Author Topic: Public defender arrested for defending her client  (Read 4098 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Public defender arrested for defending her client
« on: February 02, 2015, 11:22:48 am »
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/01/28/san-francisco-deputy-public-defender-detained-for-intervening-between-police-and-her-client/

To make a long story short: in San Fransisco the police wanted to question the suspect AND they wanted to make these questions without his attorney being present. When Deputy Public Defender Jami Tillotson refused to leave and let the police handle the matter without her they first declared that if she does not step aside she will be arrested for "resisting arrest." When she continued explaining that she is simply doing her job and that she needs to be present so that she can DEFEND her client they really did arrest her and cuff her so that her client and another person could be taken to be questioned.

Let me say that again: The police arrested a public defender because she refused to stop defending the public.

All of this is on video

There may be a need for investigation into the police department ...or possibly a violent revolution.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Public defender arrested for defending her client
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 12:06:02 pm »
... Well, this is just going to add fuel to the fire.  As if cops weren't distrusted enough already.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 12:16:49 pm »
I wonder if the cops would have tried pulling this crap on a private defence attorney.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 01:04:04 pm »
Dear God, are there any cops who aren't lawbreaking dicks?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 01:21:12 pm »
Dear God, are there any cops who aren't lawbreaking dicks?
Sure. For example, the article mentions that the cop who arrested the Public defendant is already in trouble because he has racially profiled people and one of those occasions was reported. Because he tried to arrest a fellow officer on fake charges. He saw some minority member in a car stopped him and arrested him and it turned out the suspect was an off duty police officer who reported the incident.

So there already are a few honest cops who will not shirk from their duty to report crooked officers... As long as those crooked officers have harmed them specifically.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 02:32:00 pm »
Someone pointed me to this article on the issue:

http://wonkette.com/574474/giant-baby-cop-cant-use-his-big-boy-words-uses-handcuffs-instead

Yes, the headline is "Giant Baby Cop Can’t Use His Big Boy Words, Uses Handcuffs Instead".
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 03:16:06 pm »
Someone pointed me to this article on the issue:

http://wonkette.com/574474/giant-baby-cop-cant-use-his-big-boy-words-uses-handcuffs-instead

Yes, the headline is "Giant Baby Cop Can’t Use His Big Boy Words, Uses Handcuffs Instead".

Honestly, he deserves to be mocked.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 05:38:42 pm »
I expect this in New York.  I expect this in LA.  I expect this in small town America.

I DON'T EXPECT THIS IN FUCKING SAN FRANFUCKINGFRISCO!

Ironbite-for fuck's sake.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 07:00:51 pm »
Damn! And she was doing her job.

Hopefully, being a lawyer, maybe she can find a way to undo this or talk to the ACLU or something. The fuzz had no legal reason to do this! No explanation, nothing! Surely she has a case.

At least there's a big anti-police brutality movement brewing. This is surely going to end sometimes. Reform always comes eventually. After all, evil can't triumph for long.

I expect this in New York.  I expect this in LA.  I expect this in small town America.

I DON'T EXPECT THIS IN FUCKING SAN FRANFUCKINGFRISCO!

Ironbite-for fuck's sake.

I felt the same about long island after acquitting a cop for obviously murdering a man on-camera.

I wonder if the teahadis are moving to and infiltrating the progressive territory and enforcing their filthy, weak, dumbass Jim Crow ways on progressive society.

I think all the good cops should just get together, strike and protest.

For those who say that we are in a Police State, I respond with this: Unless someone goes behind a podium in Washington DC and declares on national television that the entire US Constitution is now null and void, this is still a Free Democratic Constitutional Republic and that all this Theofascist, Jim Crow-ish, Plutocratic stupidity is ILLEGAL!! I think Progressives should study the entire US Constitution and shove it in the authoritarian freak's faces!

I also have a question. An idea for a major protest movement that could bring the Corporate Illegal occupation to it's knees....What if a HUGE chunk of U.S. citizens went on strike? Everybody just not go to work in protest?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 07:39:20 pm by Barbarella »

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 08:05:03 pm »
Unfortunately, Barb, too many people are living on a razor's edge between them and poverty or starvation. I seriously doubt you'll get the popular uprising you want until a majority (or at least a very large minority...worse than the Great Depression) of people are actually, literally starving in the streets. The government's still good at one thing, and that's bread and circuses.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 11:07:44 pm »
Unfortunately, Barb, too many people are living on a razor's edge between them and poverty or starvation. I seriously doubt you'll get the popular uprising you want until a majority (or at least a very large minority...worse than the Great Depression) of people are actually, literally starving in the streets. The government's still good at one thing, and that's bread and circuses.

I'm sure people are waking up. Remember, people actually hate most of today's TV. No intelligent person watched non-stop TV and believe me, there's TONS of activism online and elsewhere.

I dunno. At least there's an anti-Police Brutality movement brewing.

It'll end. I'm sure there will be reform and things will get better. It's happened before. We have the internet, after all.

Law of Karma...Law of Karma...

As for guys like the Kochs & Murdoch, they're geezers. When they die, things might get better. I don't know of any successors and the bad guys, being selfish jerks, tend to do themselves in. There will be divisions and power struggles.

We've been through this before. We conquered the Gilded Age once and we can & will do it again.

You see, you & I only hear the bad news. We get the delusion that the corrupt powers that be are invincible....but it's a lie.

They want you to feel hopeless.

Read this....
http://www.vox.com/2014/11/24/7272929/charts-thankful
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:25:10 pm by Barbarella »

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 11:40:02 pm »
San Francisco, Really?

Really?

How low is this dumbass' IQ, I wonder.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 12:09:17 am »
San Francisco, Really?

Really?

How low is this dumbass' IQ, I wonder.

Well, at least it is Frisco because the outcry might actually accomplish something. The folks of S.F. would not stand for this!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 12:22:23 am »
This guy's dumbass move will follow him for the rest of his existence.

I am very happy about that.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 06:30:58 am »
Well, I'd say the defender is going to walk away from this with some rather nice compensation from the city, while her client, short of dropping a bomob on a church, walks out free, regardless of crimes committed.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"