Author Topic: Literature & Fanfiction  (Read 12871 times)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Re: Literature & Fanfiction
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 10:35:35 am »
Hey, I have a relevant question.  Has reading a fanfic ever caused you to be so intruigued with a series you've never seen that you go and check it out?  I mean, you may wonder what you'd be doing reading a fanfic from a series you don't know about/care for, but there's always crossovers. :P
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline rosenewock21

• The Snuffleupagus of the Satanic Sesame Street
  • God
  • Holder of the sleepy time rag
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 10:52:22 am »
Hey, I have a relevant question.  Has reading a fanfic ever caused you to be so intruigued with a series you've never seen that you go and check it out?  I mean, you may wonder what you'd be doing reading a fanfic from a series you don't know about/care for, but there's always crossovers. :P

Criminal Minds. Oh so very much. A friend wanted me to watch it, I refused. She kept sending me fan-fics because she knows I'll read anything once as long as it's well written. Enough of that and I caved and bought the first five season at a used place downtown so I'd understand what the hell was going on.
Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 07:23:02 pm »
Hybrid Theory, which is a massive crossover fanfic and also one of my favourite fics ever. I didn't gain any new fandoms from it, but I did check out a few things.
Σא

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 07:23:41 pm »
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality got me re-interested in Harry Potter.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline jumpingjackflash

• Agent Swears-A-Lot Peashooter
  • Pope
  • Burn, baby, burn!
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 01:07:22 am »
The infamous My Immortal: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4719325/1/My_Immortal_REPOST

I myself didn't know of this fic until today, while searching for some old HP fics that I like. To be honest, I'm torn between laughing really hard and muttering all kinds of crass words at my laptop. This fic is...indescribable. Seriously. Just take a look for yourself.

WARNING: Fic is NSFW and may cause you to lose all understanding of the English language. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Ok seriously, is nobody even going to try and avenge my man-burrito?

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 01:32:51 am »

Can't say I have but on a similar vein I didn't know half of the pairings people had made for characters in Fallout until I wandered thru the kink meme community. And some of them I actually liked and started to track down every fic with the pairing.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 05:34:31 pm »
While I did know about it, I never played any Mass Effect (I would like to, but I don't have the time to invest in it), so I instead gained respectable knowledge about it through fanfics.

I have about a dozen plot bunnies in my head, but the story I am actually working advances slowly enough (see this thread for the reason why), so I don't divert more time writing them down. I once actually put up one of them up for adoption on Spacebattles. ([1])
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 09:15:55 pm »
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality got me re-interested in Harry Potter.
HPMOR got me interested in half a dozen new things... none of them fiction, though.
Σא

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 11:14:04 pm »
I picked up Psychonauts and played the HELL out of it because of fic.  Same with Bastion, come to think of it.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2012, 03:45:59 pm »
I picked up Psychonauts and played the HELL out of it because of fic.  Same with Bastion, come to think of it.

Hmm. I kind of want to read some Psychonauts fanfiction now.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 04:34:33 am »
Here is a little exercise in absurdity I wrote a while back, if anyone's interested in reading it. You might hate me by the time you get to the end though.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 06:05:11 am »
Sorry for the thread necromancy but I'd thought I'd show off some of my Dragon Age fanfiction:
http://www.fanfiction.net/~morninglight

Completed stories:
'The Dutiful Daughter': Slightly AU-ish playthrough fic of a female Cousland called Mara, who does the expected things Alistair fangirls write in their stories... With a twist: she's a high-functioning autistic.

'For the Good of the Circle': part of the Maraverse but from the viewpoint of an f!Amell/Cullen romance where the Amell never became a Warden...

'The Guard and the Girl': AU of the Maraverse with the same autistic protagonist and Alistair romance, but they never become Wardens and Alistair left the Chantry of his own volition...

Ongoing stories:
'The Coming Storm': Maraverse, on the backburner due to other projects.

'The Black Griffin': part of the 'Guard and Girl'/'Game of Princes' universe, detailing the life of an OC called Rennio d'Antiva: think Machiavelli and Ezio Auditore having their genes mixed to produce a gay badass assassin and political mastermind who just also happens to be a Grey Warden. Infrequently updated.

'The Game of Princes': Game of Thrones-inspired sequel to 'The Guard and the Girl' with a metric crapton of mythological and religious influences in addition to truly vicious politics. Somewhat on the backburner but updated every few weeks.

'Alphabet of the Warden-Queen': infrequently updated alphabet challenge dedicated to Warden-Queen Mara Cousland from 'The Dutiful Daughter'; will contain outtakes to bridging flash-fics between the events of Dragon Age: Awakening and an AU version of Dragon Age 2 which happens in Ferelden.

'A Diamond in Dust Town': f!Brosca (common dwarf origin) and Duncan romance. Totally AU; so AU I took a chainsaw to canon, according to my friends. Contains reasonably described human-dwarf sex and frequent coarse language.

I hope you like my stuff!
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 11:37:31 pm »
Ah hell, here's my Mass Effect fanfic.

And an alternate link.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 12:26:24 am »
I has Dance Dance Revolution fanfic. I wrote it when I was 16 purely as a joke, so naturally it's short but very poorly written. Read at your own risk.

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 07:21:36 am »
I've been writing a piece of Inuyasha/original fiction for... years.  I say Inuyasha/original because it centers around a character who is only mentioned in the series, but never makes an appearance, so it's more of a prequel with a 90% original cast.

Basically, the idea was that, practically everything that happens in the Inuyasha timeline proper is the result of either some artifact left behind by or a previous acquaintance of his father.  Yet his father is dead the whole time and plays no active role in the story, but seems to have nevertheless been crazy-prepared and drove most of the main plot from beyond the grave.  So naturally I had the curiosity to explore WTF was up with this guy.

Canon gives me scant few details to work with.  No mention of personality.  No mention of lifestyle.  Hell, he doesn't even have a name.  So I had to cobble together all the various bits we do know about him and basically construct a character from scratch out of them.  I wanted to stick to canon as much as possible, though, so instead of just making up a name for him, I wrote the entire thing in first-person to get around having to call him anything in the narration, and simply have other characters only address him as a title.

Unfortunately, the thing has basically turned into "The Life Story and Psychological Breakdown of Inuyasha's Dad" (aka "Memoirs of a Daiyoukai"), and at currently 94 chapters, he's still only 14 years old.  And he lived for hundreds of years.   This... is gonna take a while.  Each chapter also comes with an illustration, and at least my art has slowly improved over the years, too (though some still looks a bit derpy).