Author Topic: What are some religious phrases you like?  (Read 7130 times)

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Re: What are some religious phrases you like?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 06:16:52 pm »
"Let there be no compulsion in religion"
- The Qur'an
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 07:25:10 pm »
My favorite religious word is "Goodbye."
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline FirsthandTuna

• Pope
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 08:38:55 pm »

How about "Congratulations, you've been excommunicated!"
"Fraudulent ONEness of religious academia has retarded your opposite rationale brain to a half brain slave." - The Wisest Man Who Ever Lived

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 09:22:41 pm »

How about "Congratulations, you've been excommunicated!"

I have something in a similar vein, though I'm not sure if it belongs in this thread exactly. The king of England( I don't remember which one) did something the Pope didn't like so the Pope told him he was excommunicated. The King's response to the Pope was something to the effect of, " No, you're excommunicated!"
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:18:56 pm by MadCatTLX »
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Art Vandelay

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 03:12:50 pm »
I have something in a similar vein, though I'm not sure if it belongs in this thread exactly. The king of England( I don't remember which one) did something the Pope didn't like so the Pope told him he was excommunicated. The King's response to the Pope was something to the effect of, " No, your excommunicated!"
Wow, the Pope's very own excommunicated? How generous of him.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 03:20:43 pm »
I have something in a similar vein, though I'm not sure if it belongs in this thread exactly. The king of England( I don't remember which one) did something the Pope didn't like so the Pope told him he was excommunicated. The King's response to the Pope was something to the effect of, " No, your excommunicated!"
Wow, the Pope's very own excommunicated? How generous of him.

The post has been edited.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline MrsYoungie

• Neonate
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 05:06:06 pm »
"A little less love and a little more common decency"  - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Well, I wish it were a religious phrase at any rate.

Offline FirsthandTuna

• Pope
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 06:54:44 am »

Less love? Why less?
"Fraudulent ONEness of religious academia has retarded your opposite rationale brain to a half brain slave." - The Wisest Man Who Ever Lived

Offline Delirium

• Bishop
  • "i choose my own way to burn." - sophie scholl
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 07:24:49 pm »
"Religion is very easy and whoever overburdens himself in his religion will not be able to continue in that way. So you should not be extremists, but try to be near to perfection and receive the good tidings that you will be rewarded." - Muhammad
"You can educate a fool, but you cannot make him think." - The Talmud

Offline MrsYoungie

• Neonate
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 08:59:59 pm »

Less love? Why less?

Sorry - just noticed this.  Not that he wanted less love, but that a lot of the religious types who claim to "L-O-V-E" everyone (even strangers) do not treat everyone well.  If they would instead just promise to treat people nicely (common decency) they can keep their universal love.
I don't love everyone.  I love a very select group of people.  But I try to show common decency to all.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 01:57:46 pm »
Lord, make me a channel of thy peace,
that where there is hatred, I may bring love;
that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness;
that where there is discord, I may bring harmony;
that where there is error, I may bring truth;
that where there is doubt, I may bring faith;
that where there is despair, I may bring hope;
that where there are shadows, I may bring light;
that where there is sadness, I may bring joy.
Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted;
to understand, than to be understood;
to love, than to be loved.
For it is by self-forgetting that one finds.
It is by forgiving that one is forgiven.
It is by dying that one awakens to Eternal Life.

-St. Francis of Assissi
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2012, 07:48:47 pm »
St. Francis was awesome.  There's a reason why, as a Pagan, I still bought a statue of him when I was in Assisi.

"If that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without."
--From the Wiccan Charge of the Goddess

"As a dog returns to its vomit, so also a fool returns to his folly."  Proverbs 26:11
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline czechmate

• Apprentice
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 05:15:35 am »
St. Francis was awesome.  There's a reason why, as a Pagan, I still bought a statue of him when I was in Assisi.

"If that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without."
--From the Wiccan Charge of the Goddess

"As a dog returns to its vomit, so also a fool returns to his folly."  Proverbs 26:11
Agreed on all counts. As an atheist, Pagans, Wiccans and Bhuddists are my favourite people in that their beliefs are honest and open.
Christianity is a belief that was forced upon us on a "believe or die horribly" basis.
Virtually ALL of the female saints were originally Pagan deities (Virgin Mary being one of them) adopted by the Church to persuade the Celts to join the flock.
The Holy Lamb of God goes well with Mint Sauce.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 07:41:27 pm »
These aren't so much religious phrases but quotes from a solitary druid.

I thought they provided some good insight into his thought processes, as well as something that, as a budding druid myself, would be worth meditating on.

Any emphasis is mine.

Quote from: Teo Bishop
One can make the sun into a symbol, or the water into a symbol, or just about any tree, bird, and plant into a representation of some human experience, but concordances which seek to place all of nature within a human framework (this tree represents this emotion, or that god is good for this human activity) are little different than a Catholic concordance of saints. Plus, they can trick the city-dwelling Pagan into thinking that the natural world is only metaphor for the inner human world.

It’s more than that.

The tree doesn’t always need to represent something. It can simply be alive, and beautiful.

All things have their place, and there is certainly a place for the warm and fuzzy in Paganism. But I think it’s also necessary to remember that there are parts of nature, and aspects of the Kindred we worship, that can be violently cold, fiercely wild, and terribly awe inspiring.

I hear many people frame the human condition as being either a decision to live in Fear or to live in Love, capitals emphasizing the notion that these states of being are not simply human emotions, but rather that they are cosmic in some way. I like to think that things are more complicated and nuanced than that.

Even death, in its inevitability, is more complicated and nuanced than that.

Sometimes I think there’s a good reason for blind faith, religious ignorance, unwavering piety. Sometimes those seem like a much easier choices than being inquisitive, being contemplative, being patient with your own uncertainty.

The dialogue around the last post extended deep into the theoretical as well as the practical, even spawning an interesting offshoot post on ecological polytheism, and a resurgence of questions about an American goddess named Columbia.

The explosion of ideas did a number on me. I didn’t realize that it had until I tried to approach my shrine this morning and perform my daily ritual. I couldn’t turn my brain off, and I kept wondering — But who am I making these offerings to, exactly? What is the point of this thing that I’m doing?

This quick-shift back to a state of doubt and questioning might come off to some as a sign of an adolescent faith. But if that’s true, what’s the alternative? A religious practice or paradigm that is no longer close-examined? A fixed piety? If that’s the case, then perhaps the people who are unwilling to engage in a discussion about the nature of the gods (or God, if that be their god), the origin of divinity, or any other such complicated subject simply have it easier. Their religious tradition can grow without the tampering of every little question, every “wait but....”

Clearly, though, I cannot be comfortable with such a religious tradition.
I question. I always have. If there’s anything about me that’s fixed, perhaps it’s that.

If you want to read more:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/bishopinthegrove/
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 09:52:06 pm »
Memento Mori in regards to death.
What is, is not; what is not, is.