Author Topic: Ignore Feature  (Read 12893 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Ignore Feature
« on: January 04, 2012, 06:36:31 pm »
Can we have one implemented?

Ironbite-few people I'd love to never see post

Art Vandelay

Re: Ignore Feature
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 06:44:14 pm »
There already is.

Profile > Account Settings > Modify Profile > Buddies/Ignore list.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 06:45:44 pm »
Well I feel like a right fool

Offline Keiro Dreamwalker

• An Puisín Faolchú
  • Pope
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 06:51:48 pm »
... Lol. It kinda comes standard with forums these days. >_>;
You have made a place in my heart where I thought there was no room for anything else. You have made flowers grow where I cultivated dust and stones. Remember this, on this journey you insist on making. If you die, I will not survive you long. Dovie'andi se tovya sagain!

People so seldom say "I love you". And then it's either too late or love goes. So when I tell you I love you, It doesn't mean I know you'll never go, only that I wish you didn't have to.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 07:06:24 pm »
Not on Proboards.

• An Puisín Faolchú
  • Pope
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 07:10:42 pm »
... Except for Proboards. Fucking Proboards.
You have made a place in my heart where I thought there was no room for anything else. You have made flowers grow where I cultivated dust and stones. Remember this, on this journey you insist on making. If you die, I will not survive you long. Dovie'andi se tovya sagain!

People so seldom say "I love you". And then it's either too late or love goes. So when I tell you I love you, It doesn't mean I know you'll never go, only that I wish you didn't have to.

Offline Bezron

• a mysterious riddled spicy burrito wrapped enigma...stuck in some hot chick's colon dreaming of fanginas
  • Pope
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 12:47:50 pm »
Question on Ignore:

How does this work in relation to the rule stating that you must reply to direct inquiries in a thread?  If (for realistic example), Ironbite has me on ignore and I ask him a direct question, he will never see it and therefore be unable to answer.  Thus breaking a long-standing forum rule.

I would think it may be better to kill the ignore feature and people can just go back to ignoring posts they don't like (or sniping at them)

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 02:31:51 pm »
Can we have one implemented?

Ironbite-few people I'd love to never see post

Aww, what did I do?
Who needs a signature?

• An Puisín Faolchú
  • Pope
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 04:55:21 pm »
Question on Ignore:

How does this work in relation to the rule stating that you must reply to direct inquiries in a thread?  If (for realistic example), Ironbite has me on ignore and I ask him a direct question, he will never see it and therefore be unable to answer.  Thus breaking a long-standing forum rule.

I would think it may be better to kill the ignore feature and people can just go back to ignoring posts they don't like (or sniping at them)

I'm not going to kill the ignore feature. If they ignored you, and you ask them a question while knowing they've ignored you, that's not their problem.

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 04:59:25 pm »
Are you notified when someone puts you on ignore? I've never used the feature before, so I have no idea.

Offline Bezron

• a mysterious riddled spicy burrito wrapped enigma...stuck in some hot chick's colon dreaming of fanginas
  • Pope
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 05:32:44 pm »
Question on Ignore:

I'm not going to kill the ignore feature. If they ignored you, and you ask them a question while knowing they've ignored you, that's not their problem.

How would you know that they ignored you?  I mean other than the "welcome to ignore" post that they may or may not make?

• An Puisín Faolchú
  • Pope
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 05:34:47 pm »
Uh. Not sure. Either way, you could always request someone else repeat the question for you. Thusly, getting the question answered anyway.

Offline Bezron

• Pope
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 05:45:54 pm »
Uh. Not sure. Either way, you could always request someone else repeat the question for you. Thusly, getting the question answered anyway.

I think you may be missing the issue (or perhaps you are just dead set on having the ignore feature, or perhaps I am reading the situation wrong, and I apologize if that is the case).

The feature itself may end up causing conflicts with one of the long-standing forum rules:

• Address questions given to you, either by answering them or saying why you won't (such as "I don't know," "I'm not comfortable answering that," "it's personal and I don't feel it's your business," etc.).

In the past, people such as Nautical and Skyfire (among others) would attempt to simply ignore questions that they didn't want to answer.  This was especially significant during the Nautical mega-thread, as there were people on this forum (myself included) who were attempting to pin him down on his insanity.  It is my feeling that this type of feature is really going to end up hurting some of our more interesting discussions, since a user can simply ignore questions and say "oh, sorry, had them on ignore".  Alternatively, we end up with multiple people quoting every question, just in case.  Especially considering that it is currently unknown if someone gets a notice when placed on ignore (in my experience on other boards, there is no notification).

I think that this is the kind of thing that should be presented to the board as a whole for discussion before a final decision is made.  Unless, you know, we aren't that kind of board any longer and decisions are going to be made unilaterally.  Which is fine, but also good to know.

• An Puisín Faolchú
  • Pope
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 05:50:30 pm »

I think you may be missing the issue (or perhaps you are just dead set on having the ignore feature, or perhaps I am reading the situation wrong, and I apologize if that is the case).

The feature itself may end up causing conflicts with one of the long-standing forum rules:

• Address questions given to you, either by answering them or saying why you won't (such as "I don't know," "I'm not comfortable answering that," "it's personal and I don't feel it's your business," etc.).

In the past, people such as Nautical and Skyfire (among others) would attempt to simply ignore questions that they didn't want to answer.  This was especially significant during the Nautical mega-thread, as there were people on this forum (myself included) who were attempting to pin him down on his insanity.  It is my feeling that this type of feature is really going to end up hurting some of our more interesting discussions, since a user can simply ignore questions and say "oh, sorry, had them on ignore".  Alternatively, we end up with multiple people quoting every question, just in case.  Especially considering that it is currently unknown if someone gets a notice when placed on ignore (in my experience on other boards, there is no notification).

I think that this is the kind of thing that should be presented to the board as a whole for discussion before a final decision is made.  Unless, you know, we aren't that kind of board any longer and decisions are going to be made unilaterally.  Which is fine, but also good to know.

Nope, just that I don't care.

The thing is, I don't care because it solves SO MANY drama fests if people actually use the ignore feature. Yeah, I'm aware of that rule.

Feel free to discuss... but my official stance is that I really don't care for the reason I stated. I'd just like for people to use the ignore feature MORE if the people they talk with consistently gets in a fight with them on here. It kills drama dead. So to speak.

Offline Bezron

• Pope
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 05:57:01 pm »
Good to know, thanks