Author Topic: Gay marriage (temporarily) legal in Oklahoma.  (Read 5883 times)

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Gay marriage (temporarily) legal in Oklahoma.
« on: October 06, 2014, 11:49:28 pm »
http://www.newson6.com/story/26715092/stay-lifted-same-sex-marriage-now-legal-in-oklahoma

So gay marriage is for now legal in Oklahoma and four other states after a decision (or lack thereof) by the supreme court means that the decision of a lower court stands. Of course the Governor and several politicians made negative comments that I'm sure most of you can recite without having to hear them. "Something something intrusive federal government something something god and traditional values something something states rights something something agendas." The actual quotes being:

Governor Mary Fallin released the following statement,

“The people of Oklahoma have the right to determine how marriage is defined. In 2004, Oklahomans exercised that right, voting by a margin of 3-1 to define marriage as the union of one man and one woman.

The will of the people has now been overridden by unelected federal justices, accountable to no one. That is both undemocratic and a violation of states' rights. Rather than allowing states to make their own policies that reflect the values and views of their residents, federal judges have inserted themselves into a state issue to pursue their own agendas.

Today's decision has been cast by the media as a victory for gay rights. What has been ignored, however, is the right of Oklahomans – and Americans in every state – to write their own laws and govern themselves as they see fit. Those rights have once again been trampled by an arrogant, out-of -control federal government that wants to substitute Oklahoma values with Washington, D.C. values.”

Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt also issued a statement on the ruling:

“I am disappointed the Supreme Court chose not to grant a hearing of these cases. The states have long held primacy in determining what constitutes the definition of marriage. That is why the state, though not named in the lawsuit, filed ‘friend of the court' briefs encouraging the Supreme Court to take up for review the case from Oklahoma. As recently as 2013, the Supreme Court in the Windsor case recognized that marriage is a state institution and that states in fact do have primacy in determining what constitutes the definition of marriage. That makes the decision today by the Supreme Court not to take up these cases for review even more troubling.”

When I first heard the headline I was proud that my state had actually become one of the few that allowed gay marriage. Of course that pride vanished as soon as I heard it was only temporary and by force that such was legal.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Gay marriage (temporarily) legal in Oklahoma.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 11:54:19 pm »
Well, at least it's something.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 01:22:43 am »
It's good that our governor has put aside our state's problems with poverty and education to talk about the real important issue of not being allowed to be a bigot anymore.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 01:27:00 am »
Umm, guys? You're neglecting the circuit court appeals that just got shut down cold by the SCOTUS. That means every state in those appeals circuits has to abide by those same laws. West Virginia and Utah are two states that apply in that regard.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 01:32:51 am »
Yeah these aren't temporary things.  This is a permanent change.  Whatever the lower courts ruled, the SCOTUS just said it stands and we're not hearing these cases.  30 states just got a fast track to the 20th century.

Ironbite-the other 20 will follow.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 04:31:41 am »
Yeah these aren't temporary things.  This is a permanent change.  Whatever the lower courts ruled, the SCOTUS just said it stands and we're not hearing these cases.  30 states just got a fast track to the 20th century.

Ironbite-the other 20 will follow.

Because so far, none of those lower courts have said anything other than "you've got to allow gay marriage, folks!" Wait for one of them to say otherwise and see how fast the Court grants certiorari.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 10:24:11 am »
"Intrusive federal government"? Didn't the highest, most "federal" court in the land say they weren't going to get involved? A wise decision, I might add. In any case, if your governor doesn't like this, he'd better hurry up and get the voters to defeat this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when gay marriage stays legal in a state for a few years, at that point it becomes harder and harder to challenge at the polls.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 10:51:33 am »
The Supreme Court refused to hear the case, but that's not exactly the same as them not getting involved.  It was a lower federal court that struck down the anti-marriage equality law in the first place.  By refusing to hear the case, the Supreme Court effectively affirmed the ruling of the lower court.  Refusing to accept the case is like saying that it is so obvious that the ruling made by the Court of Appeals (or Courts of Appeals, in this case) is correct, that they don't even need to hear it.

And, the voters can't defeat this.  Their law banning same sex marriage was struck down as unconstitutional, and any new law banning it would be equally unconstitutional.  In fact, now that same-sex marriage is legal, even the courts would have a hard time eliminating it.  The SCOTUS ruling on Prop 8 said that it was unconstitutional to take away marriage rights in a jurisdiction in which they had previously existed.  The only way outlaw same-sex marriage in those 30 states would be to amend the federal Constitution, which isn't going to happen.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 11:02:37 am »
The Supreme Court refused to hear the case, but that's not exactly the same as them not getting involved.  It was a lower federal court that struck down the anti-marriage equality law in the first place.  By refusing to hear the case, the Supreme Court effectively affirmed the ruling of the lower court.  Refusing to accept the case is like saying that it is so obvious that the ruling made by the Court of Appeals (or Courts of Appeals, in this case) is correct, that they don't even need to hear it.

And, the voters can't defeat this.  Their law banning same sex marriage was struck down as unconstitutional, and any new law banning it would be equally unconstitutional.  In fact, now that same-sex marriage is legal, even the courts would have a hard time eliminating it.  The SCOTUS ruling on Prop 8 said that it was unconstitutional to take away marriage rights in a jurisdiction in which they had previously existed.  The only way outlaw same-sex marriage in those 30 states would be to amend the federal Constitution, which isn't going to happen.

The voters (or the legislatures) can vote against it again and again, and each time they do the marriages will stop, and the issue will be litigated, and some judge will point out that no, you can't do that. Eventually, even if the lower courts keep saying that, the Supreme Court might step in just to try to shut down all the nonsense (and that still won't work).

Probably the best way of getting the Court to hear the case, though, is to find a circuit court that will rule against same-sex marriage. At that point there's a dissonance in the federal courts and the Supreme Court would have to realize that it would be remiss in its duty to clarify and definitively interpret the law not to hear the case.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 11:03:31 am »
Any bets on the last state to allow gay marriage? Alabama or Mississippi?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 11:04:27 am »

A whole bunch simultaneously, when either the last circuit court rules in favour, or when the Supreme Court steps in.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 01:04:14 pm »
Any bets on will some state will try to secede from USA because of gay marriage?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 03:27:13 pm »
Any bets on will some state will try to secede from USA because of gay marriage?

Texas will threaten to, then sit on their hands.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 03:29:27 pm »

Texas will threaten to, then sit on their hands.

My Canadian friend keeps comparing Texas to Quebec.  And this is one of the major similarities.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 03:37:23 pm »
When this issue finally settles down -- however long that may take -- the BillyBobs will find something else that's pissing God off and threatening civilization.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.