Author Topic: Grexit; or, The Second "Ohi Day"  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Grexit; or, The Second "Ohi Day"
« on: July 07, 2015, 05:28:59 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/06/world/europe/greek-referendum-debt-crisis-vote.html?_r=0

This is going to have huge ramifications in the Euro Zone.  For good or bad, I don't know.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:33:56 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Second "Ohi Day"
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 05:44:42 pm »
Krugman had a pretty good take on the situation.

Austerity has never worked in the interests of the common people; it's a thinly-veiled power grab by the wealthy. I'm glad to see that Greece collectively has had enough.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 05:47:08 pm »
I see you beat me too it UP.

Let's talk a bit about Germany's position.

The Germans said to Greece - you must pay back 100% of the money. Creditors cannot take a haircut for their bad loans. Greece said yes.
Germany said - you must pay it back today, in violation of your election promises. No delays. Greece said yes.
Germany said - you must impose huge cuts on social welfare institutions like the pension system, throwing most of the country into permanent poverty. Greece said yes.
Greece then said they'd like to cut their defence budget. Germany said no.
Greece said they'd like to levy taxes on their rich; no. No.
It has to all be on the poor. Or you're out. (Their justification for this by the way is that taxing the rich would be recessionary. The Germans simply are not negotiating in good faith, period).

Germany's view is that Greece must continue exactly the failed policies we forced on PASOK, which we know will continue to drive unemployment upwards, which will not end the debt crisis and probably will not even improve the situation and which we know will probably force most Greeks into poverty. There shall be no deviation whatsoever from exactly the policy set down in Berlin. Any failure of this policy is entirely the fault of the Greeks, forever. Elections do not matter. Greeks have no right to determine any element of their economic policy whatsoever. Austerity cannot fail, it can only be failed. These policies will continue until the crisis they caused ends - perhaps 2150 or so.

It should also be of note that Germany's position is regime change. They are trying to humiliate Syriza, so they'll be forced out of government.

Another way of saying this: Merkel is pro-Nazi. The only possible replacement government for Syriza is the Nazis. For a country that declares Never Again every few minutes, this is basically a despicable position. She has chosen to be the modern von Papen.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 06:52:35 pm »
Yeah, it seems to me Merkel would take one look at Hitler and say, "Hi, Adolf, could you take control of Greece for me? It'd be great if you could crush those paupers a little, teach them reverence of the wealthy."

Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 07:33:57 pm »
As I recall, one of the British negotiators involved in the creation of the Eurozone commented that the UK was staying out because a single European currency couldn't work without a single European state--you couldn't have a feasible monetary union without a political union.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 07:44:40 pm »
Well you can, so long as everyone speaks the same language. If the Greek unemployed could just go live in Berlin and take the Germans' jobs for lower wages, you'd not have the problem.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
Re: Grexit; or, The Second "Ohi Day"
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 03:56:51 pm »
To quote Malcom Tucker:

"We're through the looking glass now folks, FUCK ME!"

Doesn't take much to break out the Godwin now does it?

In any case, Neoliberalism is literally the most hilarious thing to happen in the 20th century.  I mean it's such an advanced form of the craft!  Paleoliberalism relies on regular shakedowns of anyone with a job and a pot to piss in to finance it's populist freebies handed out the the underclass.

It causes problems when your wealthy citizens have had enough and move themselves or their money offshore to keep out of your clutches, so the new way is much more effective.  You just have to borrow fucktons of money you can never afford to pay back, spend it all on populist freebies to keep your voter base happy then BLAME IT ALL ON THE WEALTHY AND YOUR CREDITORS when the money is gone and they want their repayments...

It's BRILLIANT!

It's what North Koreans call "gift politics", but on a national scale.

Alternatively we could just call it "Argentina", but then you also need to factor in wear and tear on your money-printing apparatus.  Stagflation ftw :)

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 04:38:03 pm »
Can...can someone translate that?

Ironbite-cause all I see is a bunch of warble gable.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 04:43:48 pm »
Can...can someone translate that?

Ironbite-cause all I see is a bunch of warble gable.

Same here.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 04:56:28 pm »
Sorry, I've got a knack for languages, but I can't even parse that.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 05:10:58 pm »
Okay, seriously, did SpukiKitty hack TheContrarian's account?
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 05:14:18 pm »
To quote Malcom Tucker:

"We're through the looking glass now folks, FUCK ME!"

Doesn't take much to break out the Godwin now does it?

In any case, Neoliberalism is literally the most hilarious thing to happen in the 20th century.  I mean it's such an advanced form of the craft!  Paleoliberalism relies on regular shakedowns of anyone with a job and a pot to piss in to finance it's populist freebies handed out the the underclass.

It causes problems when your wealthy citizens have had enough and move themselves or their money offshore to keep out of your clutches, so the new way is much more effective.  You just have to borrow fucktons of money you can never afford to pay back, spend it all on populist freebies to keep your voter base happy then BLAME IT ALL ON THE WEALTHY AND YOUR CREDITORS when the money is gone and they want their repayments...

It's BRILLIANT!

It's what North Koreans call "gift politics", but on a national scale.

Alternatively we could just call it "Argentina", but then you also need to factor in wear and tear on your money-printing apparatus.  Stagflation ftw :)

Lemme give it a shot.

Nazis were tangientially mentioned, therefore Godwin. The debt is because you help people in need, and you're just blaming the wealthy for wanting to keep what they work so hard and create all your jobs for.

The rest is Whaargarble even to me.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 05:25:35 pm »
We need to toss a few tons of good hard granite gravel under FQA's bridge. Contrarian gets nightmares and an upset tummy from all the soft limestone he's been eating. Clearly, it's giving him severe logorrhea.

Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 05:52:26 pm »

Neoliberalism is a form of laissez-faire capitalism. It's typically against populist freebies.
Σא

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 05:54:18 pm »
You realise that countries have borrowed money for centuries, yeah?

-FDR