Author Topic: Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark...Illustrations changed  (Read 2328 times)

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark...Illustrations changed
« on: June 27, 2012, 12:54:21 am »
http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2011/12/18/scary-stories-to-tell-in-the-dark-gammell-vs-helquist/

I know this story is several months old, but since I live under a rock I just learned about it now. Anyone else remember these books? I'll admit, they were way too scary for children, especially the pictures. The pictures inspired many sleepless nights. But I loved it. I checked them out from the library again and again. And now future kids will totally miss out on this experience. I feel sorry for them. And this passage here is dead on:

First published in 1981, Alvin Schwartz’s Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series has since become a necessary staple of every elementary schooler’s intellectual development. Namely, it’s how they learn that books can make you shit your pants.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
Re: Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark...Illustrations changed
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 05:36:22 pm »
Damn it.  The whole REASON I kept More Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark was because of the creepy art.  It was the one thing in children's literature that could ever send chills down my spine.

And now it's gone. :(
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 08:17:49 am »
I has a sad.  The pictures made that book...

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 02:12:47 pm »
I absolutely adored those books when I was little. I remember curling up with them in the reading nook our classrooms had and enjoying the creepy artwork.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 02:53:31 pm »
Wow, those pictures are creepy.  I need to find that book!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 09:52:25 am »
I has a sad.  The pictures made that book...
Indeed. I am gonna have to get myself some copies of the older edition. At least one of the ones I had as a kid got all wet and mildewy, so it would be nice to have a fresh copy.

And I hope I am being objective when I say the original art was way better in part because it was more nightmarish. A lot of these new ones look just silly.
-A Pen Name

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 01:03:07 am »
The sketch from "The Haunted House" is the creepiest thing I have ever seen. To this day, whenever I see it I'm like: