Author Topic: SHOTS FIRED - shootings and killings mega-thread  (Read 24646 times)

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
Re: SHOTS FIRED - shootings and killings mega-thread
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2015, 06:12:48 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34993344

Police believe that 28-year-old Syed Rizwan Farook, an inspector with the department, left the party following a dispute and returned with his partner, 27-year-old Tashfeen Malik, to carry out the shooting.

I'm going with right-wing white nationalists, because it's the sort of thing they do innit.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2015, 09:50:47 am »

Earlier I heard that ISIS wasn't claiming responsibility but they were dancing with glee A few minutes ago I read their names and they were all middle eastern in origin, so get ready to be hearing a lot about that.

I saw their names too. I heard a few people say they were middle eastern names as well and I just rolled my eyes. They aren't middle eastern names at all but Pakistani. Which actually had me thinking that it might not be ISIS at all but maybe Al Queda rearing it's ugly head.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 12:03:38 pm by rookie »
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2015, 10:58:58 am »
Apparently Syed, his wife, and a third person carried this out.  So of course let the ISIS-link rumors spread.  Though I wouldn't be surprised if this was Saudi Arabia throwing a cell together to get America involved in a war with ISIS.

Ironbite-because that's also a possibility.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #123 on: December 03, 2015, 01:26:29 pm »
Who cares about the motive the solution is clearly more guns for everyone....
I'm going wait a few days and see how turns out, too may rumors floating around right now.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 02:35:00 pm by nickiknack »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2015, 02:14:35 am »
http://warisboring.com/articles/san-bernardino-killers-were-rare-hybrid-terrorists/

Apparently the San Bernardino attack is rather confusing as it doesn't fit the definition of "regular" spree killers acts or terrorist attack and is a mix of both.

Unlike the San Bernardino killers, pseudocommandos often do not define their killings in ideological or political terms. In many cases, workplace killers and school shooters who “go postal” kill people whom they simply felt wronged them. It’s hard to call that terrorism.

On the other end of the spectrum, terrorist organizations such as the Islamic State have explicit political justifications for their atrocities, but the assailants often have little — if any — personal connection to their targets. They commonly choose crowded areas simply because that’s where the people are, though there also may be some symbolic importance.

...But instead, these attackers chose targets that they knew while their attack was clearly motivated by political reasons. ...Except that there is no link found to DAESh or any other terror group so far so these terrorist seem to be merely "fanboys." Meaning that, yes they did do this attack in the name of Islam but unlike the Paris attacks this was not something that was planned by a large terrorist organization that trained and armed the attackers. These people were just a few random people who decided to act for their cause.

The closest thing to something like this was a 2014 incident:

And if you think this is meaningless debate and we should just label this as Islamic terrorism and move on here is the problem:

How do we prevent something like this? Government agencies can spy on terrorists and try to find out if they are preparing an attack but if some loners or small groups with no connection to terrorists make plans like this (and there are plenty of guidebooks on the net) it is much harder to catch them.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2015, 07:01:08 am »
askold, i think you forgot to post links in your post.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2015, 10:59:14 am »
I wonder how long it's going to take for some right wing fucknugget to fire bomb a mosque over this, I already hearing "ALL MUSLIMS ARE EVILZ" over it.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2015, 11:13:46 am »
I wonder how long it's going to take for some right wing fucknugget to fire bomb a mosque over this, I already hearing "ALL MUSLIMS ARE EVILZ" over it.

Wonder if they'll attack a Sikh temple by mistake, like Wade Michael Page did.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2015, 07:54:45 pm »
Ha, I saw a redneck scream at a Russian Orthodox priest once. No doubt he'd scream "terrorist" at Hassidic Jews, too.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2015, 08:38:50 pm »
You know what though, the whole gun control debate is wrong. People are worried that if you ban guns only the criminals will have guns. You know what i don't care if criminals have guns. They are going to use those guns to commit crimes and make money. It is in fact extremely counterproductive for them to actually shoot them. Makes it much more likely they will be caught and receive a higher sentence. The people who you want to avoid having guns are creepy lonely people who one day snap and stalk through your work with a high powered rifle/ shotgun systematically killing all the people who looked at them funny over the past 10 years.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2015, 02:16:35 am »
http://warisboring.com/articles/san-bernardino-killers-were-rare-hybrid-terrorists/

Apparently the San Bernardino attack is rather confusing as it doesn't fit the definition of "regular" spree killers acts or terrorist attack and is a mix of both.

Unlike the San Bernardino killers, pseudocommandos often do not define their killings in ideological or political terms. In many cases, workplace killers and school shooters who “go postal” kill people whom they simply felt wronged them. It’s hard to call that terrorism.

On the other end of the spectrum, terrorist organizations such as the Islamic State have explicit political justifications for their atrocities, but the assailants often have little — if any — personal connection to their targets. They commonly choose crowded areas simply because that’s where the people are, though there also may be some symbolic importance.

...But instead, these attackers chose targets that they knew while their attack was clearly motivated by political reasons. ...Except that there is no link found to DAESh or any other terror group so far so these terrorist seem to be merely "fanboys." Meaning that, yes they did do this attack in the name of Islam but unlike the Paris attacks this was not something that was planned by a large terrorist organization that trained and armed the attackers. These people were just a few random people who decided to act for their cause.

The closest thing to something like this was a 2014 incident:
There’s a precedent for this. In May 2014, 22-year-old college student Elliot Rodger stabbed his three roommates to death and drove around the college town of Isla Vista, California shooting at pedestrians. In his manifesto, Rodger singled out women and blamed them for his loneliness, and “beta” males — which included his roommates — for their success with relationships.

And if you think this is meaningless debate and we should just label this as Islamic terrorism and move on here is the problem:

How do we prevent something like this? Government agencies can spy on terrorists and try to find out if they are preparing an attack but if some loners or small groups with no connection to terrorists make plans like this (and there are plenty of guidebooks on the net) it is much harder to catch them.
Ok, the latter quote didn't work at first because I accidentally tried to turn it into an image...

Guizonde: Didn't this link show?     http://warisboring.com/articles/san-bernardino-killers-were-rare-hybrid-terrorists/
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2015, 04:25:51 am »
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVdJcrNUwAAYeZS.jpg

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/673087427058245632/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/new-york-times-gun-control-1.3352528

I'm only linking to the image because it's the front page of the December 5 edition of the New York Times (posted on their Twitter account, however). It's the first editorial on their front page in 95 years, and it's about gun control. (The last one was after the Republicans nominated Harding for President.)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2015, 08:33:11 am »
thanks askold, and i saw no links at all in your original post, just the sentence structure that indicated that there were links. of course, i should've quoted your post and manually checked.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