Author Topic: Fan overreactions  (Read 4282 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Fan overreactions
« on: November 24, 2014, 02:10:58 pm »
Disney announced that the new Star wars trailer will be only shown in theaters and not online. Now someone had to call the whaaambulance: http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/24/7275513/disneys-limited-star-wars-vii-trailer-debut-strategy-is-a-mess

Oh, boo hoo. You'll either have to go to the theater or wait a few days before you get to see the trailer.

This strategy is ostensibly designed with the fans in mind, but by trying to use age-old promotional tactics, it's alienating a rather dedicated following, and more importantly, it's a slap in the face to those who care the most.

Point is, all year Disney has courted and benefited from a rabid online Star Wars fan base — and then it artificially limits the first big reveal to an offline audience that largely won't care about being first.

Yes. Because being able to type FIRST into the comment section of the Youtube video is all that matters. And how the hell is this an "artificial" limitation? What does it even mean in this context? This is just childish complaints and entitlement-syndrome.

But since this is not enough I thought we might also discuss other examples of fanrage and complaints. Naruto recently ended and the shipper rage has been immense. Didn't someone already post a few comments about it when people cried when their favourite yaoi pairing never happened "even though the signs were totally there and obviously on purpose." (The het-pairing complaints may have been even more numerous I think.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: Fan overreactions
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 04:47:09 pm »
Really? they're only showing it in cinemas? ...that's kinda stupid.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 10:08:15 am »
Do sports count?

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 10:12:21 am »
Do sports count?

Are you kidding? Sports are the only activity where fans will riot because their team WON.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 11:52:50 am »
Doom 3 was certainly wasn't a proper successor to the classic games, but the reaction to the flashlight mechanics was always a bit amusing to watch.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 11:58:00 am »
It truly was.  I mean the game itself is a product of it's time of crappy level designs and such but at least it didn't limit you to 2 or 3 guns at a time.  The Flashlight stuff was just hilarious.

Ironbite-glad they fixed that

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 01:36:56 pm »

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 01:43:08 pm »
Doctor Who fans overreact to damn near everything.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 05:26:06 am »
I feel like it would be more efficient to have a thread for times when fans don't overreact to something stupid. Then again, it'd be lucky to make it to three posts.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 05:57:51 am »
"Remember that time when they announced that thing and none of the fans declared it to be literally the [second coming of Christ]/[worse than holocaust] before even seeing it?"

"Me neither."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 11:35:19 am »
Superwholocks overreact to damn near everything.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 02:26:05 pm »
I don't know a single group of fans as thin-skinned and passive aggressive as Superwholocks.

There are people who are into anime and often bordering 2000's weeaboo throwbacks who will say "anime is trash". There are Homestucks who will also say "Homestuck is shit". As they jokingly agree with said statements (sarcasm is never funny if it's obvious), at least these people have thicker-skin.

Then again I'm going to say that I think most anime are trash and Homestuck and everything MS-Paint Adventures are not great either (except for Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff).

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 03:43:43 pm »
I am sensing that the latest Star wars trailer will provide much potential fodder for this thread. People are already complaining about the robot and the lightsaber crossguard. Someone was demanding that the fighting scenes should be redone by a coreographer who knows how to use a real sword even before a single second of the fight scenes has been seen...

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 03:52:30 pm »
People who identify themselves as part of a fandom are for the most part crazy. Fan is short for "fanatic", after all.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 05:29:26 pm »
Here's a collage of stupid reactions to the Twelfth Doctor:

(click to show/hide)