Author Topic: Tumblr: Ask Me Anything  (Read 44419 times)

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
Re: Tumblr: Ask Me Anything
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2012, 02:19:55 am »
No one has answered my question, though. :\
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2012, 02:33:11 am »
Art, Letters, back off.

This topic is not your personal shooting grounds.  Your questions have been answered.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 02:35:35 am by Zachski »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2012, 02:52:52 am »
Regardless of whether it's accepted in some academic circles, I've yet to see a compelling argument for why it's necessary to alter the definition of racism (and "power plus prejudice" is a fairly recent alteration of the original and still widely-accepted definition of the word). We already have terms to differentiate between its various forms, (internalized, systematic, institutional/ingrained, casual, etc.), so the "there needs to be a different term!" argument really doesn't wash.

And, quite frankly, I might be a little less skeptical of this definition if it wasn't used almost exclusively as a red herring when someone is called out on their bigotry and hypocrisy.

Edit: Also, I do realize language changes over time, but we're talking about a forced redefinition here -- and one that has some pretty drastic implications, at that.

The way I've had it explained to me is as follows: racism needs to be defined the way it is to more aptly demonstrate the power differences: the fact that it is a structure rather than mere belief.

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2012, 03:10:41 am »
Regardless of whether it's accepted in some academic circles, I've yet to see a compelling argument for why it's necessary to alter the definition of racism (and "power plus prejudice" is a fairly recent alteration of the original and still widely-accepted definition of the word). We already have terms to differentiate between its various forms, (internalized, systematic, institutional/ingrained, casual, etc.), so the "there needs to be a different term!" argument really doesn't wash.

And, quite frankly, I might be a little less skeptical of this definition if it wasn't used almost exclusively as a red herring when someone is called out on their bigotry and hypocrisy.

Edit: Also, I do realize language changes over time, but we're talking about a forced redefinition here -- and one that has some pretty drastic implications, at that.

The way I've had it explained to me is as follows: racism needs to be defined the way it is to more aptly demonstrate the power differences: the fact that it is a structure rather than mere belief.

So... in other words, institutional racism, a systematic form of racism marked by a power differential, is best distinguished from the more general concept of racism, in which one holds that another race is intrinsically inferior, by referring to institutional racism as just racism. Got it. Yes, everything is nice and clear now.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 03:12:13 am by MaybeNever »
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 04:31:56 am »
Black people

I CONTRIBUTED.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2012, 04:33:39 am »
Black people

I CONTRIBUTED.

RACISM IS OVER

EVERYBODY GO HOME
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Art Vandelay

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2012, 05:28:02 am »
Smurfette, Zachski, and I have already answered your questions. Multiple times. The fact that you are stubbornly incapable of even understanding those answers and instead continue to set up completely irrelevant strawmen is not our problem.
Strawman huh? Mind pointing out where exactly I've used a strawman?

Really now, I'm genuinely curious.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2012, 09:45:27 am »
Honest serious question about the SJW/racism thingy here. So, to use a harmless example, I would be wrong in assuming black people like fried chicken because they are black, right? I mean, that's the type of stereotyping that the Tumblr Army is trying to stamp out, right? Because by almost any definition, assuming black people like fried chicken is furthering the stereotype and blatantly racist. Is it equally bad in the Tumblrverse to assume that, being white, I like mayonnaise on my sandwiches? And if not, why? And if they are both wrong, is there a difference of degree?*

It looks silly, I'll be the first to admit. But I've seen a lot saying you can't be racist to white people. Maybe they're poes saying that, I don't know. 

*ETA question.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:33:01 am by rookie »
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2012, 10:58:56 am »
Is it equally bad in the Tumblrverse to assume that, being white, I like mayonnaise on my sandwiches?

On another note, where the fuck does this stereotype come from?

Back on topic, what is up with the whole "Die Cis Scum" thing? Are the people saying it Poes, or is it meant seriously? Because if it is, then how the hell is that justified?
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

• The Beast
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2012, 12:51:00 pm »
Honest serious question about the SJW/racism thingy here. So, to use a harmless example, I would be wrong in assuming black people like fried chicken because they are black, right? I mean, that's the type of stereotyping that the Tumblr Army is trying to stamp out, right? Because by almost any definition, assuming black people like fried chicken is furthering the stereotype and blatantly racist. Is it equally bad in the Tumblrverse to assume that, being white, I like mayonnaise on my sandwiches? And if not, why? And if they are both wrong, is there a difference of degree?*

It looks silly, I'll be the first to admit. But I've seen a lot saying you can't be racist to white people. Maybe they're poes saying that, I don't know. 

*ETA question.

Honestly, I've never seen that sort of stereotyping of white people except as parody. The argument there would be that there aren't really stereotypes about white people (no one says "all white people are rednecks", for example, because that's a class stereotype, not a racial one) and so the impact isn't nearly the same.

Back on topic, what is up with the whole "Die Cis Scum" thing? Are the people saying it Poes, or is it meant seriously? Because if it is, then how the hell is that justified?

The "die cis scum" thing is a serious point of contention in the trans* and trans* ally community. Officially it is supposed to be read with the same sort of feeling as the words "die in a fire" or "go die in a hole" is - not an actual call for death, but as an expression of frustration to scummy (read: transphobic) cis people. I've also seen it used as "die, cis scum" - like, not the cis part of you, but the scumminess. It's not supposed to apply to all cis people.

Now, Poes and trolls use it as a death threat or against all cis people, and a lot of people interpret it as a death threat, and there's discussion over whether or not the phrase shouldn't be use because of its potential to trigger suicidal people. Currently, the consensus I've seen is, "Use it if you are trans and you want to as an expression of frustration, and allow trans people to use it if they want, but don't use it as a death threat."

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2012, 12:54:52 pm »
Seems reasonable. I don't like it personally, but then I don't like "Die in a fire" either, and I don't rag on people for that. Thank you!
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

• The Beast
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2012, 01:44:51 pm »
Seems reasonable. I don't like it personally, but then I don't like "Die in a fire" either, and I don't rag on people for that. Thank you!

Totally understandable. I myself don't use it either (neither do I use DIAF) because I follow the George Takei philosophy of life, but I understand why other people do.

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2012, 02:29:07 pm »
Is there a goal for the SJW crowd? I mean like an achievable goal they can point to and say "This! Because of this, we have succeeded." Because what has been in F&B has been a bunch of people jumping on each other for seemingly random stuff.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

• The Beast
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2012, 02:35:44 pm »
Is there a goal for the SJW crowd? I mean like an achievable goal they can point to and say "This! Because of this, we have succeeded." Because what has been in F&B has been a bunch of people jumping on each other for seemingly random stuff.

Not really. While many SJAs are intersectional feminists (feminists who believe that true equality for women cannot be reached unless it also encompasses women of color, queer women, and trans* women), myself included, the goals for each individual issue are so numerous that one goal can't be sorted out over all the others. I suppose the ultimate goal is complete equality, but that is an ideal, not a tangible goal. There is a lot of disagreement over what issues should go first and what's actually accomplishable.

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2012, 02:45:59 pm »
I got that impression. Thanks.