Author Topic: What Stupid Thing did the GOP say today  (Read 8820 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
What Stupid Thing did the GOP say today
« on: December 20, 2015, 07:25:21 pm »
So I started this on another board I go to and it's gone over really well.  Rather then multiple threads on the stupidity of the GOP, here's on big super thread.  And I've got a doozy of a story to begin with.

America's next target in the War on Terror, Agrabah!

Yes.  That Agrabah.  30% are in favor of us bombing the fuck outta Aladdin, Jasmine, and Genie.  Why?  I have no fucking clue!  I think because it sounds Middle Eastern or something like that.

Ironbite-I am just flabbergasted that this could happen and will now go get a drink.

Art Vandelay

Re: What Stupid Thing did the GOP say today
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 07:31:27 pm »
That isn't just Republican stupidity. When Democratic voters were asked the same question, 19% were in favour and 36% were opposed (really now, that's 45% at the very most who realise that it's a fictional city). Far from being strictly Republican stupidity, this is the kind of stupidity that gives no fucks about political affiliation.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 07:49:47 pm »
That isn't just Republican stupidity. When Democratic voters were asked the same question, 19% were in favour and 36% were opposed (really now, that's 45% at the very most who realise that it's a fictional city). Far from being strictly Republican stupidity, this is the kind of stupidity that gives no fucks about political affiliation.

The options given were support, oppose, or not sure. Given that there wasn't a choice for "Agrabah is fictional", it's not obvious how you could tell how many people knew that. For all we know most people who noticed it just said "opposed" because bombing a place that doesn't exist is definitely a bad idea. Or maybe they think the Sultan is up to something nefarious, what with being an unelected, clearly incompetent ruler with access to magical artefacts of mass destruction.
Σא

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 08:06:44 pm »

The options given were support, oppose, or not sure. Given that there wasn't a choice for "Agrabah is fictional", it's not obvious how you could tell how many people knew that. For all we know most people who noticed it just said "opposed" because bombing a place that doesn't exist is definitely a bad idea. Or maybe they think the Sultan is up to something nefarious, what with being an unelected, clearly incompetent ruler with access to magical artefacts of mass destruction.

Fair point. So I suppose this poll is absolutely useless for knowing how stupid anyone is, then.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 08:15:49 pm »
Admittedly, if I were asked the question, I would probably say opposed as I doubt I would be able to recognize on the spot that Agrabah is the fictional city from Aladdin.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 08:29:55 pm »
Everybody talks about how bad Americans supposedly are at math and science, but I think we're far worse when it comes to geography.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 07:27:19 am »
Sounds good to me.  Less Disney shite in the world would be an improvement.

For a follow up we can do The Republic of Carbombya

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 09:29:22 pm »
good grief, Carbombya.

Well, there is no way the totally real middle eastern country in my works, Attackistan, could be interpreted badly! The Attackistani People are a good bunch. They...just have some bad eggs and the British Imperials who cut the country into existence had a really bad sense of humor.{s}
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 01:33:00 pm »
Donald Trump on Hillary Clinton's 2008 presidential campaign:

She was favoured to win and she got schlonged, she lost.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-clinton-video-claim-1.3376004
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 04:38:19 pm »

I get it!  It's stupid because it's factually accurate?

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 05:18:28 pm »
30% are in favor of us bombing the fuck outta Aladdin, Jasmine, and Genie.  Why?  I have no fucking clue!  I think because it sounds Middle Eastern or something like that.

Ironbite-I am just flabbergasted that this could happen and will now go get a drink.

Amongst Trump supporters it's 41%.

Bomb dat non Anglo Saxon named thingymijiggamy till they start prayin' to blue eyed Jeebus!

Uh, no that would be the "she got schlonged totally penised" bit. But I'd understand if you couldn't see a schlong if it was right in front of you.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 05:23:44 pm by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 05:21:03 pm »

No, it's stupid because it's needlessly crude.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 06:47:57 pm »

Pretty much what happened. One of the few insightful things Trump had on his mind.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 01:50:50 pm »
Oh just....I'm concerned the GOP really wants to murder our elected officals.  I really am.  Because this is just, I don't know anymore.

GOP is threatening to take away Virginia Governor's security detail over Attorney General's plans to ignore CCW permits for out of state gun owners

state GOP lawmaker miffed over new gun control measures is threatening to remove Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe's security detail, a threat the Democratic governor's spokesperson dismissed as a “reactionary temper tantrum.”

After Democratic Attorney General Mark Herring announced Dec. 22 that Virginia would no longer recognize out-of-state concealed carry permits from 25 other states starting Feb. 1, 2016, Republican state Sen. Bill Carrico called the move “all political” and told the Bristol Herald Courier he would move to cut McAuliffe’s security detail in January.

“A lot of the governor’s power is deferred to the General Assembly at that point and I’ll be getting with my colleagues to circumvent everything this governor has done on this point,” Carrico said. “I have a budget amendment that I’m looking at to take away his executive protection unit. If he’s so afraid of guns, then I’m not going to surround him with armed state policemen.”

That's great.  Don't like what someone's doing who's technically your boss?  Just threaten to have your supporters murder them and they'll fall quietly into line.

Ironbite-DEMOCRACY!

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 02:20:22 pm »
BACK FROM THE DEAD THREAD!  I SHALL NOT LET UP SEND THIS TO PAGE 2!

Man Carly Fiorina really must love kids.  I mean that.  The woman is pro-life so she must love kids.  And she must love kids so much to kidnap about 15 of them in order to be props for an anti-choice rally.

One of the things Carly Fiorina learned as CEO of HP was how to make use of available resources. On Wednesday, that meant capitalizing on the presence of little kids while on a campaign stop at the Greater Des Moines botanical garden. No longer were they preschoolers on a field trip—now, without the permission of their parents, they were props at Fiorina’s “right to life” forum.

According to The Guardian, Fiorina directed 15 children to the stage, where she instructed them to sit quietly in front of a banner of a fetus while she spoke about Planned Parenthood harvesting organs.

“The kids went there to see the plants,” said Chris Beck, a father of one of the children, to The Guardian. “She ambushed my son’s field trip.”

“Taking them into a pro-life/abortion discussion [was] very poor taste and judgment. I would not want my four-year-old going to that forum—he can’t fully comprehend that stuff. He likes dinosaurs, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Transformers.”

So where were the teachers in this endeavorer?  Caught unaware there was some sort of political thing going on I bet.  And there's the Fiorina campaign, just grabbing whatever comes to hand in order to shore up the poll numbers it's desperately hemorrhaging.

Ironbite-I hope someone sues.