Author Topic: I Don't Think They Should Allow Children To Undergo Sexual Reassignment  (Read 4758 times)

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
Even if a medical professional clears it we must understand that psychiatry is a science in infancy in the first place. There is so much we still do not know and much of what we "know" hasn't been known for very long. At no point in history has any field been 100% correct about everything it thinks it "knows" and we shouldn't expect the present to be any different. So it's very likely that a very good psychiatrist could interview a child to see if they are a transsexual, think based on current research that they are and still turn out to be wrong.

I support the right for adults to have sex change operations, and for transgendered individuals to have equal rights. However, even starting on hormone therapy is a serious, life-altering choice. What if the child makes a mistake? It's easy to imagine a girly boy or a tomboyish girl thinking that because they are so much like the opposite sex in their personality that it must be because they were "born in the wrong body" rather than that it's just their personality. They may be getting picked on just for being different and then reason that if only they had the body of the opposite sex people wouldn't pick on them anymore. Not the same thing. In this case once the kid is older and their peers are more mature they would likely realize they are in the right body, just a little different.

I'm sure that some kids really are transsexuals and really do realize it at that young of an age but with all the confusion of growing up there's too much risk of it being a mistake. Is it really too much to ask that the kid wait for physical and chemical treatments until adulthood? I got no problem with kids choosing to "live as" the opposite sex, in fact childhood and adolescence is the perfect time to try that out so they can have a good idea of whether it's really what they want when they are older.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
DISCLAIMER: The trans people of the boards know more about this than I do, so if I make some mistake then feel free to point it out.

Trans people, especially trans teenagers, have some of the highest rates of suicide and self-harm in the country due to the fact that their body is, from their perspective, literally deforming itself into something it certainly is not meant to be. Some trans children or teens go on hormone blockers to prevent themselves from gaining secondary sexual features during puberty, which (IIRC) are perfectly reversible, although they can also go through a planned sex change later.

There is also a huge difference between not conforming to gender roles and being trans. I was a tomboyish girl, but I am certainly not trans. I had "boyish" interests, but still identify as a female. Really, a trained psychiatrist would know the difference.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
I see your point, and it does have some validity. To be honest, I don't think there is a right answer.

That said, there are some reasons for allowing teens to undergo hormone treatment, especially doing so before the major onset of puberty. Everyone knows puberty makes changes to the body. Allowing (say) an FtM to start hormones before he grows D-cup breasts, or allowing an MtF to start hormones before her voice drops to baritone would be very helpful. (Reduces the amount of changes that have to be reversed surgically.) Also, the bone ends fuse in the early 20s. If hormones are started after the bones fuse, the skeletal system will not change. FtMs will have women's hips, and MtFs will have male facial structure. If hormones are given while bones can still change, again, it is less that has to be reversed, if they can be reversed. (MtFs can have painful facial reconstruction. FtMs cannot reduce their hips.) FtM's who are short (or even average) for women will be VERY short for a man.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
It seems to me that the only way to resolve such an issue is greater research into the physical and neurological development of the brain.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
It seems to me that the only way to resolve such an issue is greater research into the physical and neurological development of the brain.

There's already a lot of scientific evidence that trans women have brains that are like cisgendered women, and that trans men have brains like cisgendered men. So a trans child who insists he is a man is, for all intents and purposes, psychologically and neurologically male in a body that happens to bear female features. (There has not been as much research on other gender identities, to the best of my knowledge.)
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
So if someone is an adult, and they are in the wrong gender, they should wait until the irreversible effects of puberty takes place before doing it.

But if they choose go for a different gender, and it turns out that is wrong, it is evil an horrible even though they can change back.

Right, that makes perfect sense.

And most, all your post could justify is not putting replacement hormones while delaying puberty.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 05:14:42 pm by Lexikon »
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
Also, the bone ends fuse in the early 20s. If hormones are started after the bones fuse, the skeletal system will not change. FtMs will have women's hips, and MtFs will have male facial structure. If hormones are given while bones can still change, again, it is less that has to be reversed, if they can be reversed. (MtFs can have painful facial reconstruction. FtMs cannot reduce their hips.) FtM's who are short (or even average) for women will be VERY short for a man.

So if one did not engage in full transition efforts (that is, anything more than simply blocking puberty) for young people, there would be a very narrow window in which an ideal transition could be made.
-A Pen Name

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
I'm gonna say the same thing I said the last time when this topic was brought up:

I am not quite sure if a child is ready to make such a choice, but I have no education or any qualifications on this topic so I trust that doctors and psychiatrists know more about this so I would trust the judgement of medical professionals. Besides since the whole process is tricky and best done as early as possible... It would seem logical to start the reassignment as soon as it can be proven that the person is old enough and understands what is going to be done. (Wether this is at the age of 8 or 18 or inbetween should be decided by medical professionals and my "gut feelings" don't really qualify.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
As a transsexual myself, I am inclined to agree in part.
I personally believe that young pre-teen children should not be allowed to transition at that age. However I do believe that hormone therapy should be provided for teenagers at the least.

