Author Topic: Scott Walker Codifies Work Discrimination  (Read 9598 times)

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
Scott Walker Codifies Work Discrimination
« on: April 08, 2012, 11:59:56 am »
Yes, he fucking did.

With a stroke of his pen on Thursday, ultra-conservative Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker quietly eliminated the state’s equal pay law that allows women and others who feel discriminated against to file charges in state and local courts.

Supported by big business in Wisconsin, SB 202 effectively repeals the Equal Pay Enforcement Act of 2009, which gave women time to file discrimination lawsuits against their workplace when they discover they’ve been paid unfairly for their work. The Act was a response inspired by Lilly Ledbetter, a woman who had been discriminated against by her workplace for years without knowing it and when she finally took the case to federal court, she won. But her case was thrown out by the conservative Supreme Court, which ruled that she filed the suit too late and should have filed it as soon as the discrimination began, even though she didn’t even know about it for years.

The Republican controlled Senate and House both voted to repeal the law. The Senate voted to repeal it in November of 2011, while the House voted for repeal in February of this year. Because of this, women in Wisconsin can be discriminated against without their knowledge and be paid less by their employers. Employers can do this and get away with it as long as women don’t have knowledge of it for a certain amount of time, which is wrong. That’s why Wisconsin passed the Equal Pay Act in the first place.

I'd love to know their justification for repeal. I want to know how exactly they spun this so it isn't blatant discrimination based on gender.

QueenofHearts

Re: Scott Walker Codifies Work Discrimination
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 12:08:55 pm »
First, the fact that the Wisconsin GOP would do this is just sickening. It makes me wonder how they can deny they are waging war against women, and sadly with this repeal other minorities as well.

Second, I don't think this will result in a huge change. The Lilly Ledbetter Fair pay act of 2009 (a piece of federal legislation) should cover this sort of thing unless there exists some nuance I'm not aware of.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 12:43:19 pm »
I might have said this before at some point, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Republicans, sometime around 2020, were suddenly exposed through a memo leak as classical Marxists attempting to provoke the USA and, by proxy, the Western world into a revolution. As a hypothesis, it explains their actions so much more than "they're really right wing", and is in fact the second best hypothesis for this purpose.

The first, of course, is "they're fucking insane".
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 12:52:25 pm »
Progress

Yer doin' it wrong
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Cloudy

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 02:43:52 pm »
I found this in the comments section:

it is so sad if any of you read these words on this page and believe that the heart of the matter is to keep women down. For those of you who claim to be educated, think through this and go read the real facts and see if anything in this article is real, or just a scare tactic? It is sad to see that the Obama administration is trying to scare women into voting Democratic. What ever your political affiliation, educate your self on the issues, don't just believe any political rant that is posted. Then make an educated comment.

Um....what?

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 02:49:22 pm »
Saw this coming. I mean look how much he cares about fair workplaces already
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 03:08:50 pm »
THAT SCUM.

THAT MISOGYNISTIC SCUM.

GET HIM THE FUCK OUT OF MY STATE!
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 03:20:11 pm »
Somebody should remind this guy that he was elected governor, not king.

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 03:56:23 pm »
Well, I looked for a reason, and look! Here it is!

Whatever gaps exist, he insists, stem from women’s decision to prioritize childrearing over their careers. “Take a hypothetical husband and wife who are both lawyers,” he says. “But the husband is working 50 or 60 hours a week, going all out, making 200 grand a year. The woman takes time off, raises kids, is not go go go. Now they’re 50 years old. The husband is making 200 grand a year, the woman is making 40 grand a year. It wasn’t discrimination. There was a different sense of urgency in each person.

He continues, “What you’ve got to look at, and Ann Coulter has looked at this, is you have to break it down by married and unmarried. Once you break it down by married and unmarried, the differential disappears.”

In fact, despite Coulter’s well-known expertise in the field, this is incorrect. A 2007 study by the American Association of University Women found that college-educated women earn only 80 percent as much as similarly educated men a year after graduation. Part of that is attributable to differences in life choices and family circumstances, but not all. “After accounting for college major, occupation, industry, sector, hours worked, workplace flexibility, experience, educational attainment, enrollment status, GPA, institution selectivity, age, race/ethnicity, region, marital status, and number of children, a 5 percent difference in the earnings of male and female college graduates one year after graduation was still unexplained,” it said. After 10 years in the workforce, there’s an unexplained 12 percent gap.

“The idea that pay discrimination is a myth is a myth in and of itself,” says Fatima Goss Graves, vice president for education and employment at the National Women’s Law Center. “Study after study has shown the exact opposite.”

Grothman doesn’t accept these studies. When I ran the numbers by him, he replied, “The American Association of University Women is a pretty liberal group.” Nor, he argued, does its conclusion take into account other factors, like “goals in life. You could argue that money is more important for men. I think a guy in their first job, maybe because they expect to be a breadwinner someday, may be a little more money-conscious. To attribute everything to a so-called bias in the workplace is just not true.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 04:00:15 pm »
Wage discrimination on the basis of sex is not only an expression of sexism, but it is a way of enforcing gender roles on society as well. Paying women less because they might make "life choices" assumes that women are "supposed to" raise families, while men are still supposed to be breadwinners. I'll be the first to admit that my father isn't exactly the best I could have hoped for, but realistically there's no reason why having a dick prevents one from raising children while the wife works outside the home. In fact, in economic climes like these, it's become something of a necessity in more than a few cases.

shykid

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 04:51:39 pm »
The GOP is starting to look more and more like a caricature of Saturday morning cartoon villains.

Then make an educated comment.

You first.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 06:51:16 pm »

it is so sad if any of you read these words on this page and believe that the heart of the matter is to keep women down. For those of you who claim to be educated, think through this and go read the real facts and see if anything in this article is real, or just a scare tactic? It is sad to see that the Obama administration is trying to scare women into voting Democratic. What ever your political affiliation, educate your self on the issues, don't just believe any political rant that is posted. Then make an educated comment.

Um....what?

"You only disagree with me because you're stupid and I'm smart. If you were smart like me, you'd know that Governor Walker has some nonspecific unbigoted reason to discriminate against women in the workforce."
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 07:24:59 pm »

Um....what?

"You only disagree with me because you're stupid and I'm smart. If you were smart like me, you'd know that Governor Walker has some nonspecific unbigoted reason to discriminate against women in the workforce."

"I'm not sexist, but it's fair and reasonable that women can be paid less than men because they're supposed to stay domestic."

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 07:46:33 pm »

Um....what?

"I'm not sexist, but it's fair and reasonable that women can be paid less than men because they're supposed to stay domestic."

"Besides, women choose to take time off work to raise their children. No one is ever forced by circumstances beyond their control to do things they don't want to do."

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 08:25:35 pm »

Um....what?

"Besides, women choose to take time off work to raise their children. No one is ever forced by circumstances beyond their control to do things they don't want to do."

Also they have vaginas and those are just icky