Author Topic: Vox Day: I don't put women in video games.  (Read 8545 times)

Offline the_ignored

• Bishop
    • Skeptic Friends Network
Vox Day: I don't put women in video games.
« on: February 22, 2014, 04:31:37 am »
Vox Day is about to make a video game with no female characters...for realism!  What kind of game? 

Read on:
http://manboobz.com/2014/02/19/vox-day-my-orc-and-troll-fighting-game-wont-have-any-women-in-it-because-that-wouldnt-be-historically-accurate/

Or his own site:
http://voxday.blogspot.com/2014/02/why-we-dont-put-girls-in-games.html
I am a game designer. I am designing and producing a game that does not, and will not, have a single female character in it. This is not because I am misogynistic. This is not because I do not women to play the game. This is because putting women in the game makes no sense, violates the principle of the suspension of disbelief, and will not make the game any better as a game.

I am the lead designer of First Sword, a combat management game. The game has orcs and men, elves and dwarves. It has goblins and trolls. But it has no women.

He goes on:
Putting women in the game would be an act of brutal sadism, an act of barbarism even by pagan Roman standards. While the Romans did occasionally put female gladiators in the arena, they were there as a comedic act.

Isn't Vox the same guy who came up with "hypotheticals" where honor killings benefit women?  This link goes to the fstdt site.  It will have a link to his own site so you can see the context.
How do honor killings benefit women?

Because female promiscuity and divorce are strongly correlated with a whole host of social ills, from low birth and marriage rates to high levels of illegitimacy.

I am assuming that he's not actually serious; even so:  To not put women in video games because it's too vicious, while talking about this shit above is insane.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Vox Day: I don't put women in video games.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 05:28:22 am »
While it wasn't very common to see women in combat, historically, when the shit really hit the fan, weapons were given to anyone who could swing, aim, and shoot them.  That included women.

Can't really afford to be picky when the enemy is knocking on your door and one more person with a weapon could make a difference between you seeing tomorrow or not.

Offline tempus

• Bishop
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 05:34:31 am »
Vox Day is about to make a video game with no female characters...for realism!  What kind of game? 

Read on:
http://manboobz.com/2014/02/19/vox-day-my-orc-and-troll-fighting-game-wont-have-any-women-in-it-because-that-wouldnt-be-historically-accurate/

Or his own site:
http://voxday.blogspot.com/2014/02/why-we-dont-put-girls-in-games.html
I am a game designer. I am designing and producing a game that does not, and will not, have a single female character in it. This is not because I am misogynistic. This is not because I do not women to play the game. This is because putting women in the game makes no sense, violates the principle of the suspension of disbelief, and will not make the game any better as a game.

I am the lead designer of First Sword, a combat management game. The game has orcs and men, elves and dwarves. It has goblins and trolls. But it has no women.

He goes on:
Putting women in the game would be an act of brutal sadism, an act of barbarism even by pagan Roman standards. While the Romans did occasionally put female gladiators in the arena, they were there as a comedic act.

Isn't Vox the same guy who came up with "hypotheticals" where honor killings benefit women?  This link goes to the fstdt site.  It will have a link to his own site so you can see the context.
How do honor killings benefit women?

Because female promiscuity and divorce are strongly correlated with a whole host of social ills, from low birth and marriage rates to high levels of illegitimacy.

I am assuming that he's not actually serious; even so:  To not put women in video games because it's too vicious, while talking about this shit above is insane.

Because, as we all know, orcs and trolls are completely historically accurate. 
Congratulations.  You found Ronald Reagan. He’s living in each and every one of you.  Just waiting to gnaw his way out of your chest and skitter off into the ventilation ducts.

--Neckfucker

That shape...that figure...those curves...god damn the weighted companion cube has never looked so good!

--Anonymous

Los Angeles is a city of brick, steel, concrete, and asphalt. There's no room for cows.

--CommanderCoffee

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 06:03:01 am »
Tempus took the words out of my mouth. But he's right because I can suspend disbelief to the point of dwarves but not women in combat. The greatest suspension of disbelief is believing that Vox isn't a misogynist. After all women having autonomy is objectively bad and every woman should be in the hand of a male. They are weak and should focus on bearing children and when he talks about punching women he clearly has an erection but no, he's clearly not a misogynist.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 06:04:48 am by davedan »

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 06:19:13 am »
Holy shit, is he fucking trolling us?! Trolls and Goblins are okay but you can't have one fucking woman swing a sword around in your fantasy game? I don't have a reaction .gif that can accurately portray how this makes me feel.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 06:24:54 am »
Has Vox ever provided proof that he's in Mensa? I realize that even intelligent people can hold moronic beliefs, but the flaws in his logic are so glaring that he has to be either a massive dumbass or the world's most dedicated troll.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 08:38:22 am »
Trolls and Goblins but no women huh?

Ironbite-oh look I think Vox has jumped the shark.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 09:02:44 am »
Vox, kindly get the fuck out of the industry before you embarrass yourself...some more.  My question is: does he actually expect this thing to sell more than a few dozen copies?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 09:08:08 am »
That's if he's lucky and his mom knows what a video game is.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 09:58:04 am »
Apparently, this guy has never heard of Boudicca.  Or Princess Pingyang.  Or Nzinga Mbande.  Or Isabella of Castile.  Or any number of other warrior women.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 12:36:13 pm »
I forgot who this guy was, so I looked him up.

Apparently he got expelled from the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America last year after an unsuccessful bid for presidency of the group resulted in him calling a black author "half-savage" and an editor "a fat frog." And in February last year, John Scalzi responded to their ongoing feud by donating $5 to charity every time Beale mentioned him, and some others echoed it; he got over $50,000 raised in less than a week.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 01:08:35 pm »
... And in February last year, John Scalzi responded to their ongoing feud by donating $5 to charity every time Beale mentioned him, and some others echoed it; he got over $50,000 raised in less than a week.
Well, at least he did some good, if indirectly.

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 01:28:15 pm »
I still can't get over how stupid this guy's username is. And I thought I was bad at this...

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 02:06:54 pm »
I still can't get over how stupid this guy's username is. And I thought I was bad at this...

IT ALL BELONGS TO THE VOX
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 02:17:13 pm »
I don't particularly care who Vox includes in his game. He's not required to appease everyone else in his own creative works.

If the game ends up being finished at all, it will be judged on whether it's fun to play or not, which is the only thing that really matters.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.