For a transsexual ones teenage years are quite traumatic, however despite that, large portions of denial and confusion can really muddy the waters of understanding. I believe that a full psychiatric and psychological testing be done especially for teenagers. The good news is that the actual transition process really helps one to deal with sorting out ones feelings, and would help a confused teenager to figure themselves out.

The process of transition requires at least 6 months to 1 year without any treatment of living as the identified gender in everyday life. This is a really hard process to go through because this is also where most transsexuals will receive the majority of the discrimination against them especially from friends and relatives. Basically this process of the transition is designed to encourage a transsexual not to transition or at the very least work things out for themselves before anything medically is done.

The next step is the start of hormone therapy. After about 3 months on hormones I guarantee the transsexual will know for sure if this is the right thing or not. I remember when I started hormones, after a month I felt like I had never felt before, I felt more complete and happier and right than any time prior. At this early stage things can still be reversed as no significant permanent effects will have taken place yet. It should be noted that cross hormone therapy has a number of permanent side effects beyond secondary sexual characteristics. Hormone therapy is a great indicator as to whether someone is really a transsexual, but should not be used lightly.

The final stage is that of the actual surgeries these require at least 1 to 2 years of living on hormone therapy before being allowed to do so. If someone is not truly a transsexual they would not have made it to this point easily. Going for sexual re-assigment surgery is no simple thing, and it requires at least 2 years of continuous psychiatric and psychological evaluation. As well as all of the already mentioned processes. The actual cost of the surgery is another factor that will probably drag that process out much longer than the bare minimum as well. By the time one gets to the surgery both the doctors involved as well as the transsexual themselves will have a good idea of what is truly best.

That said, I stand by my belief in denying pre-teen transsexuals from undergoing transition. I personally believe they should only begin once they become teenagers. I feel that pre-teen children are too easily influenced by their parents and people around them to be able to make honest assessments of themselves. On the positive side (unless you are a transsexual, because then it feel like hell) the stepped processes help to ensure that the correct medical decision is made. As much as I hated going through it and wanted to speed it up, I am now grateful for it and I can see the wisdom behind it.

QueenofHearts

I would agree that in most instances having the child wait until 18 to have reassignment surgery wouldn't be too bad an idea. However, I think children should be free to begin androgen blockers as young as possible and if cleared by a psychiatrist and endocrinologist, should be allowed to start cross hormones (I think 16 is a fine age for the latter, maybe a bit on the old side, but yeah).

Offline Quasirodent

• Pope
  • You knew it in your heart all along.
At the risk of repeating myself.

Puberty can be delayed until the age of majority, without extreme physical consequences.  Granted the person is unlikely to ever develop nearly as much as they would have if they had undergone normal puberty, but they may consider it an acceptable price.
Jesus had two dads and he turned out okay.

Offline Diamandahagan

• Apprentice
No one is suggesting unalterable surgery for minors. just drugs that delay puberty so they don't have to go through hell before they can get that surgery as an adult.

we all agree its a horrible idea that a cis child could be forced to become an adult of a sex they arent. but its no worse than when it happens to a trans child.

Offline TenfoldMaquette

• Pope
I would personally believe a trans child's evaluation of themselves over the evaluations of their peers or family. If a child can know - not "think", not "be influenced into believing they are", but KNOW - that they are gay from a very young age, why is it somehow improbable that they would KNOW that they are trans? They might not have the exact word for what it is that they are at a young age, but it's not as if they don't understand the difference between themselves and "normal" kids.

Its their body, their life. If you want to get a psychiatrist to help them give their feelings the proper context and verbiage, then fine. If you're only walking them in front of a doctor because you're secretly hoping that your kid doesn't really know what they're talking about when they insist they're different, eff that.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
I would agree that in most instances having the child wait until 18 to have reassignment surgery wouldn't be too bad an idea. However, I think children should be free to begin androgen blockers as young as possible and if cleared by a psychiatrist and endocrinologist, should be allowed to start cross hormones (I think 16 is a fine age for the latter, maybe a bit on the old side, but yeah).

This is pretty much how I feel.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Distind

If a child can know - not "think", not "be influenced into believing they are", but KNOW - that they are gay from a very young age, why is it somehow improbable that they would KNOW that they are trans? They might not have the exact word for what it is that they are at a young age, but it's not as if they don't understand the difference between themselves and "normal" kids.

That's a hell of an if. I know people going on their thirties now who shouldn't be trusted with their own decisions. It is very, very difficult to set a standard as to when a major medical alteration such as this should be undertaken. As has been said, there may well not be a right answer.

Though to be completely honest, it's not their life until they're the age of majority.