Author Topic: “a vote against the abortion restriction bill is vote for Sharia law.”  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/07/03/2251671/north-carolina-sharia-bill-abortion-restrictions/?mobile=nc

So, basically North Carolina GOP wrote a law that would make Sharia law illegal in their state and... Well, we can discuss why such law is unnecessary or stupid some other time because what is really low is that they also stuck some additional shady stuff onto the law:
The new amendments would prevent insurance plans on Obamacare’s health marketplaces from covering abortion services, ban “sex-selective” abortions, impose unnecessary restrictions on doctors administering the abortion pill to women, and require the state’s abortion clinics to adhere to complicated new regulations that would likely force most of them to close.

Basically the same things that Texas tried to get passed few days ago.

And if anyone tries to oppose this law? Well that just means that you are siding with the muslims and want to force Sharia law on the good christian americans...

And of course these amendments came as a suprise and pro-choice and womens health lobbyists hadn't even heard about these before. It was probably kept secret because they knew there would be resistance. Besides if you are going to pass a stupid law why not save some trouble and make two stupid laws at the same time.

And for the record: It's not that I am reading all the news about USA there are, this just came up because I follow Wil Wheaton's Tumblr.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Quick suggestion about the sex selective abortions: lie. I think this is a stupid bill, as most of us do, but if your location bans sex selective abortions, lie. It is perhaps the dumbest thing to ban, because it only actually bans idiots from having sex selective abortions.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
Don't they understand that their views are warped so much that in order to get what they want they have to sink as low into doing something this dirty and sneaky?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Don't they understand that their views are warped so much that in order to get what they want they have to sink as low into doing something this dirty and sneaky?
They don't care. To them, victory is more important than doing it legitimately. Admittedly, if we could pass nationwide gay marriage or other equality-based legislation using this tactic, I'd support it, because I don't actually consider legitimacy too important myself. I just admit that it's immoral and underhanded.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

wrightway

How do they even think they can link these things?

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
The funny thing is that abortion is illegal in countries where there is Sharia law. But of course, these people are just using buzzwords, which makes their arguments extremely stupid.

Excuse me, I also want to remind you that just reading this thread's title and understanding the very fact there are people who unironically believe this has just killed some of my brain cells.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast

I thought amendments didn't have to have any link to the main bill.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

wrightway

I thought amendments didn't have to have any link to the main bill.

I was talking more in a cognitive sense. Its assbackwards. As pointed out, a country with Sharia law is going to make a woman die in the most painful way possible before they'd allow an abortion.