Author Topic: Do Fundementalist Christians Actually Read The Bible  (Read 12531 times)

Offline D Laurier

• Bishop
  • Never trust a white man with power.
Re: Do Fundementalist Christians Actually Read The Bible
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 06:38:11 am »
Do fundementalist christians actually read what they claim to believe?
Nope.
Cable (or satelite) TV is like paying someone to projectile poop all over your brain.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 11:17:04 am »
Hmmm, perhaps I should have worded this differently.

And, Sylvana, that sort of describes myself. I'm just on the other end of the spectrum. I cherry pick the "don't be a dick" verses and ignore things like Paul. I also prefer to view Genesis, Revelations, and their ilk as parables and political allegory.

I think the same way.

Offline GLaDOS

• Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System
  • Bishop
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 03:29:21 pm »
Oh, you mean this book:

Nah, they just skim it
Space? SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!
How are you holding up? Because I'm a POTATO.
Silence will fall.
For fuck's sake, please keep my fucks given levels balanced.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 04:17:00 pm »
The Bible contains words of more than one syllable.  Any other questions?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 04:49:05 pm »
I think they believe what they believe. And I think that if you read the bible a certain way, you can find justification for damn near anything. So with a bit of cherry picking, a bit of, shall we say unusual interpretation, and some good old mob mentality, truly stupid things can happen. Like getting God Hates Fags from Let Ye Without Sin Cast The First Stone. It's eerily similar to the process where A Well Regulated Militia, Being Necessary to the Security of a Free State, the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms, Shall Not be Infringed to some mean we have the Constitutional freedom to get good and drunk then go into the woods and absolutely vaporize some deer with an AK-47.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Oriet

• Homo sapiens scientia
  • Bishop
  • Disabled Vet MtF Polyamorous Atheist Auspie
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 03:40:34 pm »
Depends on what you mean by "read". In short I would say "no," though they do read parts of it. I find they believe what they want to believe, and back it all up through confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance. The best way to tear apart their arguments is to get them to actually compare an analyse what they say, which has to be done in such a fashion that they do it themselves instead of having it directly pointed at them (I've done this through asking questions, putting them in the role of "teacher", as I've found it to be quite effective).

I think a good way to look at it is compare the bible to a large puzzle, with the different pieces (generally verses,  but sometimes blocks of verses) scattered in a large pile. Instead of going through the bible and carefully putting it together as it should go, they pick up the pieces that appeal to them, mash them together, and completely ignore not only the other pieces but also that it fits together so poorly that Picasso's portraits look like high definition photographs.

It also doesn't help matters that this is how churches have done it for millennia, and that not only do they always encourage people to do the same, they insist it's with the same pieces. Kinda explains why there're several thousand christian denominations (not counting the number of non-denominational people that also can't agree).

The best way to get a christian to leave their faith is to get them to actually read and analyse the bible. It might be where most of their stuff comes from, but it also tears it apart so hard that there has yet to be a better deconversion tool devised.
The Rules, get to know them.

Offline one-shot

• Bishop
  • Zen is...
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 08:48:28 pm »
From my experiences, fundies basically have a handful of verses and chapters that they read, and ignore the rest.  I don't know one person other than myself who has actually read the whole thing.  They find the verses they like, or that they think supports their cause, and they stick with those, memorize them, and repeat them to themselves over and over. 
All things are no-thing.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 10:08:03 pm »
To me, it's a mix of one and two. A lot of them don't read their own Bibles, leaving them to collect dust, and the ones who do cherry-pick it to hell and back. It's like they want to go back to the days when only the priesthood could read.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 10:51:12 pm »
Apparently the bit about women being silent in church was another writer attributed to Paul. Paul himself was ambivalent towards women. The things you learn in Gender and Women's Studies...

As for fundies: they read it. They memorize it. But they doublethink so well they don't put all the pieces together.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 11:04:10 pm »
Catholics don't read it. They're told what's in the book. At least the ones I've run into.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 11:28:19 pm »
Catholics don't read it. They're told what's in the book. At least the ones I've run into.

Quite true. Catholics lose Bible quote wars with Protestants every time.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 03:08:07 pm »
Of course, Catholics also attribute far less importance to the Bible than Protestants. Sola Scriptura is not Catholic doctrine.
Σא

Offline one-shot

• Bishop
  • Zen is...
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 03:35:54 pm »
Of course, Catholics also attribute far less importance to the Bible than Protestants. Sola Scriptura is not Catholic doctrine.

What's funny is that sola scriptura means different things to different Protestant groups.  Lutherans and Anglicans attribute some weight to church tradition, which is what Catholics place heavy emphasis on, while neo-protestants like Baptist and Pentecostals believe that it is the only source of their faith, no matter how skewed it is.
All things are no-thing.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 03:47:26 pm »
Actually the Catholic church does have Sola Scriptura as their doctrine along with Sacred Tradition and the episcopacy. They however believe the Church has the complete right to interpret the Bible how they wish.

But, as Luther said, "a simple layman armed with Scripture is greater than the mightiest pope without it.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 07:21:39 am »
The Bible contains words of more than one syllable.  Any other questions?

And if you cut off their index finger, they'd really have a problem!
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!