Author Topic: FSTDT forum history project  (Read 5263 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
FSTDT forum history project
« on: August 07, 2013, 12:10:03 am »
Welp, it would seem that a lot of the archive were not needed after all.

Though I was not here from the beginning and did not have the opportunity to converse with some of the more famous members of the old forums I will not let their memory fade away. I will be archiving as much of the old forums as possible to accomplish such. In fact I might have to archive this forum. Please note, I cannot access restricted subforum on the old boards or this one. IF YOU HAVE ANY REQUESTS POST IT NOW! Please understand, entire forums will take some time.

Methodology:
So far ScrapBook 1.5.6 (A FireFox plugin no less!) is crap and I am using Teleport Ultra for everything, if anyone has better suggestions I am all ears. .rar archives have a 10% recovery record, text compression and integrated CRC32 hashes for all compressed files.

Progress so far:
Requests Fullfilled
All of The Sandman’s threads in one .rar file!
The nautical999 exorcism thread  in one .rar file!
Archive of the old Worst Political Cartoons thread.
Archive of the old  Best Political Cartoons thread.

Multipart archives of entire forums
65530 link version of forums.fstdt.net, recovery volumes for the .rar archives!
65530 link version of fstdt.proboards.com, recovery volumes.

How to:
Extract archives to a folder.
Browse to [extracted folder]\forums\forums.fstdt.net\index.htm
Double click index.htm

Otherwise:
All of The Sandman’s threads: For those not using ScrapBook 1.5.6 you have to extract Sandman.rar then open \sandman\data\20130806132811\index.html That index.html is basically the search listing of all Sandman's threads via a 'Recent Threads' page. Different pages of a thread have to be accessed via this file otherwise you will redirect to the old forum.

The nautical999 exorcism thread: Double click people-page=[page number here].htm for a cached page, links on a cached page redirect to the server.

Both of the above will be resolved when the associated boards are spidered.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 08:13:28 pm by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Undecided

• The boring one.
  • Bishop
  • Amateur Obfuscator
Re: FSTDT forum history project
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 12:14:14 am »
I don't have any particular requests, but I appreciate that this is being done.
You mad, you lose.

People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant.
Helen Keller
Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.
Voltaire

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 12:15:03 am »
TIM, this is awesome, whatever shit people tend to give you.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 12:15:25 am »
Ooh, I have a request: The thread with nautilus999. I'm sure someone else will be able to point you in the right direction, but I know it's on the old refugee board.

EDIT: I also second what Art Vandelay said. Thanks for doing this, TIM.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 12:18:26 am by Eva-Beatrice »
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 12:17:18 am »
Not bad. I have to say, this is quite a departure from your usual standard.

That said, you should probably get this forum archived first. It's the one getting nuked while the Proboards forum isn't likely to go anywhere.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 12:26:08 am »
Update!
For those not using ScrapBook 1.5.6 you have to extract Sandman.rar then open \sandman\data\20130806132811\index.html
That index.html is basically the search listing of all Sandman's threads via a 'Recent Threads' page. Different pages of a thread have to be accessed via this file otherwise you will redirect to the old forum.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 10:48:25 am »
I also appreciate that this is being done, thank you for saving Sandman's threads, it's brilliant. May he be internet immortal.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 11:17:58 am »
TIM, can you archive this thread of nautical999? http://fstdt.proboards.com/thread/2671/people
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 03:24:53 pm »
I can't access my Proboards account at the moment, but I'm sure there are plenty of threads to be saved. Thanks for doing this.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 03:31:33 pm »
I once attempted to back up the old IRC quote thread from proboards. I got a little over a year's worth of quotes into it and quit. If you could succeed where I failed, that would be fantastic.

Also, thank you for doing this. When I heard the forum was being nuked, Sandman was the first thing I thought of.
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 03:37:51 pm »
I once attempted to back up the old IRC quote thread from proboards. I got a little over a year's worth of quotes into it and quit. If you could succeed where I failed, that would be fantastic.

Also, thank you for doing this. When I heard the forum was being nuked, Sandman was the first thing I thought of.

I can't believe I forgot about that. The IRC quote thread is of utmost importance.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 03:40:32 pm by Sleepy »
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 05:54:38 pm »
Illusive, I wished I had been anywhere near as diligent with WinAce and The Divine Comedy.  Someone vandalized it, it was taken down and the grace period expired because the board's owner was, well, deceased.  The entire mod staff moved on and it was untouched for a good five years.  That, and hyperboards ruined everything when they went to their V2 format.  Now, everything he posted there is lost.  A brilliant humanities student wiser than damn near everyone over twice his age.

Aside from me rambling, thank you for making an archive of especially Sandman's posts if there comes a time when someone takes down the Refugee board for good.
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 08:08:55 pm »
TIM, can you archive this thread of nautical999? http://fstdt.proboards.com/thread/2671/people

Request fullfilled! Due to how Teleport Pro works you have to open each .htm file separately, a link to a different page redirects to the server not the saved file. I am working on fixing this somehow.

It took some finesse but no the cached files no longer make calls to google-analytics.com and a bunch of third party tracking crap. To do this I removed proboards.com-async.js The following code has been removed from: people-page=141.htm, people-page=87.htm, people-page=96.htm, people-page=67.htm, people-page=81.htm, people-page=56.htm, people-page=12.htm:
Code: [Select]
ga.async = true; ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www/') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';

Speaking of Teleport Pro I almost had a complete (except for parts my account can't access) mirror of http://forums.fstdt.net/. I found out that there is a arbitrary limit to the # of urls (65530) that can be downloaded by Teleport Pro. Have acquired Teleport Ultra, will respider this forum and the old proboards.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 01:14:23 am »
Waitwaitwait...you've got a hunk the old Yahweh boards, too?  Damn, dude, that's actually pretty impressive work.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 02:56:50 pm »
I don't always have a positive opinion of TIM, but when I do he's usually done something pretty good.

Could you archive my entire F&B thread? I want it for future reference, and to give new people a chance to see what I'm talking about even after this forum is gone.

Also, is it worth the time and effort to record the various pic threads like best/worst cartoons and protest signs, funny pictures, and disturbing images?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov