Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2016472 times)

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #10650 on: January 12, 2018, 05:05:45 pm »
So I finally deadlift my body weight and some other guy butts in on what should have been my moment of glory and says I didn't do it the way he thinks proper form is, and thus abnegating my work thus far. Says I was taught wrong and he knows "better form".

This is yet another person who out of nowhere decided to incite bitterness in me. I hate him beyond all reason.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10651 on: January 16, 2018, 10:26:11 pm »
Oh dear fuck, I had no idea my university was populated with so many complete fucking retards.  Someone mass-mailed about a thousand people with some spam and OH MY FUCKING GOD my fucking inbox almost literally EXPLODED.  As of this writing, I got nearly FIVE HUNDRED FUCKING EMAILS from a gaggle of syphilitic gibbons spewing a combination of idiotic bullshit and dead memes within a single hour.  Because nobody knows how email works and just keep hitting "reply all."  To a spam email.  If I wanted this insane a volume of concentrated failure, I'd go to 4chan.

TL;DR: Several hundred people went full retard on a spam email.  My inbox cries.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10652 on: February 03, 2018, 01:33:03 am »
I don't know if this is true of the English version but the Finnish dub of TRANSFORMERS RESCUEBOTS has the worst theme song ever.

I don't want to watch it but my kids do.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10653 on: February 03, 2018, 03:45:25 pm »
SUFFER!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10654 on: February 11, 2018, 10:02:04 pm »
My laptop is having connection issues; the wifi claims it can connect to things, but I can't get fucking anywhere.  Originally, it was just at the university and I blamed it on their shit-tier routers, but now its happening at home and ONLY to my laptop.  I think its a problem with SSL/TLS not working properly, but I'm actually completely utterly out of my depth, here.  Anyone got anything that might help a Windows 8.1 laptop securely connect again?  I actually kinda need it to do schoolwork in a timely manner.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10655 on: March 09, 2018, 01:21:27 am »
My AV decided that it would be fun to start eating up 100% of my CPU time and kick the processor temperature to 70+ even though I was doing nothing. Then it decided to eat up most of my available memory, too. And then it restarted itself after I force-closed the offending process (but I'd unplugged my internet cable so at least that wasn't so much of an issue).
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10656 on: March 11, 2018, 07:53:08 pm »
'Scuse me, Imma bitch a little bit about university...some more.

This entry's topic?  Writing/Speaking Intensive courses!  I get them if you're a useless waste of a degree liberal arts or business major, that's not up for debate.  Being able to write and spout out long streams of bullshit is most of their future job description, assuming they don't end up at Taco Bell.  But, for people that major in something useful having a job STEM fields, they're next to worthless.  Your average STEM major isn't going to be writing essays, having to worry about "grabbing the audience's attention" or any of that extraneous bullshit.  They aren't giving long-winded speeches about inane garbage; at most, they're doing a few minutes with a PowerPoint presentation.

Assuming I can write coherent English sentences and speak without sounding like a complete, blundering dipshit...why the fuck is this idiocy required?  Fuck, why can't I test out of it?  I am a computer science major, not a god damned essayist.  Most of what I'm gonna end up doing is going to involve less Word documents and more sitting in my boxers eating Cheetos and yelling at Visual Studio.

I'd be willing to bet the obscene amount of moronic bullshit is why a lot of people don't get out of graduate university.  They're crushed under the weight of utter nonsense.  Tailor the experience to the student, or at least the major.  If they don't know what they're gonna do (ie: if they're an idiot and jumped into uni as a freshman), maybe then give them some random bullshit to see what sticks.  For people like me, people that know what they're doing, what they wanna do for the next several decades, why require this bullshit?  Stop fucking us about with liberal arts nonsense and just make sure we can read, write, and speak coherently.  The gen-eds already cover that more than adequately.

I hate writing papers.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #10657 on: March 12, 2018, 06:05:11 am »
RH, my old man was a civil engineer all his adult life. You know the kind of engineer where it spills over into personal life? Yeah. Anyways, about 15 years ago a friend of mine going for mechanical engineering was over for a cookout or something. He was complaining of the same thing you are. Why tf do I have too waste my time with this bs! My old man's answer, from overhearing it, was between $10-30k a year in budget. One day you'll have to explain why you're asking for that money. If you sound like you know what you're doing to people who have no clue what exactly that is, your project is MORE LIKELY (I offer you no guarantees here) to get closer to proper funding.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10658 on: March 12, 2018, 09:36:43 am »
Except, Rook, that doesn't really require multiple writing and speaking courses that are unrelated to your subject matter.  The CS major at my uni has two writing intensives and one speaking intensive built-in and, honestly, that's one WI too many.  We get both a WI and an SI in CPSC 430, Software Engineering, where we basically learn the entire project lifecycle, which includes exactly what you're talking about.  Also, you're forgetting the fact that I'm a software engineer; the situation you described isn't part of my job description, that's more a project manager's role, which 430 covers.  We're already taught what we need in-major, the rest is needless filler.

All I really want is an experience actually tailored to what I'm going to most likely be doing because, as it is now, its a generic "one size fits all" approach which does not work for most students, myself included.  It isn't helpful and it puts us even further into debt than we already are because those classes?  Yeah, every one of 'em costs money and a lot of it, as much as if we were in their major area of focus.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10659 on: March 18, 2018, 01:49:22 am »
My CPU's been running really hot recently, so I finally opened up my computer to take a look inside and clean out a lot of dust.

And then, when I plug it back in and flick the power switch on, the power supply starts making a high-pitched whine.

Fuck.

And the thing's old (2007), so I'm honestly not sure if it's worth it to replace the power supply or just bite the bullet and get a new machine.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #10660 on: March 19, 2018, 03:41:46 am »
If your computer is 11 years old, it's long past time. Computers have an effective lifespan of 5-6 years normally.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10661 on: March 19, 2018, 03:52:00 am »
Mine are lucky to survive 2 years because I can only afford used computers.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10662 on: March 19, 2018, 01:20:32 pm »
If your computer is 11 years old, it's long past time. Computers have an effective lifespan of 5-6 years normally.

It sat dormant for four years, so while I got it 11 years ago, it's really only seven years old as far as use time is concerned.

But since it works fine otherwise (cleaning out all the dust cut the CPU temperature by about twenty to twenty-five degrees), I'd rather just replace the power supply. If need be, once I've done that, I could then replace the motherboard at a future date. (And then you get the old puzzle about the ship where every plank has been replaced--is it still the same ship?)

EDIT: Replaced the power supply. Its fan was kinda shot due to dust accumulation. Might replace the motherboard next, but we'll see. Seems to work fine.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 12:14:33 am by dpareja »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10663 on: March 25, 2018, 02:07:44 am »
A very good friend of mine was fired today. Years of medical training, experience and hard work and he's been barred from the entire medical profession simply for having a relationship with a patient. Such a huge waste. He's one of the nicest guys I've ever met and a genuinely brilliant vet.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #10664 on: March 25, 2018, 03:00:03 am »
'relationship with a patient' ...'vet' ...but not the really bad jokes thread?