Author Topic: "Frozen" Racism Controversy: Seriously?  (Read 15681 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
"Frozen" Racism Controversy: Seriously?
« on: January 09, 2014, 03:55:47 pm »
Some people are complaining that the Disney movie Frozen is racist for two main reasons, and both of these reasons are bullshit.  The first "reason" is because it doesn't have any POC.  Well, duh!  It takes place in 19th Century Scandinavia!  What do you expect?  The second is that the Sámi are "whitewashed".  To which I respond, have you ever seen a Sámi person in your life?  They look pretty damn white to me!

I'm gonna take this as yet another sign that the Social Justice movement has gone wildly off the rails.

You can read more about this "controversy" here: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/disneys-frozen-race-controversy
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:39:54 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: "Frozen" Racism Controversy: Seriously?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 05:38:01 pm »
That's Tumblr for you, finding controversies everywhere they look.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 05:42:15 pm »
I just don't get how these morons seem to assume that all persecuted people are dark-skinned.  I'm pretty sure the Irish and the Poles would have some choice words about that...

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 06:12:33 pm »
Actually most Sami are dark skinned
Same general stock as Inuits
Also the time period was never stated
But hey whatever lifts your skirt (I hate the phrase floats your boat)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 06:15:37 pm »
Really?  I'm pretty sure this girl would say otherwise.

Oh, and this was also the case back then.

True, there are some who look like this:

But I don't think they're the majority.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 06:16:13 pm »

Can I ask what you don't like about floats your boat?

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 06:41:25 pm »
few things its not just sami its a general trend of people ignoring POC that have been in Europe for centuries
like how many movies after movies ignore POC in Europe
keep mind that right now that is the main argument against immigrants is that Arabs are not Europeans or why can't Turkey enter the EU
Besides would it have effected the movie in any way if their boyfriends were dark skined
I dont like float your boat since truthfully there are better ways and worse ways of floating a boat

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 06:42:46 pm »
few things its not just sami its a general trend of people ignoring POC that have been in Europe for centuries
keep mind that right now that is the main argument against immigrants is that Arabs are not Europeans or why can't Turkey enter the EU
Besides would it have effected the movie in any way if their boyfriends were dark skined
Well, most actual Sami people don't seem to mind.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 06:58:00 pm »
I understand that
Just one of those things where I'm fed up with the general erasure of POCin Europe
Besides in between animated movies Disney thought it would be a good idea to give the native american role toDepp

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 07:11:48 pm »
Besides in between animated movies Disney thought it would be a good idea to give the native american role toDepp
Now that was racist.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 07:25:59 pm »
The Sami have always had a mix of Inuit-like and Caucasian features.

A group of people showing varying Sami feautes, c. 1900:

Paler Sami man in 1886:

Inuit-looking Sami in 1884:

Sami women in the 1890s, demonstrating a variety of features and complexions:

Granted, they have gotten much paler on average as group over the years due to mixing with other European ethnicities (as well as spending less time outdoors in the sun due to changing lifestyles), and the character in the movie isn't really an accurate portrayal of what a typical Sami would look like then or now (not so much because of complexion as his facial structure/features, as well as inaccuracies in the cultural portrayal), but the idea that they were all dark and had heavily Asian features in the 19th century is incorrect, and a complete erasure of Sami history.

While it's absolutely true that people frequently ignore the fact that a variety of different racial groups have lived in Europe for ages, calling the Sami "POC" is a heavily Americentric view of the issue. You're looking at things through the American lens of "white/not white is all that matters", which doesn't accurately represent majority/minority dynamics in other parts of the world. The Sami typically view themselves as a different ethnic group, not race, than white Scandinavians, and while some of them would be considered "POC" in the US due to possessing more Inuit-like features (while others would be viewed as 100% white), it's ethnicity & culture -- not race -- that's the driving force behind Sami issues.

Not to mention that "POC" is frequently viewed as an offensive term outside of the US, so using it to refer to ethnicities/cultures that mostly exist as distinct groups outside of the US is generally not a good idea.

That being said, I do agree that he was an inaccurate portrayal of what a 19th century Sami would have looked like, just not for the reasons SJWs keep giving.

Now that was racist.

Indeed. Same with what's-his-name playing the werewolf in Twilight. They wouldn't cast a white guy to play someone who's black or Asian, so why is it okay for them to continue to hire white actors to play Natives?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 07:36:17 pm by The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 08:54:23 pm »
Now that was racist.

I agree.  I like Depp quite a bit, but the role of a Native American should be given to a freaking Native American.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 10:34:56 pm »
I thought Depp WAS part native american.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 10:50:57 pm »
ARen't we all native american part  seriusly i hear it all the time im not racist im part native american pretty much would rather they were sami in the movie
also @Twilight
for some reason Meyer didnt want to make up a tribe she decided to take a tribe that lives in that area and make up history for thim
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 10:53:03 pm by kefkaownsall »

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 11:52:57 pm »
I thought Depp WAS part native american.

To quote him, "I guess I have some Native American [in me] somewhere down the line. My great-grandmother was quite a bit of Native American, she grew up Cherokee or maybe Creek Indian. Makes sense in terms of coming from Kentucky, which is rife with Cherokee and Creek." Sounds more like the standard blood myth most families have than a genuine claim (not knowing which tribe you descended from is a pretty big red flag), but even if it's true, having a distant Native ancestor doesn't really make him native in any meaningful way.

My own grandpa was 50/50 French and Huron -- something I can actually confirm based on what I've learned about his life from him and my mom, his ancestry being highly visible in his features, and the birth records I dug up while researching my family tree -- and would, by any sane definition, qualify as Native, but with only a 1/8th BQ and no real connection to the culture, I wouldn't call myself Native.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)