Author Topic: Rant 1: Your "true" Christianity is Nothing Special  (Read 9021 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Rant 1: Your "true" Christianity is Nothing Special
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 03:27:16 pm »
The thing is, damn near EVERY religion says that they're "right."  How the hell do they know?  It actually kinda strikes me a little arrogant to assume that your religion is the one that got all the things right.  Let's just ignore the numerous scientific inaccuracies and downright impossibilities most religions teach as if they're simple facts of life.  Its down right maddening, sometimes.

I wanted to say something positive about paganism here but then I remembered all the rigorists* screaming about how things should be done their way.  Even met an anti-gay pagan once, who claimed that gays violated the natural balance of masculine and feminine.

*rigorists are the kinds of people who put the "fundie" in "fundamentalist".  Effectively, consider it a synonym for "fundie".
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 03:40:04 pm »
The thing is, damn near EVERY religion says that they're "right."  How the hell do they know?  It actually kinda strikes me a little arrogant to assume that your religion is the one that got all the things right.  Let's just ignore the numerous scientific inaccuracies and downright impossibilities most religions teach as if they're simple facts of life.  Its down right maddening, sometimes.

I wanted to say something positive about paganism here but then I remembered all the rigorists* screaming about how things should be done their way.  Even met an anti-gay pagan once, who claimed that gays violated the natural balance of masculine and feminine.

*rigorists are the kinds of people who put the "fundie" in "fundamentalist".  Effectively, consider it a synonym for "fundie".

I think Pagans are less likely to be fundies, because their beliefs are generally more laid back.

Sadly this isn't always the case. My mum is pagan, but she's prejudiced against IVF and transgender people.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 04:40:01 pm »

There's always going to be idiots. There's just less pagan idiots. My parents are pagans and do pretty much live by "Do what you want, so long as it does not harm others".
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 05:13:49 pm »
Exactly, and that's all cool.  Its just, a lot of the uber-fundamentalist pricks, and even some of their lesser fundamentalist cousins, like to imply that while NOT being a prick is a good thing, that your life must be devoid of joy if its devoid of religion.  I have no religion; I am about as atheist as you can get, I reject all gods and all forms of spiritism, shamanism, druidism, and whatever else you want to be referred to as when describing your beliefs.  They have no scientific proof that any of what they say is true, and I'm fine with that.  You can believe that god's a pineapple for all I care, but I'll not recognize the assumption of its existence.  That said, I actually have a pretty decent life.  I've managed to move out of my parents' house, my family back home is doing better than they ever have before, and I'm with the woman of my dreams.

I recognize no god or divinity, and I have joy.  Don't try and imply otherwise, else I'll feel joy by kicking you in the groin.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 07:46:57 pm »

Fundamentalists lack something.  I believe that it's called humility.  It's supposed to balance out your convictions and get you to admit that you're no better than anyone else.  Somewhere, people thought that Jesus wanted a bunch of lawyers who could spit his musings at people as if it's supposed to be some sort of game where you can gain XP and levels by using Scripture instead of a new nature to gain influence and prestige.   I'm pretty sure this is carried over from Catholic traditions where once they became dominant, they resorted to the same tactics as their predecessors.

As I recall, Jesus really liked lawyers who kept verbally beating people with Torah verses.
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 11:11:08 pm »
RR was pretty fond of telling me that I got their beliefs "wrong" because of minor differences in wording. They were particularly stuck on the (lack of) difference between "God sends you to Hell" & "you go to Hell because of your sins."

Yeah, "you send yourself to hell" is classic blame the victim.  God still decides who goes to hell and heaven so the petty semantic differences are a moot point.  I love how they completely miss the point and instead focus on the meaningless semantics.

"So, if I send myself to Hell, then I could just not go."
"It doesn't work like that."
"Then I don't have a choice."
"You can choose to be saved."
"But if I don't, I can't just not go?"
"It will be too late."
"Then I didn't send myself to Hell, someone else forced my hand."
"You chose to sin."
"But I did not choose to go anywhere. Why would I? That makes no sense."
"Why indeed."
"You're a damn moron."
"I'll pray for you."
"That's basically what I said."

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 02:50:51 am »
If I can say something from a Christian standpoint...

All of your posts are the main reason why I don't openly proselytize to people.  Most of you have your own rhyme and reason to believe what you want to believe, and me openly proselytizing to you is not only really annoying, but also will more than likely not persuade you into my beliefs.  I'm comfortable about sharing my beliefs, but only will share if asked.

As a Christian, even I have been proselytized to before about how I should properly worship Jesus Christ.  On a typical day, I wouldn't be considered Christian to the fundies because I'm not conservative enough or don't think exactly like they do.  However, somehow I become Christian to these same people when they try to point out that the United States is a Christian country and therefore should have Biblical based laws they want in the secular law books.  So yeah, I sometimes go through some pain myself dealing with fundies.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 03:16:29 am »
^ You know something... that post could have come directly from me.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 01:37:20 pm »
I think I've already pointed this out a couple posts ago in this thread, but it bears repeating:

What pisses me off the most about this "True Christian" thing is the No True Scotsman fallacy, and that being such a huge pet peeve of mine. I've seen people who define themselves "True Christians" who are at least fucking decent people who thinks who consider the justification of judging and antagonizing the LGBT and "non-obedient" women (such as Feminists and generally women who stray away from the patriarchal roles of women) because "The Bible tells me so" is so shitty and un-Christlike, and then I see "True Christians" who are those holier-than-thou assholes I just have a hard time shaking off my head (living in a state where these people are common doesn't help at all).

Offline majingojira

• Neonate
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 07:00:23 pm »
What pisses me off the most about this "True Christian" thing is the No True Scotsman fallacy, and that being such a huge pet peeve of mine. I've seen people who define themselves "True Christians" who are at least fucking decent people who thinks who consider the justification of judging and antagonizing the LGBT and "non-obedient" women (such as Feminists and generally women who stray away from the patriarchal roles of women) because "The Bible tells me so" is so shitty and un-Christlike, and then I see "True Christians" who are those holier-than-thou assholes I just have a hard time shaking off my head (living in a state where these people are common doesn't help at all).

Humans have a need to feel special, part of that is exclusivity. Out of all the myriad religions, sects, faiths, and cults, only the ones who are members of their own particular brand of Christianity is the correct one and is going to heave, and has the secret. If they said that Catholics, baptists, Mormons and Jehovah's witnesses were Christianity, why then it would not longer be exclusive and they would no longer feel special. They would have to share Jesus with them, and they are jealous.