Author Topic: Fred Phelps is apparently near death  (Read 22386 times)

Offline fancy_kitten

• Bishop
  • The fanciest little kitten
Fred Phelps is apparently near death
« on: March 16, 2014, 06:30:03 am »
Apologies if this has been posted already, but I didn't see it anywhere.  I also apologize if this is the wrong place.  Anyway! here is the best article I could find: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2014/03/15/fred-phelps-founder-of-the-god-hates-fags-westboro-baptist-church-is-on-the-edge-of-death/    It seems everyone is jumping on this story, and I thought you guys would be interested in discussing it as much as anyone.  My personal thoughts on this are varied and kind of jumbled right now, and the thing that interests me most is that he was apparently excommunicated?  I'm really disappointed that the only people who know exactly why will probably never give us the real truth, but it's nice to think that the founder of that hateful group didn't believe his own crap and had a change of heart near the end.  I guess the most tragic thing about his death to me is that he is leaving the world after living the way he did.  I know it probably sounds super corny, but if I were near his deathbed right now I'd honestly kind of want to hug him, even if he doesn't deserve it.  I can't imagine what it must feel like preparing to die surrounded by people you've tortured, after devoting your life to torturing people, but it's probably pretty awful.    What do you think?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 06:38:58 am by fancy_kitten »
It's me, the little fancy kitten

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
Re: Fred Phelps is apparently near death
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 06:57:52 am »
I would really like to hear about the apparent excommunication. And if he has been excommunicated how can the church be keeping the rest of his family away from him?

If he has been excommunicated will his own church picket his funeral?

I would like to think that his funeral could be undisturbed but then I think that his family might only understand the terrible pain they cause if it is inflicted on them? Then again that assumes that they do in fact love him and wouldn't rather the attention.

Ultimately though I hope his grave becomes a gay hang out -hell I would get my picture taken over his grave kissing a bloke and I am straight.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 07:08:20 am »
I wonder what got him ex-communicated. didn't he start the church? Oh well, he can't die soon enough for me anyways

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 08:28:10 am »
Eeh, we all gotta die, eventually.  Fred Phelps is no exception.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 11:23:26 am »
I wonder what got him ex-communicated. didn't he start the church? Oh well, he can't die soon enough for me anyways

Given his virulent homophobia my guess is he confessed to having engaged in a homosexual act or two thousand.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 12:28:42 pm »

Given his virulent homophobia my guess is he confessed to having engaged in a homosexual act or two thousand.

Not even necessarily that. The WBC is the prime candidate for a purity crisis and Phelps apparently just wasn't hateful enough.

I wonder who they replaced him with?
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 01:16:49 pm »

Not even necessarily that. The WBC is the prime candidate for a purity crisis and Phelps apparently just wasn't hateful enough.

I wonder who they replaced him with?

Adolf Stalin.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 01:43:36 pm »
I'm with the commentors (sp?) saying to let the family have their funeral in peace. I don't like WBC either...hell, I once got my picture in the paper arguing with them at a counterprotest...but I think staging a protest, while possibly justified, would only fuel their martyrdom complex and make them double down on their stance. Better to let them fade into obscurity.

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Xander Zzyzx

• Apprentice
  • Now with 25% more devil
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 02:50:28 pm »

Apparently from what I heard, he was excommunicated back in August because his health took a downturn. If that's true, then it's amazing just how the WBC regards people when they'll kick out their own founder because of something like that.

It would be interesting to see if the WBC protests Fred Phelps' funeral, and to see what their reason would be for the protests.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 02:55:28 pm »
[removed to repost with a quote]

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 02:55:36 pm »
The article does not say Fred Phelps was excommunicated.  It was talking about other former members of the church that have been.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 02:59:38 pm »
The article does not say Fred Phelps was excommunicated.  It was talking about other former members of the church that have been.

Oh, that explains that. I mean, them excommunicating him for doing what a lot of elderly do on a regular basis would be...well...weird. I was about to go "Did they expect him to be immortal?".

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 03:05:34 pm »
 I think it'd be appropriate to have a bunch of people picket his funeral and if anyone asks why they are doing such awful things to them
"Hey bitch, you reap what you sow"

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 03:46:36 pm »
Read it again, Fred was excommunicated in August 2013.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 04:18:23 pm »
Fork 'im.  He was beneath contempt.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.