Author Topic: This may be an attempted conversion...  (Read 3081 times)

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
This may be an attempted conversion...
« on: June 04, 2013, 05:53:38 pm »
But it is also an indictment of the American education system.  And these two kid's parents. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0jbHfpwZrQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0jbHfpwZrQ</a> 

Offline starseeker

• God
Re: This may be an attempted conversion...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 08:31:13 pm »
15 seconds in...this is gonna end so so badly.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 08:57:26 pm »
This was so painful to watch...

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 08:58:54 pm »
So India is an Asian country in Africa. This girl was very patient with these twats.

Reminds me of our uni neighbours (who were inbred texans or something) asking my Indian flatmate where India was and saying 'Isn't that, like, a river somewhere?'.

It was a shame too because we had our own US flatmate, from NYC, who was actually a great guy and pretty smart.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 09:42:36 pm »
If it had been just audio, I would have guessed that Molly was maybe 10 years old, and have thought it was cute.

This is not surprising, but it depresses me, nevertheless.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Clochette

• Bishop
  • spin spin sugar
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 10:52:45 pm »
"I had two friends over, one regular one and one Indian one."

Oh come on. That's something you would say to be ironically racist, and only if you really weren't trying.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 08:12:46 am »
I'm not going to watch this. I hope the Indian tells the two morons to go jump in a lake or walk off at the end.

I hope these two dorks are stupid because they're poorly homeschooled by stupid parents. If they go to a regular public school then that's an incredibly crappy school (or these two sleep through classes & get straight Fs).

Offline chiheisen

• Apprentice
  • Don't mind me. I'm just your average lurker.
This may be an attempted conversion...
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 09:53:03 am »
Honestly, I really admire Saraa's patience.  Of course, a lot of what she said was edited out, but she seemed to handle the situation very maturely.  Good on her.  She doesn't need "friends" like that.
一期一会

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 12:58:34 pm »
A minute and a half into this, I'd swear this was a joke. That they all wrote this for a (pretty piss poor) laugh. India is an African country in Asia.  But then it kept going.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 02:40:37 pm »
Oh ungod please be a joke.

If not, kill them and burn the bodies. The infection might spread.
Σא

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 11:26:03 pm »
Either this is a very bad parody or this is real. I'm inclined to believe in the latter

The Indian girl, Saraa looked extremely uncomfortable and only relented to "converting" to Christianity because she was pressured to do so. She was basically led to that house under false pretenses and entrapped by these idiot teens who basically just wanted some kudos (with God?) for proselytizing to Saraa.

Also, the ignorance of Saraa's country and culture shows that these two girls are prejudiced. I only hope that Saraa stays away from these two and continue with her own practice, if I was her, I would have walked out as soon as they started to preach to me.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 07:10:30 am »
Either this is a very bad parody or this is real. I'm inclined to believe in the latter

The Indian girl, Saraa looked extremely uncomfortable and only relented to "converting" to Christianity because she was pressured to do so. She was basically led to that house under false pretenses and entrapped by these idiot teens who basically just wanted some kudos (with God?) for proselytizing to Saraa.

Also, the ignorance of Saraa's country and culture shows that these two girls are prejudiced. I only hope that Saraa stays away from these two and continue with her own practice, if I was her, I would have walked out as soon as they started to preach to me.

I'd love to see a followup to this video, a background story or something! Real? Hoax? What's the source? Are there more articles about this video?

UPDATE: Fortunately, it appears to be a Troll/Poe/Satire

This person, a gal who calls herself Eight13 made a response video but was told later that it was a troll/satire. However Eight13's response video is still up because she states that her point still stands.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apnKn9DrbjY
Read the description on this video to get the full story.

Heck, here's the text of the description for those who don't feel like clicking the link:

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

link to original video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvVAV0...

yeah so she pissed me off.

sorry for all the fidgeting, i tend to do that when i'm angry.
i had this whole awesome speech planned out, but i lost it when i started recording, and this is what came out of it.

also, i had a lot of people talking to me about the whole untouchables thing, so i looked it up.
apparently the "untouchables" are considered to be the lowest class of people in india, who are born into that class and stay there their whole lives.
http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/features/unto...
(^ for anyone who wants to know more)
no, it's not what i thought it was when i was recording the video, but technically it's still extremely offensive. i would assume that no one enjoys being born into this class, and, assuming that molly actually did know about this group of people and wasn't just using the word because she heard it somewhere, she grouped all indians, including her friend (ex-friend by now, i would hope), into that class of people who are pretty much treated like scum by the rest of their own society.
in my opinion this actually escalates the severity of the racism used in molly's video. whichever way she meant to use it, it's still pretty damn offensive.

EDIT:
august 16th, 2009

I GET IT, I GOT TROLLED.
or molly was just making an "intelligent" statement on how christians are perceived.
whatever.
i still don't think it's funny, and i still don't like the video. i still think it was offensive. but i'm tired of getting the same comments over and over again.
so, molly proved poe's law to be true. i don't really care, that's all she accomplished, aside from infuriating and offending several people. and maybe amusing those who did notice the tag and happened to know what it was referring to.
long story short, i'm tired of this whole situation. i'm not going to take the video down, because i feel that that would symbolize taking back my initial reaction - which i won't. i still feel equally as disgusted and frustrated as i did when i first watched molly's video. except now, it's for different reasons.
i would appreciate if no one treated me like i'm a complete idiot, as some people have been, thank you to everyone who hasn't, anyway.

i'm done with this; you won't hear any more from me on this subject.

Troll satirists who make fun of stupidity tend to do stuff in a way for maximum troll effect. A regular satirist would do something THEN reveal the joke. Trolls, however, don't have a clear punchline for maximum annoyance. In other words, they rarely ever come out and say "YO! THIS IS SATIRE!" because, being trolls, they want to remain ambiguous because it drives people crazy. There's other videos where Saraa (the Indian girl) being proselytized and she doesn't speak out against the other two & just meekly submits to the pressure despite loathing it. If it was a normal satire, Saraa would just ditch these dorks but since she's kowtowing with no end in sight, it makes it more "trolly". There's folks in the comment section exhorting Saraa to stand up for herself.

Since these three are simply troll characters, it appears Saraa (possibly not even her real name) is in on it! These three girls are simply trolling while protesting religious zealotry & bigotry in a Sasha Baron Cohen-like way. I hate trolls but I don't mind it if it's done to prove an important point rather than "lulz" alone. Unfortunately, well-meaning people who are allies to the troll's point get sucked in as well, therefore trolling is not a good way to protest stupidity. "Protest" is simply an excuse to be a jerk.

I'll take trolling seriously as a satirical protest when they do this stuff on ONLY fundie websites.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 09:00:13 am by SpukiKitty »

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 12:01:17 pm »
I'm so glad they were just goofing. But yeah - a lot of decent people are upset, since the trolling is convincing. Molly should put up a link to a "how we made it/behind the scenes" kind of clip where all the girls chat about the trolling and why they did it.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 09:17:11 pm »
I'm so glad they were just goofing. But yeah - a lot of decent people are upset, since the trolling is convincing. Molly should put up a link to a "how we made it/behind the scenes" kind of clip where all the girls chat about the trolling and why they did it.

I guess that's the nature of video trolls...they don't make a "You been TROLLED!" video. It has to take a REALLY EPIC backlash to make them admit it. They like to keep up the charade as long as possible for maximum troll-effect. Really annoying people. You have to go to third parties to get the truth.