Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1464392 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #6750 on: January 08, 2017, 09:11:36 pm »
I don't understand why Ian got so butthurt, unless he willfully ignored any and all context to find something about which he could get offended.  Askold isn't some "A Room of Our Own" ultrafeminist that took the SCUM Manifesto seriously.  He isn't prone to gross overgeneralization or inane, idiotic statements.  He's a relatively normal, level-headed Finn and a damn sight more mature than someone who cries misandry at something posted by a man like Askold instead of just asking for clarification.  But, who am I kidding?  Context doesn't matter!  Somebody might've insulted MEN!  Scuse me while I get my violin the size of a gnat's cock.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Even Then

« Reply #6751 on: January 08, 2017, 09:46:23 pm »
So the issue here is that Askold said "male gamers" and meant "this smaller subgroup that was complaining about the scantily-clad manmeat on display is mostly made up of male gamers, therefore male gamers were complaining about it", while it was received as "a large enough quantity of male gamers was complaining about the issue that male gamers were complaining about it as a supergroup"?

I don't know the specific numbers and honestly, I love myself too much right now to delve into them, but tbf, Askold, the original post was pretty ambiguous as to which one you meant. Reading it as the latter isn't completely unreasonable, and while I don't think you're thoughtless and bad at communicating, this particular one could've gone better.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6752 on: January 09, 2017, 04:00:36 am »
I think the main problem is that me am bad at communicating and I was too lazy to word my message accurately enough.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #6753 on: January 09, 2017, 04:59:16 am »
The nearby mall is a major Pokemon Go hotspot.  5 pokestops within a few minutes of each other, plus a couple more on the other side.  It also has a gym, but unfortunately, everytime I go, the gym glitches.  Too bad because that's the closest gym to where I live. 

I really wish they'd put in an update where you could fight wild pokemons.  Otherwise, it's kind of pointless to train anything.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6754 on: January 14, 2017, 04:14:58 pm »
Switch reveal was Thursday night and......oh boy.

Ironbite-me likey

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #6755 on: January 14, 2017, 09:35:57 pm »
Same. Also, the Breath of the Wild trailer gave me chills.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #6756 on: January 14, 2017, 10:10:19 pm »
So, guess who found PoP 2008 for $5 and is now playing the best Zoroastrian reference ever?  THIS WOMAN!

Also playing Hyrule Warriors Legends.  I can't seem to recall where I put my Pokemon Moon cartridge, and taht is bothering me.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6757 on: January 18, 2017, 06:41:36 am »
Now that I have a PC that can handle it, I'm finally getting into modded Minecraft. I have to say, being able to automate all of the grind is the most satisfying thing in the world.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6758 on: January 18, 2017, 09:29:23 am »
Yissssss.  Once you get a hang of the various basics, I highly recommend Reika's mods.  Very satisfying to play with, if a little dangerous (don't get into ReactorCraft without a test world), and things like Cave Control can make finding resources a little less of a hassle, since that specific one lets you tweak how frequent, and how large, caves and ravines are.  Oh, and Mekanism or EnderIO for logistics; the former if you're something of a min-maxer, the latter if you like having multiple pipes in one block space.

This is assuming, of course, that you're using 1.7.10.  I can't vouch for anything beyond that because the combat changes are a no-go for me until Reika gets on there and LegacyCraft gets rid of it.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6759 on: January 18, 2017, 09:55:38 am »
I'm currently playing through Agrarian Skies 2 just to learn all the most common mods. Granted, it's a tad outdated by this point, but it certainly can't hurt. Not to mention, I'm having a lot of fun with it (despite falling off the edge far more times than I care to admit). It feels like a real accomplishment to go from a few saplings, a couple of stacks of bonemeal and a piece of dirt to even just basic sustainability.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6760 on: January 18, 2017, 10:28:16 am »
Never played any of the quest packs, I prefer to just kinda do my own thang, but I've heard plenty of good things about AgSkies 2.  While 1.10+ do have some slightly interesting mods, they just aren't worth what you'd give up moving from 1.7.  Things like ProjectX (I just adore the aesthetic), Applied Energistics (I think there's an alpha/beta, but...yeah, did that with AE2, not doing it again) and, most damningly, none of Reika's stuff.  I've grown quite accustomed to having at least RotaryCraft and ChromatiCraft around; life without them is unacceptable.

Full disclosure, I am something of a homie of Reika's.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6761 on: January 22, 2017, 04:54:45 pm »
I...found a copy of Metal Fatigue.  I had forgotten how addictive this game was, though there not only needs to be a sequel (because it fucking deserves it), but also a little balance work...the weapon platforms are laughably overpowered.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6762 on: January 24, 2017, 08:31:33 am »
I swear, the bots had it out for me, this last time.  Had three of them, no alliances, and they all joined together...to completely fuck me right out of the gate.  I kinda want to figure out how to break into the game's files and fiddle with things; tier 1 mechs shouldn't be able to waltz past a dozen laser cannons and obliterate them whilst taking shit for damage.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6763 on: January 24, 2017, 09:49:44 am »
Isn't it a common problem in strategy games that the bots gang up on the human(s)?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6764 on: January 24, 2017, 04:34:54 pm »
Typically, they at least distract one another for a little bit.  The AIs weren't even looking at one another the entire bloody time.