Author Topic: If you know you're probably being conned...  (Read 1502 times)

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
If you know you're probably being conned...
« on: October 10, 2012, 11:17:04 am »
...but go along with it anyway, does that make you more of a sucker or less?

Context: Yesterday while I was walking to the metro station to go to work, I was stopped by a guy with crutches and a bandaged foot. He started going on about how I looked like a good person with a good heart, and he was disabled, out of work and homeless. He went out of his way to mention that it was through no fault of his own and that he wasn't recieving welfare or govt. assistance of any kind, and was driven by desperation to standing on the streetcorner asking people for money.

I was thinking he protested too much, especially talking up the good qualities he could supposedly see about me from just looking for a second before approaching me, but I didn't want to take the chance that I was wrong and pass up someone who was genuinely in need and just oversold himself. So I ended up giving him the last 85 cents in my pocket before going on.

Thoughts?
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: If you know you're probably being conned...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 05:02:25 pm »
If he's lying, you're only out 85 cents... if he isn't, it's at least good karma.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Undecided

• The boring one.
  • Bishop
  • Amateur Obfuscator
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 05:37:28 pm »
I'm kinda a pushover, so I play this argument in my mind to avoid being pressured by homeless people:

If you believe you have an obligation to help destitute people, then consider your choices. You could donate to a charity organization that you have taken some time to research. That way, you know that your income is being used effectively. Conversely, a person in the street—no matter how persuasive they might be—has no proof that they're going to do what they say (with your money). If you're going to spend, say, $100 on homeless people per month, it's clearly better to give it to a dedicated charity than to distribute it randomly to people on the street.

And if you don't donate to such a charity? Then, given the limits of your income, you do not want to help homeless people (at least directly: your may want to end homelessness using public initiatives, but that's not really important). That fact may be uncomfortable, but you should acknowledge it—don't let a stranger take advantage of your cognitive dissonance. In any case, the point is that you should budget your resources beforehand and decide the most effective course of action, rather than make a spontaneous donation on basis of somebody tugging at your heartstrings.
You mad, you lose.

People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant.
Helen Keller
Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.
Voltaire

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 05:55:19 pm »
I enjoyed telling NYC panhandlers that I could spare a dollar if they promised not to spend it on food. 
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.