Author Topic: 42% of Americans think you need God to be moral  (Read 2351 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
42% of Americans think you need God to be moral
« on: October 08, 2017, 09:07:27 pm »
Also some stuff about the separation of church and state.

http://www.people-press.org/2017/10/05/5-homosexuality-gender-and-religion/

There's a good amount of interesting stuff in this poll from Pew, but I'm going to look at this part in particular:

...excuse me?

42% of Americans say you need to believe in God to be moral?

Fuck you.

If believing in God is the only reason you're not going out and killing and stealing and raping and all that... fuck you need a real moral compass.

The misconception is especially bad with white evangelical Protestants, black Protestants, and Hispanic Catholics, as well as people aged 65 or more and people without any college education.

Plus, 53% of Republicans or those who lean Republican say you have to believe in God to be moral.

Fuck you, too. (And the 36% on the Democratic side.)

As for separating religion from government policy (which I hear is one of the subjects of the very first amendment to your Constitution)...

49% of Republicans who self-describe as conservative say they shouldn't be separated... and 54% of white evangelical Protestants do also.

If it's un-American to want to enact stronger gun controls because of the Second Amendment... isn't it just as un-American to want to have explicit government support of religion?
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Art Vandelay

Re: 42% of Americans think you need God to be moral
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 11:18:06 pm »
...And some people wonder why I think religion is an inherently bad thing.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 12:01:44 am »
Interesting that it only checked Christians. I know people of various other religions, and NONE of them think govm't should be involved with religion. Unlike ~80% of the Christians I know who think it should.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 12:23:55 am »
Interesting that it only checked Christians. I know people of various other religions, and NONE of them think govm't should be involved with religion. Unlike ~80% of the Christians I know who think it should.

Nobody from other religions wants government to be entangled with religion, because once you open that door it will be the Christians that win, simply through sheer numbers.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 12:42:13 am »
Looking at the age numbers, it seems to mostly be barely animate fossils who believe in this kind of thing.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 12:42:43 am »
I am completely unsurprised.  From what I've gathered, black people tend to not only be more likely to be religious, but also tend towards being of stronger conviction, same thing with Hispanic people.  For both of them, it's deeply engrained into their respective cultures; for Hispanic people, those natives that didn't convert to Catholicism by the Conquistadors were summarily executed.  For black people, it served as a form of comfort and solidarity during both the slave days and during the Civil Rights movement.

And old people and the uneducated are the biggest contributors to Christianity's numbers.

I don't much care for it, but I can't say that I'm surprised in the slightest.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 10:45:01 am »

If it's un-American to want to enact stronger gun controls because of the Second Amendment... isn't it just as un-American to want to have explicit government support of religion?

Something something America is a Christian nation something.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 01:31:33 pm »

Yup.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 03:37:47 am »

Yup.

The culture having heavy Christian influence doesn't make it inherently a christian nations. This is something that a vast majority of the right in this country don't seem to get.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 10:55:53 am »
It seems down from the George W Bush era. I think as non believing younger people get older it's going drop even more.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t