Author Topic: Rick Warren's son commits suicide  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Joey

• Bishop
Rick Warren's son commits suicide
« on: April 07, 2013, 03:32:22 am »
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/04/06/saddleback-church-says-rick-warrens-son-has-committed-suicide/

LAKE FOREST (CBSLA.com) — Pastor Rick and Kay Warren’s youngest son, Matthew, has committed suicide, Saddleback Valley Community Church announced Saturday.

The evangelical megachurch announced the death of the 27-year-old in a statement. He died Friday night.

Described as “an incredibly kind, gentle and compassionate young man whose sweet spirit was encouragement and comfort to many,” the statement said Matthew suffered from mental illness that resulted in deep depression and suicidal thoughts.

“Despite the best healthcare available, this was an illness that was never fully controlled and the emotional pain resulted in his decision to take his life,” the statement said. “We ask everyone to join us in praying for the entire Warren family and that God’s comfort and peace will be with them as they deal with this difficult situation.”

Nothing about a motive yet.
"A human is a system for converting dust billions of years ago into dust billions of years from now via a roundabout process which involves checking email a lot." - XKCD

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
Re: Rick Warren's son commits suicide
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 05:16:56 am »
Unless it turns out there was more to this than depression, my thoughts go out to Rick Warren and his family.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 09:22:26 am »
I'm certainly not trying to be cold or callous, but one statement in the article jumped out at me, and that was that despite the best healthcare available, this was an illness that was never fully controlled and the emotinal pain resulted in his decision to take his life.

It makes you wonder who it was that failed to get him the proper care and why.  Was it he himself that wouldn't go for medical help, or was it the family that had failed earlier in his life to have him properly diagnosed and cared for.  I hate to say it, but when dealing with super religious types, you have to wonder if they thought they could take care of it simply by praying it away.  Even if it was his own decision, just how much influence did his family have in his thinking?

My heart goes out to his family.  I know how devastated I would be if one of my children did this. 
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 11:34:23 am »
Depression can be hard to treat.  Even with the best healthcare, because you're not dealing with the body as much as the mind; the brain itself, although being a physical aspect is still very mysterious to modern medicine to this day.  At least, from my perspective, a lot of treatments are given on a trial and error basis.  Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  Sometimes when they do work, they backfire with added complications and side effects.

I don't know what to say now about this, so I'll just say I wish them peace, and I give my condolences.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 02:48:25 pm »
Depression can be hard to treat.  Even with the best healthcare, because you're not dealing with the body as much as the mind; the brain itself, although being a physical aspect is still very mysterious to modern medicine to this day.  At least, from my perspective, a lot of treatments are given on a trial and error basis.  Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  Sometimes when they do work, they backfire with added complications and side effects.

I don't know what to say now about this, so I'll just say I wish them peace, and I give my condolences.

You have to also remember that getting mental help can be easily meant met with heavy resistance.  It's not often people want to admit they have a mental problem.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 05:50:37 pm by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 03:09:04 pm »
I am sorry.  I know the pain.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 03:10:32 pm »
Yikes, that's awful. Thoughts are with his grieving family :(

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 04:19:16 pm »

You have to also remember that getting mental help can be easily meant with heavy resistance.  It's not often people want to admit they have a mental problem.

Yeah, that's also true.  Damn stigmas.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 04:48:19 pm »
Unless it turns out there was more to this than depression, my thoughts go out to Rick Warren and his family.

I say the same.

I hope the young man is at peace, now.

Offline ASkeptic

• Neonate
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 10:16:05 pm »
Though I personally never cared for much of Rick Warren's preaching, this is horrific. My best wishes go out to his family that they get through this difficult time.
"You know I found out recently that the word 'heretic' comes from the Greek word 'hereticos' meaning 'able to choose', which pretty much says it all, don't you think?" -Pat Condell

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 11:01:33 pm »
Sorry for the tangent, but...

This right here is why I consider FSTDT to be several grades above other places on the internet.  You guys haven't gone into full asshole mode after this matter, and are, in fact, expressing sympathy for his family.

The fact that you guys can set aside religion and politics over a matter such is this is why you're awesome.  Unlike some people on other sites who have acted like complete assholes over this.

With that in mind, I feel the same way.  The suicide of a loved one is never easy to get over.  I don't know why he committed suicide but nonetheless, my best wishes go out to his family, too.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 11:47:04 pm »
Shameful, depression can be really horrible. As much as I dislike Rick Warren, there is no reason to take it out on his son.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 10:14:24 am »
Sorry for the tangent, but...

This right here is why I consider FSTDT to be several grades above other places on the internet.  You guys haven't gone into full asshole mode after this matter, and are, in fact, expressing sympathy for his family.

The fact that you guys can set aside religion and politics over a matter such is this is why you're awesome.  Unlike some people on other sites who have acted like complete assholes over this.

With that in mind, I feel the same way.  The suicide of a loved one is never easy to get over.  I don't know why he committed suicide but nonetheless, my best wishes go out to his family, too.

*HUG*

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 11:13:50 pm »

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!