Author Topic: Favorite Music of 2013 thread  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Otend

• Neonate
  • Elitist asshole
Favorite Music of 2013 thread
« on: January 11, 2014, 12:08:01 am »
title says all.  go nuts discussing what music you loved last year.

I don't feel like I've done enough listening to music from last year to pass judgement on what is the best of that year, as was the case in 2012.  However, there were some things that definitely caught my ears:

Deafheaven - Sunbather
One of the best mixes of black metal and shoegaze attempted yet.  There isn't a lot that sounds like this.

Death Grips - Government Plates
If you haven't listened to the noisy, experimental/industrial hip-hop collective known as Death Grips, you're missing out.  This album, released for free this year and dropped with basically no buildup, is incredibly visceral and intimidating to listen to.

Kanye West - Yeezus
ALL ABOARD THE YEEZUS TRAIN!  Seriously, though, this is an absolutely incredible album.  Ranging from harsh industrial (On Sight) to sparser pieces (Hold My Liquor), Kanye keeps shifting his style and doing each style in an excellent and unique way.  This is basically his Kid A.

Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady
Anyone who knows me knows how much I love Janelle Monae's The ArchAndroid (due to my constantly going on about it), so it should come as no surprise that I love The Electric Lady, as well.  Her best trait, the ability to jump between styles without feeling inconsistent, shines through yet again, and her performance is as great as ever.

Emptyset - Recur
I have heard basically nothing like this album.  It's somewhere between industrial techno, glitch, and noise, and it evokes emotions of dread and terror by way of its claustrophobic and intentionally repetitive production.

Anamanaguchi - Endless Fantasy
"Chiptune-infused power pop" is the best explanation of this band's sound that I can come up with.  Catchy and tight songwriting combined with a unique aesthetic make this a wonderful album.

Starbomb - Starbomb
This is far from the best album of the year.  It is far from the most intelligent or the best written.  However, in true Game Grumps/Ninja Sex Party tradition, it is packed to the brim with well-done dumb humor.

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Nandacollection
Eccentric pop from one of Japan's most unique pop musicians.  I can't really describe this well, unfortunately, but it's extremely good pop.

Sigur Ros - Kveikur
Sigur Ros went in a somewhat darker direction this time around, infusing industrial elements in their usual post-rock style.  The result is probably the best work I've heard from them.

Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels
The collaboration between El-P and Killer Mike is a hip-hop album not to be missed.  Tight performance, tight production, a fair bit of wit in lyrics, and many other factors make this one of the best albums this year.

How about you guys?  What did you feel stood out this year?

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Favorite Music of 2013 thread
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 05:30:05 am »
I was particularly impressed by Amon Amarth's Deceiver of the Gods.  I'm an AA fanboy anyway, so I was always going to love it, but I genuinely think this is their best release in ages.  It's got enough new stuff going on to make it stand out and sound different to their previous releases (AA's previous 3 or for albums get accused of sounding the same) but it manages to keep enough of the post With Oden on Our Side  sound that made me love them in the first place.  I haven't listened to any of their previous albums all year 'coz I kept re-listening to Deceiver of the Gods.  The downside is I like it so much it's made everything else in my music collection sound like shit by comparison lol.