Author Topic: Ann Romney: Marriage rights, birth control aren’t economic issues for women  (Read 6870 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Nelson tried again to engage Romney on another issue that has obvious economic impacts on women: the access to insurance coverage for medical birth control. Ann Romney again refused to answer, denying that birth control access or coverage are economic issues.

Nelson tried to argue that, in fact, the election might well be about this issue, explaining, “Well, a Pew Research poll shows those issues are very important to women, ranking them either ‘important’ or ‘very important.’” Romney remained unswayed, declaring that her time on the campaign trail had taught her that women don’t really care about that.

But I personally believe, and this is what I’m hearing from women all across the country that they are going to look for the guy that’s going to pull them out of the weeds and get them job security and a brighter future for their children. That’s the message. Listen, I’ve been across this country, I’ve been for a year and a half on the campaign trail, I’ve spoke with thousands of women and they are telling me, they are telling me a couple of things. One, they say they’re praying for me, which is really wonderful. They they are saying, “Please help, please help, we are so worried about our jobs.”
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/09/07/ann-romney-marriage-rights-birth-control-arent-economic-issues-for-women/

I wonder if it ever rains in her fantasy world she lives in.  Either that or maybe she is on an amazing drug trip.  But maybe she really does want women to go back in time to the 1950s?
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline tempus

• Bishop
Nelson tried again to engage Romney on another issue that has obvious economic impacts on women: the access to insurance coverage for medical birth control. Ann Romney again refused to answer, denying that birth control access or coverage are economic issues.

Nelson tried to argue that, in fact, the election might well be about this issue, explaining, “Well, a Pew Research poll shows those issues are very important to women, ranking them either ‘important’ or ‘very important.’” Romney remained unswayed, declaring that her time on the campaign trail had taught her that women don’t really care about that.

But I personally believe, and this is what I’m hearing from women all across the country that they are going to look for the guy that’s going to pull them out of the weeds and get them job security and a brighter future for their children. That’s the message. Listen, I’ve been across this country, I’ve been for a year and a half on the campaign trail, I’ve spoke with thousands of women and they are telling me, they are telling me a couple of things. One, they say they’re praying for me, which is really wonderful. They they are saying, “Please help, please help, we are so worried about our jobs.”
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/09/07/ann-romney-marriage-rights-birth-control-arent-economic-issues-for-women/

I wonder if it ever rains in her fantasy world she lives in.  Either that or maybe she is on an amazing drug trip.  But maybe she really does want women to go back in time to the 1950s?

Of course it doesn't. 

Like her husband, Anne Romney has never had to live in the same way that the vast, overwhelming majority of Americans has had to live.  She's lived in the same tight, insular bubble of conservative religion, money and power that Mitt lives in for most of her life, and so have most of her friends and acquaintances.  Her contact with the poor is mostly limited to servants and people kept at a discrete distance, like animals during a safari.  Her idea of roughing it is having to shop at a store that doesn't take Visa, and she's never had to struggle to survive.  As a result, she suffers from the same tonedeafness as her husband.
Congratulations.  You found Ronald Reagan. He’s living in each and every one of you.  Just waiting to gnaw his way out of your chest and skitter off into the ventilation ducts.

--Neckfucker

That shape...that figure...those curves...god damn the weighted companion cube has never looked so good!

--Anonymous

Los Angeles is a city of brick, steel, concrete, and asphalt. There's no room for cows.

--CommanderCoffee

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Ann Romney needs to get out more often, I suggest she take a walk through a neighborhood that isn't made up of mansions.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
I suggest south-central Los Angeles.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Not an economic issue? Not an economic issue? Seriously? Having additional children costs a lot of money (think food, clothes, education, doctor visits, etc.). Marriage comes with a multitude of federal and state benefits including filing joint income tax returns, insurance benefits, QTIP trusts, etc. Are you really that dense, ma'am?

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Ann and Willard know nothing of struggling or financial hardship.

We were happy, studying hard. Neither one of us had a job, because Mitt had enough of an investment from stock that we could sell off a little at a time.

The stock came from Mitt’s father. When he took over American Motors, the stock was worth nothing. But he invested Mitt’s birthday money year to year — it wasn’t much, a few thousand, but he put it into American Motors because he believed in himself. Five years later, stock that had been $6 a share was $96 and Mitt cashed it so we could live and pay for education.

A bloo bloo bloo Mitt sold his father's stock and did not work at all.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
We were happy, studying hard. Neither one of us had a job, because Mitt had enough of an investment from stock that we could sell off a little at a time.

The stock came from Mitt’s father. When he took over American Motors, the stock was worth nothing. But he invested Mitt’s birthday money year to year — it wasn’t much, a few thousand, but he put it into American Motors because he believed in himself. Five years later, stock that had been $6 a share was $96 and Mitt cashed it so we could live and pay for education.

Bolded for emphasis.

A few thousand. Not much...

I'd love to just have an extra hundred.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-

Bolded for emphasis.

Also the stock increased in value as time passed, get your money for nothing, get your checks for free. This was in the 1990s too.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
Ann Romney literally said during her speech at the RNC; "But as his partner on this amazing journey, I can tell you Mitt Romney was not handed success. He built it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBA7rPKhGtQ

Mitt Romney was born the multi-millionaire son of a prominent politician/businessman. "He wasn't handed success" my fucking ass.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
But...poor Mitt Romney!  He didn't have it handed to him, he had all that money thrust upon him!  Maybe he wanted to live the life of a pauper, but now, he'll never have that chance, because he was forced to enjoy all that obscene wealth.

Also, as Garrett said: "Some people in this city are too rich for their own good.  Good thing they have me to give them a hand."
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
Re: Ann Romney: Marriage rights, birth control aren’t economic issues for women
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 03:54:55 am »
This woman is hilarious in just how ignorant she is. She's given the Obama campaign some great bulletin board material, she just doesn't know it.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 04:37:51 am »

Bolded for emphasis.

Also the stock increased in value as time passed, get your money for nothing, get your checks for free. This was in the 1990s too.

Aren't these the same motherfuckers who call people who don't have jobs lazy?
And just a few thousand? Fuck I felt guilty on spending 5 on a soda and french fries.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 05:00:01 am »

Bolded for emphasis.

Seriously. This woman is completely clueless about what it means to be low-income. It would be nice if we all had thousands of dollars in birthday money for our rich daddies to invest for us, but that's not how the real world works.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Distind

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 07:09:51 am »
Ann Romney literally said during her speech at the RNC; "But as his partner on this amazing journey, I can tell you Mitt Romney was not handed success. He built it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBA7rPKhGtQ

Mitt Romney was born the multi-millionaire son of a prominent politician/businessman. "He wasn't handed success" my fucking ass.
He certainly built something, otherwise he'd be another down and out formerly rich kid. He just built it out of piles and piles of money that was given to him. Plenty of people do manage to screw that up after all.

Offline MrsYoungie

• Neonate
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 08:54:18 am »
Everyone who plans on running for office should be required to live as an "ordinary" citizen for a month.  Just a month.  They won't starve.  Just try to grocery shop in a normal store.  Worry about a budget when your car breaks down.  (note:  car is singular, not plural) and just generally see how far a normal job wage gets a person.
Then they can go back to their lives of luxury.  I don't want to send them to the guillotine.  Just to Costco.
In fact, the whole family should do this.  It could be a reality show - like Pioneer Life or something. 
Otherwise none of them will ever see the irony of referring to "a few thousand" as "not much".

I have a very basic question as well:  why does a person as rich as Romney even want to be President?  He doesn't seem to be very politically aware, certainly doesn't care about 99% of Americans.  He has enough money that if an average person's annual salary fell out of his pocket onto the street - he wouldn't be bothered to bend over and pick it up.
What is his motive??  This worries me more than anything.