Author Topic: So that slippery slope wasn't so slippery after all eh?  (Read 6659 times)

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: So that slippery slope wasn't so slippery after all eh?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2016, 03:43:49 pm »
I'm not saying their orientation can be changed. I'm saying it can probably be suppressed which is probably unhealthy for them and increases their need for more therapy. Unfortunately for the paedophiles them not suppressing their desires causes a huge amount of harm to others so that is not a viable option.

So like, conditioning a homosexual to be celibate?
Precisely. The difference is that a homosexual doesn't harm others by not being celibate. A non-celibate paedophile does. That's why it's ethical to cause mental harm to one and not the other by forcing them to celibacy.

I would disagree that it's in any way moral to cause mental harm to anyone; whether or not society considers it ethical is something that changes between cultures and between different time periods.

It's possible to have a nuanced discussion about this. That said, Conty's not looking for nuance. He's just looking for a quick way to get banned.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2016, 03:51:37 pm »
As the left slips further and further into ridiculousness verging on self-parody, it's hard to find an objective yardstick.

The right elects candidates like Donald Trump and Ben Carson and you want to say it's the left slipping into ridiculousness?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 05:13:18 pm »
I think the big thing that Contrarian is kind of overlooking is consent. Two grown adults can consent to sexual relations. Children on the other hand lack the mental capacity to consent, let alone realize what is even happening.

I think the thing you're overlooking is reading what I've actually written.  My point is that, regardless the specifics of the sexual attraction, the proposed method of dealing with paedophiles is essentially no different to the methods that are considered psychological abuse when applied to homosexuals.

Who or what you are attracted to is totally irrelevant in this.

But if we're going to take archaic and harmful methods that were previously applied to homosexuals and now apply them to paedophiles instead...chemical castration is a thing.
That's applied to pederasts who have tried to fuck children, not necessarily to pedophiles who haven't committed any crimes.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2016, 10:19:05 am »
Contrarian, are you saying that same sex marriage, or just gay acceptance in general, is a bad thing? I just want to make sure we're on the same page here.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2016, 10:29:34 am »
Of course not.

I just think that the arguments you use in support of a thing shouldn't be demonstrable bullshit.  I mean you people must have known that the left is full of ideologues pushing all sort of heinous rubbish, the campaign for marriage equality for homosexual couples was never going to end there no matter how hard you tried.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:31:50 am by TheContrarian »

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Art Vandelay

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2016, 10:59:20 am »
And why exactly are you so convinced that the paedo acceptance crowd are a continuation of the gay rights movement rather than an entirely separate thing? Is it really because the anti-gay religious loons say it is?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2016, 11:06:09 am »
A journey of a thousand miles begins with but a single step.

So, essentially, your proof that slippery slope arguments were right after all is a slippery slope argument. You're adorable.
Σא

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2016, 11:08:14 am »
And why exactly are you so convinced that the paedo acceptance crowd are a continuation of the gay rights movement rather than an entirely separate thing? Is it really because the anti-gay religious loons say it is?

Not the same movement per se, but they definitely both have their roots in the progressive left.

I just found it amusing that progressives who were so angry when the religious right claimed that a push for gay marriage would eventually lead to a push for acceptance of paedophilia are now pushing exactly that.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2016, 11:08:56 am »
Conty, you used to be a better troll than this. Did you stop caring? Are you not feeling well and just phoning this in?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2016, 11:33:35 am »

Not the same movement per se, but they definitely both have their roots in the progressive left.

I just found it amusing that progressives who were so angry when the religious right claimed that a push for gay marriage would eventually lead to a push for acceptance of paedophilia are now pushing exactly that.

Fun fact: "One progressive said A, one progressive said B" is not proof that anyone has said both A and B, let alone that both A and B are generally accepted beliefs by progs.

Ideologies are not individuals, and can contain people with different beliefs. Especially something as broad as 'progressives', which contains submovements who hate each other's guts.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 11:35:29 am by Sigmaleph »
Σא

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2016, 11:41:22 am »
Ideologies are not individuals, and can contain people with different beliefs. Especially something as broad as 'progressives', which contains submovements who hate each other's guts.
Which can make lumping all progressives together in one big strawman an efficient trolling tactic.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2016, 01:35:46 pm »

Sweetheart. Do you think pedos are all on one political page? It is some pedophiles themselves that are attempting to speak out. They are from across the political spectrum from nihilist to wingnut. Also, I remember very, very well back when NAMBLA just invited themselves, just showed up unannounced, to the gay pride parades back in the day. They were not exactly liked. And still are not liked. And not welcome.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2016, 06:13:03 pm »

Based on your sample size of one Salon piece, covering every single card carrying member of the eeevil Progressive Left.

Where do they print those cards btw?