Author Topic: Rebuilding FSTDT  (Read 19117 times)

Offline BobRumba

• God
Re: Rebuilding FSTDT
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2018, 10:21:51 am »
It does indeed need to be coded

OK, thanks for explaining.  I always wondered that.
Banana Monster ne répond plus!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2018, 10:35:50 am »
Any time!  Honestly, it isn't a tonne of work; the mainpage really didn't have very much on it.  But, there's always more than meets the eye, lol.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline BobRumba

• God
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2018, 10:44:16 am »
Any time!  Honestly, it isn't a tonne of work; the mainpage really didn't have very much on it.  But, there's always more than meets the eye, lol.

And to get people to help you with the job, would you need people who knew the coding, or are there "menial tasks" that could be assisted with by non-coder type people?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2018, 01:29:13 pm »
Short-term, probably.  I'll admit, my strengths are...not in making pretty sites.  I could make it clean and functional, but making it pretty is better suited to someone whose strengths are in HTML and CSS.

Offline BobRumba

• God
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2018, 01:51:08 pm »
Short-term, probably.  I'll admit, my strengths are...not in making pretty sites.  I could make it clean and functional, but making it pretty is better suited to someone whose strengths are in HTML and CSS.

Well, we have no choice but to work one step at a time.  Maybe someone can step forward at that point.  Or shy may return.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2018, 08:46:42 pm »
I put up a message on the subreddit regarding this topic; I felt people there (assuming they're not 100% represented here) have a right to know what's been going down the past little bit.

ON THAT NOTE.  I have two options on the technical side of things, depending on what servers we can find and/or how much they cost:

Windows Server

If a Windows-based server could be found that doesn't cost an arm and a leg a month to meet our needs, we'd have access to all the tech in the .Net family, as well as all the neat little extensions that have come across for it.  We'd also have Microsoft support in case shit hits the fan and it'd be an environment with which I am very familiar, as well as tech with which I am intimately familiar, excepting DotVVM.  The only real downside is that Windows servers tend to be more expensive than the alternatives, so monetary support would be more paramount.

Linux Server

Some flavour of Linux (maybe Ubuntu or Debian or somesuch) would be far cheaper than the Windows counterparts.  Unfortunately, this would likely preclude me from using a lot of the cool shit I know how to do in .Net, because I'd have to be relegated to Mono.  While Mono is mostly feature-complete when compared to current .Net versions, I'm unsure as to whether or not certain bits of tech (like DotVVM) would be compatible with Mono, as I've yet to evaluate that aspect of things.

However, there are Python-based solutions that could work fairly well.  I know some of the tech (Flask, Psycopg2) relatively well and Python is easy enough to work with.  The upside is that everything I'd use would be both free and open-source, so nobody would be likely to come breathing down my neck for whatever we'd be having in terms of monetary support.  I'm not as familiar with the frontend tech (Flask-Bootstrap), as I'm not really much of a frontend guy to begin with, but it seems simple enough to get the basics down and I'm sure there's a community out there, somewhere, where I could pose questions when they arise.

---

On the financial front, I think something like Patreon would probably be best.  Merch has a lot of added fees and crap tacked on that could screw us out of a lot of potential server keeping money and we'd have to worry about copycats popping up and trying to undercut us.  Something with both one-time and recurring donations would be simplest, and people could choose to contribute whatever they like.  Any and all funds would, of course, be put towards the site and nothing else.

I basically owe FSTDT for finding my fiancee; without it, we never would've met.  I will be fucking damned if I see it die an inglorious death to a combination of personal problems and a fucking bug.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2018, 08:50:54 pm »
What does that mean in actual pesos required per month?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2018, 09:09:13 pm »
A very, VERY rough estimate using Amazon would be ~$125 USD a month.  I'd need to know more about hosting options; Google Cloud is another, but I dunno if I can get a custom domain name with that or not.

Offline BobRumba

• God
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2018, 09:28:18 pm »
I basically owe FSTDT for finding my fiancee; without it, we never would've met.  I will be fucking damned if I see it die an inglorious death to a combination of personal problems and a fucking bug.

That’s the first real positive thing I’ve read here it a while and it felt good to read it, thanks. 

What on earth is up with shy though, my God.  He could be dead or anything, and the not knowing is brutal.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2018, 10:07:45 pm »
I know!  Its startin to bug me.

Offline Tricky Fox

• Neonate
  • never the same guy twice
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2018, 05:20:26 pm »

Well, we have no choice but to work one step at a time.  Maybe someone can step forward at that point.  Or shy may return.
which returns first, Shy or Jesus. Taking bets. Also, if FSTDT does die due to a constipated database and personal issues then WinAce will roll in his grave
Yeah, him.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2018, 07:30:11 pm »
That's why we're here, bruh.  The original data, for the time being, may be gone, but the spirit will remain.

Offline Tricky Fox

• Neonate
  • never the same guy twice
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2018, 09:38:54 pm »
That's why we're here, bruh.  The original data, for the time being, may be gone, but the spirit will remain.
The old site layout was dated as hell anyway, not really bad just old. When do you think the hosting will expire, it's been a month with no word, my conclusion is that shy pulled a "make it look like an accident" then bailed.
Yeah, him.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2018, 12:47:01 am »

I can't say that I have this level of connection to the site, but I've been a part of this community for over 10 years. If we're going down, we're going down kicking and screaming and that's how it should be.
Who needs a signature?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2018, 11:08:12 am »
What I'd really like to see would be a mainpage with more distributed leadership, as it were.  Ideally, we'd have a public-facing admin that can handle troll reports and whatnot and an engineering admin that handles code, data, and whatnot, with a backup person for each.  That way, one end can work on keeping the site in fighting form while not having to worry so much about approving quotes and booting trolls while the other doesn't have to worry about the database shitting itself when they're trying to deal with a new Dave Mabus or something.