Author Topic: Miss Universe allows trans contestants  (Read 12599 times)

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Miss Universe allows trans contestants
« on: April 10, 2012, 08:52:21 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/10/showbiz/miss-universe-transgender/index.html?eref=rss_topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+Top+Stories%29

The Miss Universe organization announced Tuesday it is ending its ban on transgender contestants after coming under scrutiny recently when a Canadian competitor was told she would be disqualified because she was born male.
Miss Universe officials insist the change is in spite of, not because of, legal threats from women's rights lawyer Gloria Allred made on behalf of contestant Jenna Talackova.

To be perfectly honest, I find the idea of surgically changing your gender to be really, really weird. Most of the people I've seen who've done this still look like they're part of their birth gender, making it seem like a rather ineffective procedure. With that said, I don't really care if people do it (why the hell should I?) and Jenna is one of the exceptions to the rule (picture in the link). If this controversy had never come up, I probably would not have known that she was once a guy. So, congrats to her for making it this far, sticking to her guns, and taking another step for LGBT rights and acceptance.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

QueenofHearts

Re: Miss Universe allows trans contestants
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 09:05:36 pm »
To be perfectly honest, I find the idea of surgically changing your gender to be really, really weird. Most of the people I've seen who've done this still look like they're part of their birth gender, making it seem like a rather ineffective procedure. With that said, I don't really care if people do it (why the hell should I?) and Jenna is one of the exceptions to the rule (picture in the link). If this controversy had never come up, I probably would not have known that she was once a guy. So, congrats to her for making it this far, sticking to her guns, and taking another step for LGBT rights and acceptance.

If what I've read is right, she began hormone blockers at 14 before puberty really kicked in and made any significant changes to the face and skeletal structure. Right now she's reaping the rewards for coming out early. But I'll mention it again that she should be allowed to enter. The sole criteria in these competitions is physical, skin deep, beauty, and if she is more beautiful than her cis counterparts, she should win and everyone should accept this* as a consequence of judging women solely on our looks.

And if I may make one slight correction, she was never a guy. Society just assumed she was.

*And by accept this, I mean none of that "well I'm not gay......" insecure rhetoric. That gets old fast  :-\

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 09:16:44 pm »
I meant that Jenna was male from a purely biological standpoint. This isn't a subject I've touched much ever, so I apologize if I word things a bit odd. Thanks for any and all corrections you guys n' gals make.

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 09:20:57 pm »
I meant that Jenna was male from a purely biological standpoint. This isn't a subject I've touched much ever, so I apologize if I word things a bit odd. Thanks for any and all corrections you guys n' gals make.

You're good. Sorry if you felt I worded it at you, I didn't mean to imply anything. But I know what meant and that you intended no offense :)

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 09:21:22 pm »
OH LAWD THOSE COMMENTS. Just one positive comment. Just one. That's all I'm asking for. Please?

Regardless, good for her. She is better-looking than most cis-women and she deserves to be in the competition. (Though I would prefer her without all the makeup, but whatever)

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 09:24:42 pm »

You're good. Sorry if you felt I worded it at you, I didn't mean to imply anything. But I know what meant and that you intended no offense :)
None taken. It's all good.

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 09:34:31 pm »
If she's fully transitioned, there's no reason not to let her compete. Not to be rude, but it's not like her trans status gives her unfair advantage over the other girls. If anything, it's something she needed to overcome.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 10:41:41 pm »
Quite frankly, gender is more of a social construct and nowadays those barriers are being broken and  people are starting to question what gender really is so I am glad that this woman is being allowed to compete in a beauty pageant and this is another huge step for transpeople.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 11:02:57 pm »
Good for the Miss Universe pageant!

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 12:22:25 am »
Thumbs up for this, man. If the person completed the trans surgery, why the hell not?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 12:32:58 am »

If what I've read is right, she began hormone blockers at 14 before puberty really kicked in and made any significant changes to the face and skeletal structure. Right now she's reaping the rewards for coming out early. But I'll mention it again that she should be allowed to enter. The sole criteria in these competitions is physical, skin deep, beauty, and if she is more beautiful than her cis counterparts, she should win and everyone should accept this* as a consequence of judging women solely on our looks.

And if I may make one slight correction, she was never a guy. Society just assumed she was.

*And by accept this, I mean none of that "well I'm not gay......" insecure rhetoric. That gets old fast  :-\

Amen!
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 02:31:54 am »
For the most part I am really happy about this. I mean she looks beautiful and deserves the right to compete.
That said I cant help but feel that the whole issue is loaded. If she wins I can see far too many people saying that she only won because of a pro-trans agenda, or she was given special consideration, etc. However if she looses, I can see equally loaded comments saying that she lost based on discrimination and such.

I know that this shouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately I can just see this becoming political. Unfortunately when things become political all who are involved are affected negatively. Even if she wins or looses on her own merit, I can see her being paraded around politically for other peoples agendas.

Offline MrsYoungie

• Neonate
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 12:21:35 pm »
Anyone objecting to trans-gender surgery being used to win a beauty pagent needs to look at all the other contestants and figure out just what about their looks they were born with!  Fake faces, fake boobs, fake butts.  So what's the big deal.
Also - just to prove I have a childish sense of humour - her name is pronounced like "Genital I covet"  really?   That's what I kept hearing.
Anyway - hooray for my fellow Canadian.  Doing what you want to do. Good on you!

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 12:42:36 pm »
Anyone objecting to trans-gender surgery being used to win a beauty pagent needs to look at all the other contestants and figure out just what about their looks they were born with!  Fake faces, fake boobs, fake butts.  So what's the big deal.
Also - just to prove I have a childish sense of humour - her name is pronounced like "Genital I covet"  really?   That's what I kept hearing.
Anyway - hooray for my fellow Canadian.  Doing what you want to do. Good on you!

Actually, beauty pageants ban contestants who have had plastic surgery. A lot of the comments are actually people saying that because she's had surgery to alter her appearance, she has an unfair advantage.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 12:57:34 pm »
On the one hand, "Yay, advancement!"  On the other, "Ugh.  Beauty pageant...".  Sigh.  I'm  happy for the breakthrough, regardless.  I just don't particularly care for the medium.