Author Topic: What the fuck is up with the term "neckbeard?"  (Read 9099 times)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
What the fuck is up with the term "neckbeard?"
« on: November 05, 2012, 03:16:48 pm »
So can someone help explain what's the deal with calling people neckbeards as a mean to insult them?  I mean, I've seen this term used a lot (sadly way too often against the brony community), and I'd just like to get a sense of what the fuck's the deal with it.  I've read a few definitions online of the term, but I'd like some input from you guys.

Edit:  Oops.  I totally meant to place this in "Society and History."  I'm a fucking moron.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Distind

Re: What the fuck is up with the term "neckbeard?"
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 03:28:18 pm »
The safe guess is the implied lack of hygiene/style. Neck beards are rather annoying and I don't have the faintest idea how people manage them. It's not that much work to shave your neck, and having a generation raised around metro-sexuals let's be glad they aren't calling for everyone to have a Brazilian wax weekly.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 03:32:01 pm »
The term generally refers to nerds who don't have a decent sense of hygiene or grooming, oftentimes because of an obsession with a hobby, whether it's gaming, roleplay, a fandom, etc. The most stereotypical example is this, the guy from South Park who reached a ridiculous level in WoW because he did nothing else with his life.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 03:59:30 pm »
The term generally refers to nerds who don't have a decent sense of hygiene or grooming, oftentimes because of an obsession with a hobby, whether it's gaming, roleplay, a fandom, etc. The most stereotypical example is this, the guy from South Park who reached a ridiculous level in WoW because he did nothing else with his life.

Not enough beard in that pic.

Neckbeard is a derogatory term used to refer to nerds. This is in accordance with the stereotype that nerds are inherently socially dysfunctional: unable to communicate verbally, read facial expression and are unhygienic (bathe, shave and groom) due to being addicted to a computer. Please note that what constitutes a computer is variable as well. Specifically, having a beard (unkempt or not) is seen as a sign that one is unhygienic, due to shaving being seen as necessary part of bathing.

An example:

Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 06:40:44 pm »
I always thought "neckbeard" was in reference to fat guys who grow beards to cover up multiple chins.
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 07:02:08 pm »
Never heard the term before now.  Seems lame.  About the same bite as doo-doo-head.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 04:57:50 am »
I've heard it used, mainly in my high school years and other places as another stock insult against nerds who dont have good hygiene and poor people skills. There seemed to be a lot of dislike for guys like that.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 07:16:55 am »
Specifically, having a beard (unkempt or not) is seen as a sign that one is unhygienic, due to shaving being seen as necessary part of bathing.

By that logic shaving one's head, legs, pubs, arms, chest, pits etc should also be a necessary part of bathing, I don't see how it's any different.

And yes, I shampoo and brush my beard. Although I'm not too sure why I bother brushing it, as soon as I step outside the slightest breeze fucks it up.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 07:25:30 am by Katsuro »

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 07:27:06 am »
I still don't understand the term neckbeard.
How exactly is a neckbeard different from any other kind of beard?

I can understand that having a beard can be seen as poor hygiene and hence can refer to say a geek who is so closed away that they never bother with hygiene, but I still don't see how said beard is any different from any other beard someone has and why it should be called a neckbeard of all things.

I will admit I don't know a great deal about proper beard hygiene, but do people with beards regularly shave the neck portion of those beards, because I don't think I have ever seen a bead like that. I seriously do not understand the "neck" portion of the insult neckbeard.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 07:35:23 am »

I will admit I don't know a great deal about proper beard hygiene, but do people with beards regularly shave the neck portion of those beards, because I don't think I have ever seen a bead like that. I seriously do not understand the "neck" portion of the insult neckbeard.

Well I've never had to shave my neck as I naturally don't grow hair there (I know technically everyone does but you know what I mean).

My beard is so long it hides my neck completely...does that count as a neck beard, even if the beard isn't actually growing from the neck?

Distind

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 09:06:49 am »
I seriously do not understand the "neck" portion of the insult neckbeard.
I think it was originally applied to people who's only beard was popping out of their neck, seen plenty of examples of that. Which I have to say looks funny. If coupled with a full beard it's not so bad, but I find it makes my neck itch like a bastard so I shave that off at the very least.

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 03:53:23 am »
I always figured it was a reference to chinstrap beards, which only look good on like six people in the world.
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline Itachirumon

• The Buzzing Digital Uke
  • Pope
  • The Highly-Caffinated Borderline Insane Uke
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 05:33:41 am »
I've just heard it used as an insult on and against members of 4chan for generally....acting like people from 4chan...
"Sleep is for the weak
Caffeine is my sacrament
Are those spiders real?"

I do NOT have a dubious relationship to sleep. We had a perfectly ambicable seperation

Ask me about the knife in your back!

When I die, they should process my blood into an energy drink - it'll be called Vampiric, and one dose will cause diabetes... Also, you might see noises.

"No.. can't eat... I'm fucking my catboy"

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 09:55:25 am »
Yeah, as some have said it's more about the beard hair around like the throat area of the neck, below where the normal beard usually stops.  Definitely a derogatory term against nerds or "unhygienic" people usually.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Quasirodent

• Pope
  • You knew it in your heart all along.
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 10:56:44 am »
I don't think not shaving itself isn't the unhygenic element, but rather that it's part of an overall image of unkemptness and lack of effort to appear socially acceptable.  There's also the element of trying to hide a fat chin/neck area since the stereotype is someone who's overweight from sitting in front of a computer all day.
Jesus had two dads and he turned out okay.