Author Topic: Church of Sweden declares God not male, fundie snowflakes melt down  (Read 2949 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
https://www.rawstory.com/2017/11/castrating-god-conservative-christians-melt-down-after-church-of-sweden-says-god-not-male/

The Church of Sweden held a meeting at which they voted to recognize that God is neither male nor female.

And fundamentalist snowflakes have melted down over this.

Fundie Tears are so, so sweet.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Art Vandelay

Re: Church of Sweden declares God not male, fundie snowflakes melt down
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 09:56:25 pm »
So basically, this is like the time J. K. Rowling declared that Dumbledore was actually gay all along.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 02:02:01 am »
God being neither male nor female actually makes total sense in a way if you think about it for any length of time.  A being of that nature would not have a gender at least not in the way we do....why/how would an all powerful creature, the only one in existence, have any gender in the same manner in which regular biological animals do?  I mean what's it going to with those sperm or ovaries?  It's the only being of that kind.  It's supernatural with unlimited power; a being beyond our understanding, existing outside the realms of  the natural world of without conforming to the laws of physics and biology.  It wouldn't need to procreate in the way non-supernatural creatures do when it can literally speak entire universes into reality.

The only reason God is a "He" is because, and yep I'm going to be that person, in many cultures "male" is for whatever reasons thought of as the default whether consciously or not.  Which is reflected in Genesis when God created Eve as an afterthought to Adam.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 02:07:35 am »
I remember reading a book of Jewish mythology in which it's explained that at first, God created Adam and Lilith the same way, but Lilith got too uppity, so God kicked her out and made Eve out of Adam to emphasize that women are supposed to be subservient to men.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline BobRumba

• God
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 05:57:54 am »
I was once banned from a religion forum for referring to God as an “it”.  I was told it was blasphemy and I was removed.  Those who follow my posts probably know who i’m talking about.
Banana Monster ne répond plus!

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 12:02:12 pm »
I remember reading a book of Jewish mythology in which it's explained that at first, God created Adam and Lilith the same way, but Lilith got too uppity, so God kicked her out and made Eve out of Adam to emphasize that women are supposed to be subservient to men.

If memory serves, that version of events is actually in the Old Testament too.  The Bible contains multiple versions of several of it's stories, most differing quite significantly from each-other.  Why differing versions were included when the Bible was being compiled I have no idea; seems like a silly thing to do when you're trying to tell people it's the unerring word of God and it's all literally true and you MUST live your life by it etc etc.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 06:36:48 pm »
I mean, it makes perfect sense. For years fundies have told us that 'man' and 'woman' are biological categories defined by things like genitalia and chromosomes. God does not have chromosomes, or genitalia, or biology at all. They do not have a physical body. So clearly, God can't be gendered male.

...unless, of course, they think gender is not purely a fact about biology...
Σא

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 07:46:51 pm »
I mean, it makes perfect sense. For years fundies have told us that 'man' and 'woman' are biological categories defined by things like genitalia and chromosomes. God does not have chromosomes, or genitalia, or biology at all. They do not have a physical body. So clearly, God can't be gendered male.

Don't try to tell them that God doesn't have a dick and balls.

Offline SomeApe

• Bishop
just your regular ape

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 10:53:49 pm »

Navaros: GOD HAS A HOLY! RIGHTEOUS! PPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENIS!!
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 11:41:57 pm »

Navaros: GOD HAS A HOLY! RIGHTEOUS! PPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENIS!!

Obligatory links

http://www.fstdt.net/QuoteComment.aspx?QID=62318
http://www.fstdt.net/QuoteComment.aspx?QID=83409
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 11:44:06 pm by dpareja »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 11:48:34 pm »

If memory serves, that version of events is actually in the Old Testament too.  The Bible contains multiple versions of several of it's stories, most differing quite significantly from each-other.  Why differing versions were included when the Bible was being compiled I have no idea; seems like a silly thing to do when you're trying to tell people it's the unerring word of God and it's all literally true and you MUST live your life by it etc etc.

Considering that it was edited by multiple sources over a very, very long fucking time, I'm surprised its even grammatically coherent or legible.  That they added multiple origin stories is quite unsurprising.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.