine that you are one of the many women who do volunteer work where your task is to wash the bodies of dead soldiers before burial. In Finland there was a lot of work done to ensure that everyone who died would be brought back home for burial (rather than being buried at the front as many armies do instead) and if you are doing this at your hometown many of those dead young men are going to be people you personally knew. ...And then you find out that one of the bodies is your own son. And odds are that the letter notifying his family of his death hasn't reached you yet so this is how you find out about it.

Which is a thing that actually happened at least to one person as I discovered in a FB history/war group.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #370 on: December 05, 2015, 05:51:47 am »
Yeah, that's got to ruin your day.

Even Then

« Reply #371 on: December 07, 2015, 09:06:39 am »
When you respond to someone who's criticizing you or your opinion with "well it's my opinion and I have the right to it, freedom of speech", you've basically conceded that you don't understand what conversation is and therefore your input is worthless. No one is saying that your opinion is not yours. No one is trying to reach into your head and pluck it away from you. They're using their freedom of speech to comment on your freedom of speech. You Jell-O-brained parasite.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #372 on: December 07, 2015, 10:02:21 am »
Well, not everyone wants to debate about opinions. If I say that I don't like mayonnaise and suddenly crowds of mayo lovers start trying to debate me on how mayo is great and healthy and so on. At some point "well it's just my opinion" is the only defense available. Kinda like this situation:

Later the sealion goes on the net and complains about people who don't like sealions but can't defend their opinions.

Even Then

« Reply #373 on: December 07, 2015, 10:05:09 am »
Okay, fair enough.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #374 on: December 07, 2015, 10:28:31 am »
Well, not everyone wants to debate about opinions. If I say that I don't like mayonnaise and suddenly crowds of mayo lovers start trying to debate me on how mayo is great and healthy and so on. At some point "well it's just my opinion" is the only defense available. Kinda like this situation:

Later the sealion goes on the net and complains about people who don't like sealions but can't defend their opinions.

Oh Jesus Christ, that fucking comic.  When your strawman is more sympathetic than the people we're supposed to side with, you're a really bad writer.

I can definitely see where sea-lioning could be a legitimate thing.  Like…

Post: “Gonna meet my cousin for lunch after church today.”
Random reply: “I’d like to have a polite conversation about your misguided belief in religion”

But there is a major difference between “intrusive, unnecessary (albeit civil) discussion” and “a conversation I would prefer to avoid because it would require examining my biases and pre-concieved notions.”  Yeah, sea-lioning is an Internet thing, but it's not an excuse.

Not to mention the fact that certain people use the term as an excuse to avoid having to defend their statements.

Besides, the fact is that, since sea lions are apparently sapient in this universe, the woman was being blatantly racist.  Replace the sea lion with a black man and the whole thing falls apart.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:34:14 am by Ultimate Paragon »