Author Topic: Missouri Attempts to Circumvent Federal Laws  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Missouri Attempts to Circumvent Federal Laws
« on: August 30, 2013, 12:52:46 pm »
Don't blink, or you'll miss it!

Basically, Missouri is attempting to pass a bunch of laws to make it harder for the federal government to enforce gun control laws, and in particular the Affordable Care Act. Because STATES' RIGHTS!!!!1!!One!+!"!!!

If you ever wondered what a 21st century nullification crisis would look like, look no further than Missouri. One hundred and forty eight years after the end of the Civil War, the New York Times reports, "the Republican-controlled Missouri legislature is expected to enact a statute next month nullifying all federal gun laws in the state and making it a crime for federal agents to enforce them." Meanwhile, the Show Me State is doing everything it can to effectively block implementation of the Affordable Care Act.

While the Missouri GOP is seeking the de jure nullification of federal firearms laws, Show Me State Republicans are also pursuing the de facto nullification of Obamacare.

An estimated 877,000 people in Missouri are currently uninsured. But despite Governor Nixon's best effort, Republican legislators block the expansion of Medicaid, leaving 267,000 in Missouri stuck in the "coverage gap." All told, some 5.5 million people in GOP-dominated states, McClatchy explained, will find themselves  trapped in "a bureaucratic twilight zone where people with poverty-level incomes don't qualify for Medicaid and can't get tax credits to help buy coverage on the new insurance marketplaces."

But in Missouri, things will be even worse. Republicans there didn't just refuse to accept billions in federal Medicaid dollars or set up their own state health care exchange. They are actively undermining any outreach or customer service for Show Me State residents seeking information about or help enrolling in new insurance plans made possible by the Affordable Care Act.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Missouri Attempts to Circumvent Federal Laws
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 12:54:29 pm »
Misery in Missouri.   Original, I know.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 01:28:28 pm »
/facedesk /facedesk /facedesk /facedesk /facedesk

I don't even know what to say. It's too stupid.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 01:29:30 pm »
It also dies before it can be implemented.

Ironbite-federal laws trump state

wrightway

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 01:30:54 pm »
Huh, I thought this thing had already been killed.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 01:34:08 pm »
It also dies before it can be implemented.

Ironbite-federal laws trump state
Let's hope so. States are getting insane. I wouldn't be surprised if the National Guard ends up involved at this rate.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 01:50:19 pm »
I don't see why they're all up ons about it.  If federal would just trump it, why bring the state into it to begin with?  Is it like a protest, or maybe they think they can persuade the federal govt. to see things their way?

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 01:57:00 pm »
I don't see why they're all up ons about it.  If federal would just trump it, why bring the state into it to begin with?  Is it like a protest, or maybe they think they can persuade the federal govt. to see things their way?
It's like a dog snapping at it's owner because it's been scolded for shitting on the floor.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 01:58:39 pm »
^Ah... I had a feeling that was the case.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 02:33:32 pm »
They probably don't know that federal law trumps state law. Or they're stupid enough to think they can write a law that allows them to ignore that fact.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 02:34:22 pm »
They probably don't know that federal law trumps state law. Or they're stupid enough to think they can write a law that allows them to ignore that fact.

Don't forget that it's the courts that decide which laws are invalid, and the courts have no inherent power to enforce their rulings.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 03:03:19 pm »
They're counting on the 10th Amendment which gives any power not specifically granted to the Federal Government to the States and vice versa.  But, if the Federal Government suddenly makes a law that directly impacts the States, the States have to suck it up and go with it.  They can challenge, which they're certainly doing right now, but in the end, Federal Courts will side with the Federal Government especially with laws that have long standing.

Ironbite-also the Federal Government can choose what to do with any State law...such as certain state drug laws that have been passed recently.