Author Topic: # BanBossy  (Read 4262 times)

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
# BanBossy
« on: March 10, 2014, 06:28:11 pm »
Link

Words fail me.  This woman literally wants to ban the word "bossy" because she thinks it's used to put down girls and discourage them from leadership.

1.  Last time I checked, both boys and girls can be bossy.  It's a gender neutral word. 

2.  Banning one word won't stop people from calling out bossy people, nor will it stop them from discouraging girls.

3.  Fucking google endorses this as do several celebrities (Beyonce who uses much worse B words).

Just... WTF? 

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: # BanBossy
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 07:18:43 pm »
Oh shit, Tumblr is leaking!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 07:37:02 pm »
Wait, I though it was meant to end the stigma against females in leadership positions, this is just fucking stupid.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 07:52:54 pm »
Oh shit, Tumblr is leaking!

This is the same person who wrote Lean In, so this doesn't really surprise me much. She's been roundly criticized by other feminists for her very superficial understanding of feminism (and her desire to distance herself from it to make herself more "palatable" to mainstream audiences), as well as her general lack of awareness of intersectional issues and why her advice doesn't apply to all women. Basically her book is about how women can solve inequality by all becoming CEOs, never mind that there are already systematic barriers in place that prevent women, particularly lower-class women and women of color, from getting the same education and opportunities.
So basically the "It gets better" for women?

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 08:15:47 pm »
I think this bitch also supports an even bigger bitch, Amy Chua (aka Tiger Mom). 

Me thinks the reason she was called bossy is because she is bossy.  Now she wants everyone else to refrain from using that word. 

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 08:19:33 pm »
I think this bitch also supports an even bigger bitch, Amy Chua (aka Tiger Mom). 

Me thinks the reason she was called bossy is because she is bossy.  Now she wants everyone else to refrain from using that word. 

Okay, then.  We can stop calling Mrs. Chua bossy...if we can instead call her a bitch, dickhead, asshole, or cunt.  Her choice.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 12:00:51 am »
Couple of things:

1. Are they literally trying to ban a word or do they actually mean people should refrain from using it?

2. "Bossy" is gender neutral but is often used in a gendered way. In other words it may be applied to women more often than men, or applied to women when they show the same leadership qualities that are expected of a man.

Seems to me that not using the word, at least in that way, isn't a bad thing at all.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 12:04:04 am »
Couple of things:

1. Are they literally trying to ban a word or do they actually mean people should refrain from using it?

2. "Bossy" is gender neutral but is often used in a gendered way. In other words it may be applied to women more often than men, or applied to women when they show the same leadership qualities that are expected of a man.

Seems to me that not using the word, at least in that way, isn't a bad thing at all.
I hope it's a complete ban, I don't want to have unfollowed those people for nothing.

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 12:05:29 am »
Or we can just ban this dude:

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 12:12:00 am »
Couple of things:

I hope it's a complete ban, I don't want to have unfollowed those people for nothing.
Nope. Looks like it's just discouraging double standards in the words we choose to describe men and women in order to encourage young women to get involved in leadership roles. Which may be ineffective, I dunno. But it doesn't sound nearly as draconian as the OP made it sound.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 01:05:02 am »
I've noticed when a man is assertive its good woman bossy

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 01:35:34 am »
On page 2 she does indeed confirm "we want to get rid of a word." So while the intention behind it is good, she's legit trying to get people to stop using such a term altogether in society no matter the gender it's applied to.

Which is the exact wrong way to go about it. Trying to ban a word doesn't get rid of the underlying societal problems that cause it to be overwhelming used in relation to females.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 07:00:00 am »
Or we can just ban this dude:

52, 53, 54! Bossy's record is no more!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 09:40:47 am »
On page 2 she does indeed confirm "we want to get rid of a word." So while the intention behind it is good, she's legit trying to get people to stop using such a term altogether in society no matter the gender it's applied to.

Which is the exact wrong way to go about it. Trying to ban a word doesn't get rid of the underlying societal problems that cause it to be overwhelming used in relation to females.

But that requires work and thought, and those are harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 12:20:10 pm »

Okay so they're trying to discourage the use of it altogether. Still like the message behind it though. I hope more people think about how we label assertive women.