Author Topic: Bermuda reverses same-sex marriage  (Read 208 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Bermuda reverses same-sex marriage
« on: February 09, 2018, 03:57:29 am »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/bermuda-same-sex-marriage-1.4526889

A Bermuda court had some months ago ordered that same-sex couples could get married on the island, but the legislature has overruled them to instead create domestic partnership status for same-sex unions.

The British government, while it holds veto power over all decisions made by the Bermudan legislature and government, has declined to intervene in what it views as a purely domestic matter for the self-governing island.

Same-sex couples who legally married in the time between the court decision and the passage of this law will remain so.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Be weird, cause normal is boring.

From my rotting body, flowers will grow and I am in them and that is eternity.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: Bermuda reverses same-sex marriage
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 10:48:28 pm »
Teresa May's moral cowardice noted!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 11:30:28 pm »

I actually agree with the UK's decision not to intervene (though not with the Bermudan legislature's decision). It would undermine the principle of domestic self-governance that the UK extends to its overseas possessions for the UK Parliament to overrule the local government.

There are cases where I think the intervention would be appropriate (for instance, if Bermuda moved to criminalize gay sex again--it was legalized in 1994, but the age of consent for male homosexual relationships is higher than that for heterosexual relationships or female homosexual relationships; as near as I can tell lesbian sex was never illegal, because of course), but this isn't one of them.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Be weird, cause normal is boring.

From my rotting body, flowers will grow and I am in them and that is eternity.

Online Art Vandelay

• Greatest Person to Ever Grace this Shitty Forum
  • Kakarot
  • Check Your Privilege
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 06:45:29 am »
Honestly, If there's one thing I wholeheartedly support, it's politicians who don't try and enforce morality. It does far more harm than good overall.