Author Topic: Petty Prayers  (Read 18498 times)

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
Re: Petty Prayers
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2012, 11:04:57 pm »
It's directed at B-Man apparently.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2012, 11:13:40 pm »
OK, time for the real "Enter Sandman."

/mod kilt on

Knock it the fuck off with the deliberate derails. In this thread or any other. It's getting real fucking old, real fucking fast.

/mod kilt off

So I'm not the only one who dislikes derails.  I should point out that there's a really thin line between deliberate and unintentional, although that hardly matters when it comes to annoyance.  Yes, mine was a bit more blatant in it's intent than others, but I sure don't see you bitching about other derails intentional or otherwise.  Also, I've been told to "get over" those.  Don't you know?  Derailing is part of the FSTDT community!

Now, back to the actual topic.  This isn't quite a prayer, but I've seen a bumper sticker that I don't quite recall fully.  The gist of it was "the Denver Broncos are God's team."  Maybe it was joking, but I found the humor of it lacking.

By the way, if you want to discuss the derail attempt further, take it into my derail rant, mmkay?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:21:34 pm by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2012, 11:51:09 pm »
Look dude there's derails that just happen and then...there's that.

Ironbite-that's more annoying.

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2012, 10:44:53 am »

So I'm not the only one who dislikes derails.  I should point out that there's a really thin line between deliberate and unintentional, although that hardly matters when it comes to annoyance.  Yes, mine was a bit more blatant in it's intent than others, but I sure don't see you bitching about other derails intentional or otherwise.  Also, I've been told to "get over" those.  Don't you know?  Derailing is part of the FSTDT community!

By the way, if you want to discuss the derail attempt further, take it into my derail rant, mmkay?

/mod kilt on

First, you will note where in my warning, which is not specifically directed at you, I indicated that I want it stopped in this OR ANY OTHER THREAD, so kindly put down your little persecution cross.

Second, don't presume to instruct me where I may or may not address issues. That is my decision, and I will address issues when and where they arise. So after you've put down your persecution cross, you can put down your condescension crucifix, too.

It takes a bit to get on my bad side, and you're not there yet, but you are walking down the path that leads there....

/mod kilt off
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

• The Beast
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2012, 11:19:55 am »

/mod kilt on

First, you will note where in my warning, which is not specifically directed at you, I indicated that I want it stopped in this OR ANY OTHER THREAD, so kindly put down your little persecution cross.

Second, don't presume to instruct me where I may or may not address issues. That is my decision, and I will address issues when and where they arise. So after you've put down your persecution cross, you can put down your condescension crucifix, too.

It takes a bit to get on my bad side, and you're not there yet, but you are walking down the path that leads there....

/mod kilt off

Thanks for the clarification that it's not just me you're directing this at.  Now, can we get back on topic?

I'm not sure how common it is, but I seem to recall a Simpsons episode where Bart, in his ever selfish nature, prayed for a snow day so he could study for a test.  Of course being a cartoon where you can steer the plot however you want, he got it.  He studied and got a D-.  Well, originally he got an F, but some direct oral knowledge - no, not that kind, pervert :P - allowed his grade to bump up to barely passing.

You all remember that episode, right?  Also, please don't derail this by going on about The Simpsons.

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2012, 12:09:05 pm »
Wasn't there an episode of M*A*S*H where Frank Burns where he decided to test God by praying each night and seeing if it came true the next day? If I recall correctly Hawkeye mocked him because apparently his prayer was that they have chocolate pudding at dinner.

Oh, and kudos to B-Man for letting it drop without further drama or attitude. You get an exalt.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

• The Beast
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2012, 12:17:39 pm »
I can't say I was old enough - or hell, born - to catch M * A * S * H during its original airing, and I can't call myself a TV Land junkie either, so I don't recall that episode.  He was praying for pudding?  Wow.  The sad thing is that while that was likely played for laughs, it's not that far from reality - or so I imagine.  Considering that my OP cited my grandma praying over a cartridge, I'd say it's not. >.<

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2012, 01:35:57 pm »
While not technically a prayer, I loathe athletes thanking God or Jesus for a victory.  It seems like every other boxer I've ever seen does this.  He may as well just come out and say "Thank you, God, for letting me beat the shit of this other man."  And it's just as bad in other sports.  Tebowing, anyone?

If, by some chance, there really is a god out there, I certainly would hope that it has more important things to do than influence the outcome of sporting events.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Juna Starrider

• Apprentice
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2012, 01:46:08 pm »
Good way to offend people at the dinner table as a kid?

"Yub a dub dub, thanks for the grub!  YAAAAAY GOD!" 

Apparently, my parents thought when you thanked God for providing you with food, you should thank him in the same way you thank Great Aunt Agnes for making you that itchy sweater, and not in the way you than Uncle larry for getting you that comic book series you always wanted.

• The Beast
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2012, 01:57:29 pm »
Good way to offend people at the dinner table as a kid?

"Yub a dub dub, thanks for the grub!  YAAAAAY GOD!" 

Apparently, my parents thought when you thanked God for providing you with food, you should thank him in the same way you thank Great Aunt Agnes for making you that itchy sweater, and not in the way you than Uncle larry for getting you that comic book series you always wanted.

Funny.  Last I checked, God is neither a chef nor a food company.  He doesn't even earn the money with which you buy the groceries or fast food you eat on a daily basis.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2012, 02:37:55 pm »
I do admit to praying a bit before races I watch... but it's usually for everyone's safety and wellbeing. 

A Daytona 500 win for Mark Martin would be a definite plus, should God decide to throw that one in just cuz, though...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 02:40:11 pm by SpaceProg »