Author Topic: WTF. Colleges and Employers asking for Facebook Passwords  (Read 6393 times)

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
WTF. Colleges and Employers asking for Facebook Passwords
« on: March 13, 2012, 10:36:06 am »
I think even Retardicons have to agree this is overreaching run-amok. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVGANJXieac" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVGANJXieac</a>

Offline Qlockworkcanary

• Bishop
Re: WTF. Colleges and Employers asking for Facebook Passwords
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 10:42:12 am »
My first instinct as a work-around is to have a second FB account that is squeaky clean and non-informative for just such occasions.
"Out of the ash I rise with my red hair and eat men like air." - Sylvia Plath

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 11:38:40 am »
What if you don't have a Facebook account?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 11:42:34 am »
You're lying, everyone has a facebook, now give us your password. /idiot employers

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 11:54:36 am »
The sad thing is, I've seen supposed conservatives support this type of overreach.

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline The Lazy One

• Neonate
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 12:34:28 pm »
The sad thing is, I've seen supposed conservatives support this type of overreach.
Then they suck at being conservative, but then again, the majority of people who claim to be conservative kind of suck at it- hey dingbats, you're supposed to support LESS government/employer/etc intrusion into our business, not more!  >:(

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 06:56:21 pm »
When I filled out my Bar application, there was a question about social networking sites, but as far as I remember, they only asked for your account name. (I didn't have to provide anything since I don't have any of the media they asked about - Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter, IIRC.)
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 09:30:48 pm »
The EULA for most websites usually requires you to not give out your password. Of course, this requirement is usually just to cover their ass if you do something stupid and let an untrustworthy person at your stuff.

Yeah, just asking for the account or requiring you to “friend” them is a bit much. But actually asking for the password?! Do they have any idea what they sound like?
-A Pen Name

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 10:48:28 pm »
My reply would be: "My password is gofuckyourself."
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 10:51:43 pm »
When I filled out my Bar application, there was a question about social networking sites, but as far as I remember, they only asked for your account name. (I didn't have to provide anything since I don't have any of the media they asked about - Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter, IIRC.)

I could understand them wanting to know what your account is, for any number relatively innocent reasons. This asking for passwords has to be against the law. If it's not it damn well should be. They don't ask for the PIN number to your bank account do they? Hell no!

My reply would be: "My password is gofuckyourself."

I was thinking more along the lines of "(insert company name)canfelatemyasshole".
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 11:18:53 pm »
My first instinct as a work-around is to have a second FB account that is squeaky clean and non-informative for just such occasions.

I think that's against the terms of service. Then again, I bet giving away your pass also is a violation.

Then they suck at being conservative, but then again, the majority of people who claim to be conservative kind of suck at it- hey dingbats, you're supposed to support LESS government/employer/etc intrusion into our business, not more!  >:(

Government, no. Employer, yes.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 11:39:03 pm »
It's too bad I actually do have a facebook, even though I never use it.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 03:33:40 am »
I must say, asking for the password to facebook is just plain insane. I figure they need the facebook to actually log into the persons account because they have set their stuff to private viewing. However I just cant understand the reasoning. Someone might be a serial axe murderer and post about their latest kill on facebook, but it is still not within the jurisdiction of the company you work for. What you do in your spare time, be it badmouthing your company or stomping on kittens and as a result what you post on facebook is of no concern to your employer.

Given that I barely ever even use facebook, I almost feel like sure, they can have my password. But I am scared what will happen when they just up and hi-jack the account, like what happens to other people who carelessly give out their passwords.

Offline shadowpanther

• Sod it, this'll do.
  • Bishop
  • FOR SCIENCE!
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 02:41:46 pm »
As a man much wiser than myself once said: "Ahahahahahaha.....fuck that shit."
Fight Spam! Click Here!
"Kick logic to the curb and do the impossible!"- Kamina, Gurren Lagann.

"Telling someone they know a lot is like telling a man with a few grains of sand clinging to him that he possess much sand."-Stephen Fry

They say an Englishman's home is his castle; which is handy as my home IS a castle and I LAUGH from the top of the turrets.

Offline Murdin

• Bishop
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 03:50:18 pm »
Don't you know? Only governments can oppress. Only governments can be unjust. It's not oppression or injustice when it's done to the enemy, domestic or foreign. Any perceived unfairness is actually natural and thus an integral part of God's perfect plan for mankind, except when it's done by the government or the enemy.

That's, like, the entire American conservative ideology.