Author Topic: Do Fundementalist Christians Actually Read The Bible  (Read 12717 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Do Fundementalist Christians Actually Read The Bible
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 11:16:04 am »
Actually the Catholic church does have Sola Scriptura as their doctrine along with Sacred Tradition and the episcopacy. They however believe the Church has the complete right to interpret the Bible how they wish.
How so? Sola scriptura means "scripture alone". If you have Scripture plus the Sacred Tradition, then that's not Sola scriptura.

Besides, the whole point of the five solas was to mark a distinction between Catholics and Protestants. If Sola scriptura was Catholic doctrine, there would be no point in including it in the five solas.
Σא

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 02:55:48 pm »
Actually the Catholic church does have Sola Scriptura as their doctrine along with Sacred Tradition and the episcopacy. They however believe the Church has the complete right to interpret the Bible how they wish.
How so? Sola scriptura means "scripture alone". If you have Scripture plus the Sacred Tradition, then that's not Sola scriptura.

Besides, the whole point of the five solas was to mark a distinction between Catholics and Protestants. If Sola scriptura was Catholic doctrine, there would be no point in including it in the five solas.

It can be the foundation though. I may have misread what I was looking at, however.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline czechmate

• Apprentice
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 06:24:23 am »
Fundamentalist Christians actually do read the Bible, but only the parts that suit their agenda.
It is very curious that the Fundies always quote from the OT (which is most of the Torah) and never from the NT which is exclusively JHC.
FYI fundies, JHC is mentioned more times in the Quran than in the NT.
BTW - Atheists understand the Bible.