Author Topic: Home screen shortcut icon for mobile devices  (Read 5864 times)

Offline Neith

• Bishop
Home screen shortcut icon for mobile devices
« on: February 05, 2012, 12:14:45 am »
Hi Distind,

I like to read fstdt on my iPhone, and finally decided to add an icon for it to my home screen recently for easy access. When I did this, all I got was a scrunched up 57x57px screenshot of the homepage, but I would love to see something more representative of the site, like the image you use for the favicon.

The following will work on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and some Android devices.

Make an image like this but exactly 114x114px. This is the optimal size for iPads, and will work for smaller devices, too. You could crop this one to 86x86 if you don't have a larger size, but it won't look as clear on an iPad because it will be stretched out to 114x114.

Name it "apple-touch-icon.png"

Upload it to the root of fstdt.com.

That should take care of the main page, just like uploading favicon.ico to the root will automatically create a favicon.

To make it work on the forums, either upload it again to its root or add this to the <head> section:

<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://fstdt.com/apple-touch-icon.png" />

I'm sure it would look good next to my Not Always Right and Clients From Hell icons.  ;D

Distind

Re: Home screen shortcut icon for mobile devices
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 11:10:32 am »
Huh, leave it to apple.

I'll get on it once I get things settled around here. Does anyone know of any other similar items that I can tack on while I do this? Along with specs preferably.

Offline Neith

• Bishop
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 07:59:41 am »
Thanks, Distind.  :)

Distind

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 10:59:15 am »
Did some digging around to find a better version than what I've been using and this looks to have been a fairly early version of the image:

If anyone wanted to see it in decent shape, less distortion than most I've seen.

Offline Neith

• Bishop
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 03:51:11 pm »
That looks pretty good, Distind. :)  I edited it to make it square without cutting off too much of the sides.  :)

Edit to add: If you need me to make it into a 114x114 png, just let me know.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 04:02:56 pm by Neith »