Author Topic: Religious Affiliation?  (Read 50606 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Religious Affiliation?
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2012, 06:28:49 pm »
Ok Loki I get but....Baldur?  A guy who's mommy went to everything in the world save one thing and made it promise to not hurt him?

Ironbite-also any god who gets to be played by Anthony Hopkins is awesome in my book.

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2012, 08:31:32 pm »
He's a god of joy, beauty, and purity. I'm sure there's something there to whorship!  ;)

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Art Vandelay

« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2012, 10:45:25 pm »
I hear he also does good gates.

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2012, 12:10:49 am »
*snicker*

Yeah, the gods I most resonate with are two bastards and a pretty boy. No wonder I'm so confused... LOL.
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2012, 01:42:52 pm »
*snicker*

Yeah, the gods I most resonate with are two bastards and a pretty boy. No wonder I'm so confused... LOL.
Call him a pretty boy if you will, but he was a symbol of peace to many. Nothing wrong with that.

Well, he was until they starting throwing crap at him.

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2012, 02:17:19 pm »
Heh. Raised Lutheran, at various times in my life I have been an atheist, and agnostic, a Buddhist, and a brief flirtation with Daoism. Currently Lutheran again, but extremely liberal and all-inclusive, which gets me some grief from the establishment. Although I do not preach (I am a teacher at a religious school, and I can't be fired for my liberal, heathen views...TENURE, BITCHES!), I do occasionally substitute for preachers in the area. It's a good deal. An hour of work for $120 (tax-free) and a free meal. They usually pay in cash. Once they liked my sermon so much they gave me the contents of the collection plate: $234 and a coupon for a free oil change at Lube Stop. Score!

Due to a theology degree from a religious university in Ann Arbor, I am technically a member of the clergy, a Lutheran Pastor, which means I end up having to pay my taxes quarterly rather than on a pay-check by pay-check basis, and I have to pay 14% in FICA rather than the normal 7%, which sucks. It also means I am allowed to take direct deductions for any housing expenses such as utilities, maintenance, mortgage, and any durable household goods. With a little creative (and legal) accounting, I typically wind up tax-free on about half of my yearly income, which doesn't suck. My basic tax rate seems to work out to between 11% and 14%. All ministers and clergy do their taxes this way....which I kind of hate. I wish it was the same as everyone else since the laws are so arcane I have to hire a CPA to do them for me.

Heh. I only mentioned that since in other threads people are talking about taxes, and I thought you would like to know that the tax code is stacked in favor of clergy. If I were to go out and buy a $300,000 house....the tax code would let me deduct 100% of my mortgage payments right off the top of my income. I know pastors who get their taxable income down to 25%-30% of their actual earnings, dropping them into a 5%-8% tax bracket. I know one pastor who has worked it so that the church technically owns (and pays for) their ($140,000) home and (Cadillac) car, and pays them a "living wage" stipend each week of however much money he wants/needs, which by following the technicality of the law, is not a salary, so this person pays a personal income tax rate of 0%. Or probably less than that since they have managed to arrange things to qualify for both food stamps and the Earned Income Credit, which means he gets a refund when he paid no taxes. And he has the balls to be proud of it. He calls it "good stewardship."

The system. Don't you just love it?

Just out of curiosity (since you've followed different paths), what are your views on a higher power, afterlife, etc.?  I'm just curious as to what you believe, regardless (or not) of your religion.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #156 on: March 25, 2012, 08:26:53 pm »
Ok Loki I get but....Baldur?  A guy who's mommy went to everything in the world save one thing and made it promise to not hurt him?

Ironbite-also any god who gets to be played by Anthony Hopkins is awesome in my book.

I was more surprised that it was Loki AND Baldur.  Didn't Loki trick Hod into killing Baldur?
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #157 on: March 26, 2012, 05:44:55 am »

I was more surprised that it was Loki AND Baldur.  Didn't Loki trick Hod into killing Baldur?

Yeah... I honour Odin because he's a god of knowledge, necessity and sacrifice, Loki because he's a god of wit, change and bisexuality, and Baldur because I like the idea of peace and love.
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2012, 06:29:10 pm »
My dog was named Baldr...
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!