Author Topic: White, short brown haired male game protgaonists.  (Read 3145 times)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: White, short brown haired male game protgaonists.
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 02:31:38 pm »
Never really been into JRPGs much.  And I've always thought quite lot of supposedly Japanese characters don't really look very Japanese, when it comes to facial features not the design or art style.  Not that it changes the fact they're not meant to be white, it's just soemthing I've always noticed since I was a kid.

It's one of those things where the Japanese will see an Asian character, and the Westerners will see a European character.

Like I meant to imply, it doesn't really count for what you're looking for.

I know that if you want to, you could play a black woman in Mass Effect... or any of the TES games... but those are "create a character" games.

Well as I said there are some asian characters I think look Asian but quite a few weren't created by Asian devs. Faith as I mentioned above, most of the "cast" from Sleeping Dogs and the Asian character option in Day-Z just for 3 random examples.

I did play all 3 Mass Effect games as a Femshep, although largley because I thought Jennifer Hale was the better voice actor.  My Femshep white though lol.  I became quite attached to her over the years, she was total badass.  She was a Paragon but if people though that meant she was a push over they thought wrong, very wrong.  As the Reapers discovered to their cost.  Think they could bullshit her with their 2 other alternative ending choices that were clearly lies? Assholes.

I seem to be slowly derailing my own thread here lol.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: White, short brown haired male game protgaonists.
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 11:24:48 pm »
Never really been into JRPGs much.  And I've always thought quite lot of supposedly Japanese characters don't really look very Japanese, when it comes to facial features not the design or art style.  Not that it changes the fact they're not meant to be white, it's just soemthing I've always noticed since I was a kid.

It's one of those things where the Japanese will see an Asian character, and the Westerners will see a European character.

Like I meant to imply, it doesn't really count for what you're looking for.

Well, it's actually more complicated than that. Japanese anime and manga (they both use near-identical art styles) are very heavily influenced by early Western animation, especially Disney. Anime and manga primarily distinguish Caucasians through hair and eye color (Americans are especially often blonde with blue eyes), while their actual facial features are nearly identical.

Basically, Walt Disney is responsible for anime and manga artists drawing Asians with Caucasian features for decades. He's probably not to blame for the almost embarrassingly racist depictions of black people, though.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.