Author Topic: Eric Cantor loses his primary  (Read 3255 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Eric Cantor loses his primary
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 01:42:43 am »
This is gonna be fun.  Why?  Because a huge section of the GOP war machine is now....gone.  Poof.  Just like that.  All those sponsors, corporate backers, the rich people who owned Cantor.....gone.
Nah, they still have all the other politicians that they have bought.

Losing one of their pawns, particularly to a loonie who might now be one ANYONE's payroll is a bad thing as they lost what they had invested on Cantor. But I doubt that anyone who spends huge sums of money in lobbyists would be dumb enough to only grease the palms of a single politician, they have others and one loony who doesn't play by the rules can't do much damage. (besides if they are lucky, a Democrat will win in which case he will either be unable to accomplish anything due to being a Democrat or he will just be bought like the others.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 07:41:33 am »
This is gonna be fun.  Why?  Because a huge section of the GOP war machine is now....gone.  Poof.  Just like that.  All those sponsors, corporate backers, the rich people who owned Cantor.....gone.  It's going to be interesting how all those people take a look at the Tea Party because at any primary....another one of their bought and paid for idiots can be taken out just like this.

Ironbite-and an unelectable Tea Party idiot takes center stage and then falls on election day.

I hope so, with all that infighting. I do agree with askold...."EvilCO" (my term for corrupt CEOS & such) will just find another goober to put their money on. That said, I agree with you, pretty much and your second point I agree with 100%.

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 01:15:57 pm »
I'm ambivalent.  On the one hand, Cantor is a terrible human being who worked to hurt a lot of people for reasons I find stupid and repellant.  Even if he isn't a stupid bigot himself, he definitely pandered to stupid bigots to keep getting elected so he could keep sucking the dicks of the kleptocracy.

On the other hand, the guy who defeated him in the primary almost certainly is a stupid bigot, and he won by pandering ever harder to the stupid bigots that are now the Republican party's base.  As unreasonable as Cantor as been as a Congressman, Brat will be even worse.  Even worse than that, this scares the hell out of the rest of the GOP, making them ever more afraid to cut any deals that could be seen as "helping the Kenyan Muslin N***er destroy American and take away our guns".  Even though, objectively, the Establishment Republicans have been beating the Teabagger challengers for the most part in this round's primaries.

Cantor's district when for Rmoney by a comfortable margin two years ago.  David Brat is most likely going to win;  I certainly hope he doesn't, but he probably is.  While he himself will be a freshman, and thus far from the power player Cantor was, there's no shortage of power-hungry jerkbags ready and willing to take Cantor's place in the Congressional hierarchy.
Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 02:24:44 am »
So as not to start a new thread about each primary, here's another result:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/thad-cochran-u-s-republican-senator-bests-tea-party-rival-in-mississippi-primary-1.2686585

Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Mississippi) has very narrowly won his party's nomination for the Senate race this year. The guy he beat was, as you might expect, backed by the Tea Party, and it had to go to a runoff.

Cochran defeated state legislator Chris McDaniel, who collected more votes than Cochran in the original June 3 primary, but was short of the 50 per cent needed to avoid the runoff. With 99 per cent of precincts reporting Tuesday, Cochran led with 51 per cent to McDaniel's 49 per cent.

This being Mississippi, McDaniel probably would have won the Senate race, so... lesser of two evils?
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 07:12:08 am »

This being Mississippi, McDaniel probably would have won the Senate race, so... lesser of two evils?

At this point, I don't think any Republican could be considered, "the lesser of two evils" even if running against Cthulhu.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 07:41:41 am »
Republican, Tea Party....they're all the same. The Party of Lincoln is dead! :P

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 08:07:22 am »

At this point, I don't think any Republican could be considered, "the lesser of two evils" even if running against Cthulhu.

Why choose the lesser evil?  HASTUR/NYARLATHOTEP 2016!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 01:55:45 pm »

Max for President!
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 07:05:34 pm »
only if Sam's his VP!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 07:17:25 pm »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 02:21:50 am »
Norman Osborn / The Hood 2016

Vote for us - We have the Angel of Death.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 08:22:39 am »
HA HAAAAAA!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 12:48:30 pm »

Why choose the lesser evil?  HASTUR/NYARLATHOTEP 2016!

I'm a Azathoth/Cthulhu man, myself.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".