Author Topic: Random Thoughts Thread  (Read 159290 times)

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #510 on: March 21, 2016, 06:13:41 pm »
So I thought of the best argument I would want to take place, a Flat-earther and a Hollow-earther I want to see two of those colossal idiot's argue as to who's inaccurate version of Earth is correct.

Why would you give either of them a platform? At best you'd get hours of anti-establishment whining, and at worst they'd use that platform to gain adherents.

Who made you the arbiter of who deserves a platform?

Okay, maybe that was a little unrealistic. But you've got to admit I would be the best qualified person for the job.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Even Then

« Reply #511 on: March 21, 2016, 06:39:57 pm »
I sincerely hate it when a person expresses an opinion and another person jumps in all "well, who made you the supreme arbiter of right and wrong?"

...no one did. I was expressing my own subjective opinion. Get off my ass with this arbiter bullshit and grow some context-reading comprehension and common fucking sense, maybe.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #512 on: March 21, 2016, 06:43:34 pm »
I sincerely hate it when a person expresses an opinion and another person jumps in all "well, who made you the supreme arbiter of right and wrong?"

...no one did. I was expressing my own subjective opinion. Get off my ass with this arbiter bullshit and grow some context-reading comprehension and common fucking sense, maybe.

Kid, I like your style.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #513 on: March 22, 2016, 09:38:46 am »
Why do dvd/blu-ray players have an "eject" button on the remote?  You have to get up and go over to the player to remove/swap the disc, so what's the point?

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #514 on: March 22, 2016, 10:03:50 am »
Perhaps it's so that your Certified Assistance Dog can grab the disc and crunch it up while glancing lovingly at you and wagging his tail? Or, should you be so lucky, it's so your Certified Assistance Monkey can grab the disc and Frisbee it at you, screeching with evil simian glee at your expression of helpless shock and betrayal as the shiny-shiny smacks right into your face, because you're a quadriplegic?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #515 on: March 22, 2016, 10:57:34 am »
I'd say the 2nd one is probably the reason.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #516 on: March 25, 2016, 04:25:56 am »
Just realized the "angsty teen" sterotype is rooted in mocking depressed people.
That's a bit of a stretch. Teen angst is largely a combination of being scared and unsure of the future and good old fashioned raging hormones. Whether or not it's in poor taste to mock it is a whole other debate, but it's rather absurd to suggest something that something pretty much every otherwise mentally healthy person goes through at that age is a mental illness.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #517 on: March 25, 2016, 06:01:04 am »
Yeah, having been both an angsty teen and a teen (and adult) with actual depression I have to say they're kind of two different things.  Albeit two different but often intertwining things.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #518 on: March 25, 2016, 03:10:08 pm »
Is it really a stereotype if it's true? I mean, let's be honest, a significant percentage of teens, possibly even a majority of teens are, for lack of a better term, angsty.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Even Then

« Reply #519 on: March 29, 2016, 02:00:53 am »
I actually appreciate the Youtube genre (is it even a genre? broader concept, whatever) of "people play games/try new foods/do some other pedestrian activity and react to it and try to be funny but not like in a scripted Internet Reviewer way". Like, vlogs and Let's Plays and shit. It feels kinda down-to-earth? Like, this is just some guy/gal/whatever like the rest of us sharing their experiences and feelings on something and fucking around and passing the time and having fun, it has a feeling of closeness and casual sharing to it. There might not be any groundbreaking philosophical discourse or height of comedy going on, but it has the feel of proximity to it, except it's long-distance and one-sided. I like it, it feels homely and sincere and unpretentious.

I don't know, I'm tired.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:04:04 am by Even Then »

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #520 on: March 31, 2016, 06:10:38 pm »
Hong Kong 97 is pretty much a real life video game creepypasta.  Just describe the game out loud to understand why.

Even Then

« Reply #521 on: April 02, 2016, 12:39:33 am »
That chilling feeling when your mother likes a Facebook post you made.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #522 on: April 03, 2016, 12:56:07 am »
The Japanese book that I'm studying has "culture clips" in it where it describes various aspects of their culture. The one I read today states that the Japanese often refer to green items as blue. For example, a ripe granny smith apple would be called blue, or a green traffic light would be referred to as blue (even though they're both green). This is strange to me, but I'm trying to think of any cultural equivalents we have, since I'm sure they exist.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Even Then

« Reply #523 on: April 03, 2016, 01:27:18 am »
Did they say anything about the significance of it?

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #524 on: April 03, 2016, 01:51:30 am »
The Japanese book that I'm studying has "culture clips" in it where it describes various aspects of their culture. The one I read today states that the Japanese often refer to green items as blue. For example, a ripe granny smith apple would be called blue, or a green traffic light would be referred to as blue (even though they're both green). This is strange to me, but I'm trying to think of any cultural equivalents we have, since I'm sure they exist.

One that comes to mind is English speakers typically referring to cyan as a blue color instead of a distinct blend of green and blue.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.