Author Topic: Sentenced to jail for rape. (For being raped that is.)  (Read 11633 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Sentenced to jail for rape. (For being raped that is.)
« on: July 20, 2013, 01:22:17 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23381448

A norwegian woman who was on a business trip to Dubai was raped and after reporting the rape to the police she is now being charged with extra-marital affair, a crime that can land her in jail for 16 months. (along with minor crimes of alcohol use and perjury.)

The problem is that in the UAE, extramarital sex really is a crime , even if it wasn't and affair or consensual sex and by  their laws, admitting to being raped she also admitted to having sex outside of marriage.

A horrible law and I'd rather have the international community come down on these assholes like a ton of bricks. If they want to be global and deal with other countries and businesses maybe it's time to update their laws as well.

This whole story is rage inducing. She was raped by a co-worker and when she escaped to the hotel lobby to call to the police the hotel employess warned her not to... In retrospect it seems they wanted to protect her from jail, but these laws are just stupid.

And the only reason she managed to get help from Norway is that she borrowed a phone from another detained woman and made a call she wasn't allowed to do. Norway has at least done the decent thing and got her out of the jail into their custody, with the foreign minister having stern words with UAE representatives.

Meanwhile the rapists might be sentenced to 13 months in jail. Not for rape though, the only way to be convicted from rape is if there are at least four male witnesses or he confesses.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
Re: Sentenced to jail for rape. (For being raped that is.)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 02:03:59 am »
So what is the co-worker facing?
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 02:08:15 am »
I think this is less of a story about how the UAE is a rotten piece of shit and more about how Norway knows exactly what to do when other countries act like rotten pieces of shit.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 02:16:10 am »
Like I said, 13 months for extramarital affair and alcohol consumption.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 02:27:39 am »
Like I said, 13 months for extramarital affair and alcohol consumption.
On the bright side, 13 months there is a lot more hell than 13 months here.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 02:32:25 am »
How did they decide on a minimum of 4 male witnesses in the first place? Don't rapes happen discreetly or something?
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 02:34:24 am »
I think this is less of a story about how the UAE is a rotten piece of shit and more about how Norway knows exactly what to do when other countries act like rotten pieces of shit.

My initial thought was "bomb them flat"? but then I realised that's completely retarded and I was reacting emotionally.

Go Norway! You did precisely the right thing. Not like naughty Canada.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 02:40:24 am »
Okay, so she's in Norwegian custody, but only on conditional release? What happens if she's convicted? Would Norway be able to prevent her from being thrown in jail, or once she's sentenced, are they powerless?

My initial thought was "bomb them flat"? but then I realised that's completely retarded and I was reacting emotionally.

Apologies for being uninformed, but what exactly are you referring to? But still, Norway seems to be handling this pretty well so far. Canada's pretty useless when it comes to protecting its citizens from shit like this in other countries.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 02:47:22 am »

Apologies for being uninformed, but what exactly are you referring to? But still, Norway seems to be handling this pretty well so far. Canada's pretty useless when it comes to protecting its citizens from shit like this in other countries.
[/quote]

My initial thought when chitoryu mentioned Denmark "doing the right thing" regarding this case, my idea of the right thing included carpet bombing. Then I thought about it for literally a second and realised that that's moronic and agreed Denmark has done the right thing. Go Denmark!

In Canadian terms, I meant that case a few years back where the husband/family of a Canadian citizen kidnapped the shit out of her in Dubai and Canada didn't do shit about it.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 02:51:12 am »
In Canadian terms, I meant that case a few years back where the husband/family of a Canadian citizen kidnapped the shit out of her in Dubai and Canada didn't do shit about it.

Oh yeah, I remember that. Yeah, my country is embarrassingly and shamefully useless when shit likes this happens.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 02:54:45 am »
How did they decide on a minimum of 4 male witnesses in the first place? Don't rapes happen discreetly or something?

Old islamic laws/traditions. Not exactly fair on women in general.

And Lt. Fred? Norway and Denmark are not the same country. Even if they are nearby.

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 03:42:28 am »
At least this story has a happy ending, sort of. Too many of these kinds of stories involving women being mistreated in foreign countries end horribly, because too many people are too busy worrying about "national sovereignty" or whatever bullshit to do something about blatant violations of their own citizen's basic human rights.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 03:54:44 am »

Old islamic laws/traditions. Not exactly fair on women in general.

And Lt. Fred? Norway and Denmark are not the same country. Even if they are nearby.

How do I words?

-FDR

Offline Indikins

• Pope
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 04:10:48 am »

I recall reading a book, Cruel and Unusual Punishment by a Muslim woman, Nonie Darwish. I'm not saying that this one book is an infallible source, and I'm not saying I necessarily agree with her, but she more or less said that these laws require four male witnesses so that men can pretty much get away with rape. She made the point that it's unlikely for there to be at least four male witnesses present at a rape who are not...participating...in some way, and they certainly don't want any women having the power to be legal witnesses in a rape trial.
I once had a nightmare about chickens pecking me to death on my driveway. I told my sister to save herself.

This is the #1 nightmare.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 04:16:43 am »
Okay, so she's in Norwegian custody, but only on conditional release? What happens if she's convicted? Would Norway be able to prevent her from being thrown in jail, or once she's sentenced, are they powerless?

I'm guessing that the Norwegian representatives to the UAE are currently engaging in diplomacy to convince the Arabs to drop the case. If it doesn't happen, I'm hoping Norway will "diplomatically" tell them where they can stick it. They can't exactly invade, and last time I checked Norway's economy didn't rely on Arab trade.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.