Author Topic: Iceland proposes ban on male circumcision  (Read 1926 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Iceland proposes ban on male circumcision
« on: February 20, 2018, 11:54:30 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/feb/18/iceland-ban-male-circumcision-first-european-country

Iceland has proposed to ban male circumcision, except for medical reasons or when the recipient of the procedure himself gives informed consent.

Naturally, this has various religious groups up in arms, to which I would point out that if it hadn't been for religions proposing this atrocious violation of bodily integrity and human rights (I use the terms advisedly) in the first place, and somebody just showed up now and said, "Hey, we should cut off male babies' foreskins!" we would laugh them out of the room (at best).

I would also remind you of the mohels who remove the blood after a circumcision orally (which is already fucked up), and consequently pass on herpes to the babies, who often die from it.

Of course, the best take on the whole issue of circumcision is from Hitchens, who regularly ripped into rabbis for defending the practice.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Art Vandelay

Re: Iceland proposes ban on male circumcision
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 11:56:54 pm »
Good on Iceland (assuming this actually passes). Hopefully the rest of the civilised world will follow suit in the not too distant future.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 02:12:01 am »
I would also remind you of the mohels who remove the blood after a circumcision orally (which is already fucked up), and consequently pass on herpes to the babies, who often die from it.

This is a fringe practice, and one I consider outright heretical.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 02:25:02 am »

Slicing up an infant's cock in the name of your imaginary friend is totally reasonable, just so long as you don't suck the blood off it. Sure, seems perfectly sensible to me.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 02:30:34 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 02:31:02 am »

So I take it that you'd be in favour of--at an absolute bare minimum--throwing said mohels in jail for knowingly passing on STIs without informing anyone that they have them? (Up here, anyway, it's considered rape to have sex with someone if you don't inform them of what STIs you know you have.)

Never mind that you're performing an irreversible (this is the core of my objection--there's no way back; once the foreskin's gone it's gone for good) procedure on someone who cannot possibly understand any of the consequences and is utterly incapable of consenting.

And fringe practice or no, it happens, and it's fucked up way beyond what "regular" male genital mutilationcircumcision is.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 09:14:45 am »
Good, be rid of that shit.  More countries need to follow suit.  At the absolute best, it is a largely (except in certain circumstances) unnecessary form of cosmetic surgery; something that should be performed on adults, like all other forms of elective surgery.  At worst, it comes from an age where people would empty chambre pots into the streets and hadn't quite figured out the whole "don't start a fire in the middle of your floor" thing.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 02:30:05 pm »
I love how the "muh religious freedom" types are conveniently ignoring that a baby cannot hold religious beliefs or agree to be circumcised.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 02:32:17 pm by Lana Reverse »
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 04:49:27 pm »
Why does "my religious freedom" often translate to "my unwilling kids lack thereof?"

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 06:11:31 pm »
Christopher Hitchens on ritual genital mutilationcircumcision, particularly in Judaism:

...if you look at the reasons given by Maimonides and the other sages for the practice of circumcision, it is precisely to dull, and to blunt, the sensation of an organ which I don't think even, well, I'll leave it there. It's explicitly designed, in other words, to reduce sexual pleasure and make it more of a painful duty than a celebration.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 06:33:22 pm »
I guess I'm opposed to circumstition
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 09:50:36 pm »
I mean. the title is a bit misleading. It's banning forced/nonconsentual circumcision. Not the practice in general
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 10:51:48 pm »
I mean. the title is a bit misleading. It's banning forced/nonconsentual circumcision. Not the practice in general

Sure, I abbreviated.

And, in fairness, it doesn't even ban all of those--circumcision for medical reasons is still allowed.