Author Topic: Neanderthal painting  (Read 4736 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Neanderthal painting
« on: February 13, 2012, 11:03:22 am »
Until now, archeologists thought that the oldest art was created during the Aurignacian period, by modern humans. But these are way older, way more primitive than the ones in Chauvet-Pont-d'Arc Cave, the 32,000-year-old paintings featured in Herzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams.

According to the latest dating of the charcoal found next to the paintings—used either to make the paintings or illuminate them—these seals may have been made more than 42,300 years ago. In fact, they may be as old as 43,500 years

According to Sanchidrían, all the available scientific data shows that these pictures could only have been made by Homo Neanderthalensis instead of Homo Sapiens Sapiens, something completely unthinkable until this finding. "The charcoals were next to the seals, which doesn't have any parallelism in paleolithic art" said the professor, "and we knew that neanderthals ate seals." And there is no proof of homo sapiens in this part of the Iberian Peninsula.

Imagine that, art started earlier than even modern1 human times. 

1. The term modern human refers to anatomically modern humans, as opposed to archaic humans and pre-humans. Not to be confused with the modern era, which started around the 18th century.

I forgot the link: http://gizmodo.com/5883082/this-is-the-first-painting-humanity-ever-made
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 11:11:40 am by gyeonghwa »
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
Re: Neanderthal painting
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 10:42:59 pm »
Sure, they painted, but did it sell?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 01:48:56 pm »
How old are modern humans? It's hard to get a date for that. Hell, I can barely get a date for the start of civilization.

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 05:40:42 pm »
There's no real good date for the start of civilization. It will also depend on how you define civilization.