Author Topic: Teacher uses Twitter in Grade 1/2 classroom  (Read 2251 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Teacher uses Twitter in Grade 1/2 classroom
« on: June 19, 2013, 02:18:29 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/story/2013/06/19/wdr-teacher-tweeting-classroom-award.html

A teacher in Windsor, Ont., is teaching her first and second grade students to tweet, blog and Skype as part of the elementary curriculum.

"It’s a different language in my class," said Kristen Wideen, who teachers a split class at Eastwood public school.

Her students tweet using the handle @MrsWideensClass. Kids write the tweets, Wideen approves them.

I'm a touch worried by this. I find it pretty painful to read anything longer than a Twitter post that isn't properly formatted (indented paragraphs on a printed page, or blank lines between paragraphs on a screen) with good spelling and grammar, and I'm afraid this will encourage precisely the opposite.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Teacher uses Twitter in Grade 1/2 classroom
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 02:38:16 am »
It encourages the children to write and as long as the teacher makes them write properly (rather than using silly abbreviations and text message speak) I think this is a good idea. The blogs particularly are a good idea since you can write longer text there rather than the limited letter count in text messages and such.

In fact if these kids learn to use proper spelling in tweets they are well ahead of the average twitter user.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 02:42:35 am »
I agree, since it looks like the teacher is monitoring the messages being posted, hopefully she will use them to teach the kids proper grammar and spelling early on and create good internet habits.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 10:49:18 am »
If there's one thing that's sorely needed right the fuck now, it's teaching kids how not to be a fuckwad on the internet. The earlier, the better. Hell, I remember even in 2004 we were effectively taught this exact concept as part of I believe it was design and technology class. Naturally, it focused almost exclusively on email, since back then social media was non-existent and everyone over the age of 25 thought forums and chatrooms were the exclusive domain of paedophiles and FBI agents, but the spirit of it was largely the same.

I for one applaud this teacher.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 11:03:56 am »
 ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRtw6frKPxU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRtw6frKPxU</a>

Two of her students made this.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 11:16:07 am »
Aww. That videos so cute.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 09:27:07 pm »
How clever! I linked this to my retired teacher dad, and he approves.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 03:41:43 am »
I commend this teacher.
As much as the people on the internet are assholes, things like twitter and blogs and other social media are integral parts of our society now. As such it would really benefit these children to lean about them, and how to use them effectively and hopefully responsibly.
They will learn eventually, this just helps them to learn what is best first.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 07:00:48 pm »
Aww. That videos so cute.

Seconded that. Reminds me of my oldest niece when she was first learning about the water cycle, her teacher had taught a song that was in the tune to "The Wheels on the Bus Go 'Round and 'Round." She sang this water cycle song for days.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman